An empirical study of estimating vehicle emissions under cordon and distance based road user charging in Leeds, UK
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper presents the impact of road user charging (RUC) on vehicle emissions through application of traffic assignment and pollutant emission models. It presents results of an analysis of five RUC schemes on vehicle emissions in Leeds, UK for 2005. The schemes were: a £3 inner ring road cordoncharge; a double cordon with a £2 inner ring road and a £1 outer ring road charge; and distance charges of 2, 10 and 20 p/km levied for travel within the outer cordon. Schemes were compared to a no charge option and results presented here. Emissions are significantly reduced within the inner cordon, whilst beyond the cordon, localised increases and decreases occur. The double cordon exhibits a similar but less marked pattern. Distance charging reduces city-wide emissions by 10% under a 2 p/km charge, 42–49% under a 10 p/km charge and 52–59% under a 20 p/km charge. The higher distance charges reduce emissions within the charge zone, and are also associated with elevated emissions outside the zone, but to a lesser extent than that observed for cordon charging.
- Beamon, B. M., & Griffin, P. M. (1999). A simulation-based methodology for analysing congestion and emissions on a transportation network. Simulation, 72(2), 105–114. CrossRef
- Carruthers, D., Edmunds, H., King, H., Lester, A., & Nixon, S. (1998). Dispersion modelling of emissions in an urban area. Report to the department of the environment, transport and the regions. Cambridge: Cambridge Environmental Research Consultants Ltd.
- CfIT (2002). Paying for road use report. London: Commission for Integrated Transport, HMSO.
- DETR (2000). The air quality strategy for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. London: DETR.
- EEA (1998). Europe’s environment: The second assessment. Copenhagen: European Environment Agency.
- Eggleston, H. S., Gaudioso, D., Gorissen, N., Joumard, R., Rijkeboer, R. C., Samaras, Z., et al. (1991). CORINAIR working group on emission factors for calculating 1990 emissions from road traffic, volume 1: Methodology and emission factors. Brussels: Commission of the European Communities.
- European Commission (1999). MEET: Methodology for calculating transport emissions and energy consumption. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
- Fridstrom, L., Minken, H., Moilanen, P., Shepherd, S., & Vold, A. (2000). Economics and equity effects of marginal cost pricing in transport: Case studies from three European cities. Helsinki: Government Institute for Economic Research.
- Jaensirisak, S., May, A. D., & Wardman, M. (2002). Designing acceptable and effective road user charging schemes. Traffic Engineering and Control, 43, 278–282.
- LDA (2000). Leeds: A summary. Leeds: Leeds Development Agency.
- May, A. D. (1992). Road pricing: an international perspective. Transportation, 19, 313–333. CrossRef
- May, A. D., & Milne, D. S. (2000). The effects of alternative road pricing systems on network performance. Transportation Research (A), 34(6), 407–436.
- May, A. D., Sheppherd, S. P., & Timms, P. M. (2000). Optimal transport strategies for European cities. Transportation, 27(3), 285–315. CrossRef
- Milne, D., & Van Vliet, D. (1993). Implementing road user charging in SATURN. Working paper 410. Leeds: The Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds.
- Namdeo, A., Mitchell, G., & Dixon, R. (2002). TEMMS: An integrated package for modelling and mapping urban traffic emissions and air quality. Journal of Environmental Modelling and Software, 17(2), 179–190.
- Stedman, J. R. (1998). Revised high resolution maps of background concentrations in the UK: 1996. NETCEN report to the department of the environment, transport and the regions. Abingdon: NETCEN.
- TfL (2004). Congestion charging—update on scheme impacts and operations: February 2004. London: Transport for London.
- Ubbels, B., Rietveld, P., & Peeters, P. (2002). Environmental effects of a kilometre charge in road transport: an investigation for the Netherlands. Transportation Research D, 7, 255–264. CrossRef
- Van Vliet, D. (1982). SATURN: A modern assignment model. Traffic Engineering and Control, 23(12), 578–581.
- An empirical study of estimating vehicle emissions under cordon and distance based road user charging in Leeds, UK
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 136, Issue 1-3 , pp 45-51
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Road user charging
- Industry Sectors