The Existential Quantifier, Composition and Contingency
- Kristie Miller
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
There is a good deal of disagreement about composition. There is first-order disagreement: there are radically different answers to the special composition question—the question of under what circumstances the xs compose a y. There is second-order disagreement: there are different answers to the question of whether first-order disagreement is real or merely semantic. Virtually all disputants with respect to both the first- and second-order issues agree that the answer or answers to the special composition question will take the form of a necessary truth or truths even though, as I will argue, such answers do not appear to be good candidates to be necessary truths. This paper provides an analysis of the concept of
- Braddon-Mitchell, D. (2003). Qualia and analytical conditionals. The Journal of Philosophy, 100(3), 111–135.
- Braddon-Mitchell, D. (2005). The subsumption of reference. The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 56(1), 157–178. CrossRef
- Cameron, R. (2007). The contingency of composition. Philosophical Studies, 136(1), 99–121. CrossRef
- Carnap, R. (1950). “Empiricism, semantics, and ontology,” Revue Intern. De Phil. 4: 20–40; revised and reprinted in Meaning and necessity, 2nd edition Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1956.
- Chalmers, D. (2004). Epistemic two dimensional semantics. Philosophical Studies, 118(1–2), 153–226. CrossRef
- Hirsch, E. (2002). Quantifier variance and realism. Philosophical Issues, 12(1), 51–73.
- Jackson, F. (2004). Why we need A-intensions. Philosophical Studies, 118(1–2), 257–277. CrossRef
- Parsons, J. (2006). Conceptual conservatism and contingent composition. Unpublished.
- Putnam, H. (1987). Truth and convention. In D. Zimmerman, P. van Inwagen (Eds.), Metaphysics: The big questions (pp. 392–398). Oxford: Basil Blackwell Press.
- Putnam, H. (1988). After metaphysics, what? In D. Zimmerman, P. van Inwagen (Eds.), Metaphysics: The big questions (pp. 388–392). Oxford: Basil Blackwell Press.
- Van Inwagen, P. (1990). Material beings. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- The Existential Quantifier, Composition and Contingency
Volume 73, Issue 2 , pp 211-235
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Kristie Miller (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Department of Philosophy, The University of Sydney, Sydney, 2006, Australia