I Am Still Not Here Now
- Stefano Predelli
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The problematic status of apparently true instances of ‘I am not here now’ has been noted since the beginning of the contemporary debate on the semantics of indexical expressions, marked by David Kaplan’s ‘Demonstratives’ (Kaplan 1977). According to Kaplan’s account of the meaning of ‘I’, ‘here’, and ‘now’, the sentence ‘I am here now’ is analytically true. Yet, as Kaplan recognizes in a footnote, the negation of this sentence may apparently be employed so as to convey a true content in cases in which ‘there is a significant lag between our production of speech and its audition’, for instance in cases of ‘messages recorded for later broadcast’ (Kaplan 1977, 491, footnote 12).
The debate about the puzzle to which Kaplan alludes took off in the late eighties and early nineties, with a handful of essays devoted to the analysis of recorded messages and written notes (Colterjohn and MacIntosh 1987; Sidelle 1991; Smith 1989; Vision 1985). But it is only in the last decade or so that the case ...
- Åkerman, J. (2009). A plea for pragmatics. Synthese, 170, 155–167. CrossRef
- Atkin, A. (2006). There’s no place like ‘Here’ and no time like ‘Now’. American Philosophical Quarterly, 43, 271–280.
- Braun, D. (1996). Demonstratives and their linguistic meanings. Nous, 30, 145–173. CrossRef
- Caplan, B. (2003). Putting things in context. The Philosophical Review, 112, 191–214. CrossRef
- Colterjohn, J., & MacIntosh, D. (1987). Gerald vision and indexicals. Analysis, 47, 58–60. CrossRef
- Corazza, E. (2004). On the alleged ambiguity of ‘Now’ and ‘Here’. Synthese, 138, 289–313. CrossRef
- Corazza, E. (2006). On the alleged ambiguity of ‘Now’ and ‘Here’. Synthese, 138, 289–313. CrossRef
- Corazza, E., Fish, B., & Gorvett, J. (2002). Who is I? Philosophical Studies, 107, 1–21. CrossRef
- Dodd, D., Sweeney, P. Indexicals and utterance production. Philosophical Studies (forthcoming).
- Egan, A. (2009). Billboards, bombs and shotgun weddings. Synthese, 166, 251–279. CrossRef
- Gorvett, J. (2005). Back through the looking glass: On the relationships between intentions and indexicals. Philosophical Studies, 124, 295–312. CrossRef
- Kaplan, D. (1977). Demonstratives. Manuscript. Reprinted in J. Almog, J. Perry, and H. Wettstein (eds.), Themes from Kaplan. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1989.
- Krasner, D. A. (2006). Smith on indexicals. Synthese, 153, 49–67. CrossRef
- Mount, A. (2008). The impurity of ‘Pure’ indexicals. Philosophical Studies, 138, 193–209. CrossRef
- Perry, J. (2003). Predelli’s threatening note: Contexts, utterances, and tokens in the philosophy of language. Journal of Pragmatics, 35, 373–387. CrossRef
- Predelli, S. (1998a). I am not here now. Analysis, 58, 107–115. CrossRef
- Predelli, S. (1998b). Utterance, interpretation, and the logic of indexicals. Mind and Language, 13, 400–414. CrossRef
- Predelli, S. (2002). Intentions, indexicals, and communication. Analysis, 62, 310–316. CrossRef
- Predelli, S. (2005). Contexts: Meaning, truth, and the use of language. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Predelli, S. (2008). ‘I Exist’: The meaning of ‘I’ and the logic of indexicals. American Philosophical Quarterly, 45, 55–63.
- Recanati, F. (2001). Are ‘Here’ and ‘Now’ Indexicals? Texte 127/8.
- Recanati, F. (2002). Unarticulated constituents. Linguistics and Philosophy, 25, 299–345. CrossRef
- Recanati, F. (2007). Indexicality, context, and pretense: a speech-act theoretic account. In N. Burton-Roberts (Ed.), Advances in pragmatics. Basingstoke: Palgrave Mac Millan.
- Romdenh-Romluc, K. (2002). Now the French are invading England!. Analysis, 62, 34–41. CrossRef
- Romdenh-Romluc, K. (2008). First-Person thought and the use of ‘I’. Synthese, 163, 145–156. CrossRef
- Salmon, N. (2002). Demonstrating and necessity. The Philosophical Review, 111, 497–537. CrossRef
- Sidelle, A. (1991). The answering machine paradox. The Canadian Journal of Philosophy, 21, 525–539.
- Smith, Q. (1989). The multiple uses of indexicals. Synthese, 78, 167–191. CrossRef
- Stevens, G. (2009). Utterance at a distance. Philosophical Studies, 143, 213–221. CrossRef
- Vision, G. (1985). I am here now. Analysis, 45, 198–199. CrossRef
- Voltolini, A. (2006). Fiction as a base of interpretation contexts. Synthese, 153, 23–47. CrossRef
- I Am Still Not Here Now
Volume 74, Issue 3 , pp 289-303
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Stefano Predelli (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK