Vagueness and Naturalness
- Ross P. Cameron
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
I attempt to accommodate the phenomenon of vagueness with classical logic and bivalence. I hold that for any vague predicate there is a sharp cut-off between the things that satisfy it and the things that do not; I claim that this is due to the greater naturalness of one of the candidate meanings of that predicate. I extend the thought to the problem of the many and Benacerraf cases. I go on to explore the idea that it is ontically indeterminate what the most natural meanings are, and hence ontically indeterminate where the sharp cut-off in a sorites series is.
- Barnes, E. (2006). Conceptual room for ontic vagueness. PhD thesis, University of St Andrews.
- Barnes, E. (forthcoming). Ontic vagueness: A guide for the perplexed, Nous.
- Barnes, E., & Williams, R. (forthcoming). A theory of metaphysical indeterminacy. Oxford Studies in Metaphysics.
- Benacerraf, P. (1965). What numbers could not be. The Philosophical Review, 74(1), 47–73. CrossRef
- Breckenridge, W., & Magidor, O. (ms.). Arbitrary reference.
- Eklund, M. (2008). Deconstructing ontological vagueness. Canadian Journal of Philosophy, 38(1), 117–140. CrossRef
- Kearns, S., & Magidor, O. (2008). Epistemicism about vagueness and meta-linguistic safety. Philosophical Perspectives, 22, 277–304. CrossRef
- Kearns, S., & Magidor, O. (ms.). Semantic sovereignty.
- Lewis, D. (1983). New work for a theory of universals. The Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 61, 343–377. CrossRef
- McGonigal, A. (ms.). Vagueness and context.
- Weatherson, B. (2003). Many many problems. Philosophical Quarterly, 53(213), 481–501. CrossRef
- Williamson, T. (1994). Vagueness. New York: Routledge.
- Wright, C. (1975). On the coherence of vague predicates. Synthese, 30, 325–365. CrossRef
- Vagueness and Naturalness
Volume 72, Issue 2 , pp 281-293
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Ross P. Cameron (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Leeds, Leeds, UK