Problems with Priors in Probabilistic Measures of Coherence
- David H. Glass
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Two of the probabilistic measures of coherence discussed in this paper take probabilistic dependence into account and so depend on prior probabilities in a fundamental way. An example is given which suggests that this prior-dependence can lead to potential problems. Another coherence measure is shown to be independent of prior probabilities in a clearly defined sense and consequently is able to avoid such problems. The issue of prior-dependence is linked to the fact that the first two measures can be understood as measures of coherence as striking agreement, while the third measure represents coherence as agreement. Thus, prior (in)dependence can be used to distinguish different conceptions of coherence.
- Akiba, K. (2000) ‘Shogenji’s Probabilistic Measure of Coherence Is Incoherent’. Analysis 60: pp. 356-359 CrossRef
- Bovens, L., Hartmann, S. (2003) Bayesian Epistemology. Oxford University Press, Oxford
- Bovens, L., Olsson, E. J. (2000) ‘Coherentism, Reliability and Bayesian Networks’. Mind 109: pp. 685-719 CrossRef
- Fitelson, B. (2003) ‘A Probabilistic Theory of Coherence’. Analysis 63: pp. 194-199 CrossRef
- Glass, D. H.: 2002, ‘Coherence, Explanation and Bayesian Networks’, Proceedings of the 13th Irish Conference in Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science, edited by M. O’Neill et al., Lecture Notes in AI 2646, Springer-Verlag, New York, pp. 177–182.
- Kemeny, J. G., Oppenheim, P. (1952) ‘Degrees of Factual Support’. Philosophy of Science 19: pp. 307-324 CrossRef
- Olsson, E. J. (2001) ‘Why Coherence Is Not Truth-Conducive’. Analysis 61: pp. 236-241 CrossRef
- Olsson, E. J. (2002) ‘What Is the Problem of Coherence and Truth?’. The Journal of Philosophy 99: pp. 246-272
- Shogenji, T. (1999) ‘Is Coherence Truth-Conducive?’. Analysis 59: pp. 338-345 CrossRef
- Shogenji, T. (2001) ‘Reply to Akiba on the Probabilistic Measure of Coherence’. Analysis 61: pp. 147-150 CrossRef
- Siebel, M. (2004) ‘On Fitelson’s Measure of Coherence’. Analysis 64: pp. 189-190 CrossRef
- Problems with Priors in Probabilistic Measures of Coherence
Volume 63, Issue 3 , pp 375-385
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- David H. Glass (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Computing and Mathematics, University of Ulster, Newtownabbey Co. Antrim, BT37 0QB, U.K.