Change of atmospheric condition in an urbanized area of Japan from the viewpoint of rainfall intensity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The atmospheric condition in an urbanized area of Japan was examined from the viewpoint of a 14-year trend in the rainfall intensity. To cancel the wide-area meteorological phenomena such as a typhoon and a front, the rainfall datasets obtained not only in an urban area but also in a rural area was studied. The rainfall datasets collected on a 0.5 mm rainfall basis was used. The rainfall intensity dominantly increased in urban area, while that in rural area neither increased nor decreased. An increasing trend was clearly observed for rainfall with precipitation amounts of 5 and 10 mm. Rainfall with precipitation amounts of 15 and 20 mm showed neither an increasing nor a decreasing trend. The results of this study show that there is a high probability of a connection between the urbanization and the change of rainfall intensity.
- Aikawa, M., Yoshikawa, K., Tomida, M., & Haraguchi, H. (1996). Characteristic behaviors of the methane concentrations in urban atmosphere of Nagoya with relation to atmospheric stability. Environmental Sciences, 9(2), 201–210.
- Aikawa, M., Hiraki, T., Tamaki, M., & Shoga, M. (2003). Difference between filtering-type bulk and wet-only datasets based on site classification. Atmospheric Environment, 37, 2597–2603. CrossRef
- Aikawa, M., Hiraki, T., Shoga, M., & Tamaki, M. (2004). Spatical variations and trends in acid deposition in Japan within a 100 km × 100 km region from 1986 to 1999. Water, Air and Soil Pollution, 157, 225–244. CrossRef
- Aikawa, M., Hiraki, T., Sumitomo, S., & Eiho, J. (2006). Distribution and variation of the air temperature from 1990 through 2003 in urban areas of hyogo prefecture from the aspect of heat island phenomenon. Bulletin of the Hyogo Prefectural Institute of Public Health and Environmental Sciences, 2, 1–9.
- Aikawa, M., Hiraki, T., Eiho, J., & Miyazaki, H. (2007). Characteristic air temperature distributions observed in summer and winter in urban area in Japan. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 131, 255–265. DOI 10.1007/s10661-006-9473-5. CrossRef
- Kanda, M., Inoue, Y., & Uno, I. (2001). Numerical study on cloud lines over an urban street in Tokyo. Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 98, 251–273. CrossRef
- Suzuki, H. (2004). Trend in the frequency of heavy rainfall events during the last half century over Japan. “Tenki”, 51(11), 805–816 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Tamaki, M., Hiraki, T., & Aikawa, M. (2000). Progress in acid deposition monitoring technology in Japan. Global Environmental Research, 4(1), 25–38.
- Change of atmospheric condition in an urbanized area of Japan from the viewpoint of rainfall intensity
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 148, Issue 1-4 , pp 449-453
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Rainfall intensity
- Acid rain
- Site classification
- Urban area
- Industry Sectors