Macrofaunal recovery following TBT ban
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the United Kingdom, the use of TBT-based anti-fouling paints on small vessels was banned in 1987, and a biological study of the Crouch Estuary, a yachting centre on the south-eastern coast of the UK, was conducted in order to determine the ecological improvements resulting from this legislation. We present the changes in the macro-infaunal communities along the estuary in relation to declining TBT concentrations between 1987 and 2005. Although the major changes in response to the ban were observed within the first 3 years (primarily an increase in the number of crustacean taxa and a shift in community structure), with changes still apparent between three and 5 years, the temporal duration of this study allowed the rapidity of the response to be truly determined.
- Bolam, S. G., Schratzberger, M., & Whomersley, P. (2004). Macrofaunal recolonization in intertidal mudflats: The effect of organic content and particle size. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 306, 157–180. CrossRef
- Clark, R. B. (1989). Marine pollution, 2nd ed. (220 pp). Oxford: Clarendon.
- Clarke, K. R., & Gorley, R. N. (2006). PRIMER v6: User Manual/Tutorial. Primer-E, PML, Plymouth, UK 190 pp.
- Clarke, K. R., & Warwick, R. M. (1994). Change in marine communities: An approach to statistical analysis and interpretation. Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Natural Environment Research Council, UK, 144 pp.
- Cledon, M., Theobald, N., Gerwinski, W., & Penchaszedeh, P. E. (2006). Imposex and organotin compounds in marine gastropods and sediments from the Mar Del Plata coast, Argentina. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the UK, 86, 751–755. CrossRef
- Dahllof, I., Agrenius, S., Blanck, H., Hall, P., Magnusson, K., & Molander, S. (2001). The effect of TBT on the structure of a marine sediment community – A boxcosm study. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 42, 689–695. CrossRef
- Dowson, P. H., Bubb, J. M., & Lester, J. N. (1993). Temporal distribution of organotins in the aquatic environment: Five years after the 1987 UK retail ban on TBT based antifouling paints. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 26, 487–494. CrossRef
- Fioroni, P., Oehlmann, J., & Stroben, E. (1991). The pseudohermaphroditism of prosobranchs; morphological aspects. Zoologischer Anzeiger, 226, 1–26.
- Folk, R. L. (1980). Petrology of sedimentary rocks (184 pp.). Texas, USA: Hemphill.
- Great Britain-Parliament (1985). Food and Environment Protection Act, 1985. Her Majesty’s Stationary Office, London, 38 pp., Chapter 48.
- Hawkins, S. J., Gibbs, P. E., Pope, N. D., Burt, G. R., Chesman, B. S., Bray, S. et al. (2002). Recovery of polluted ecosystems: The case for long-term studies. Marine Environmental Research, 54, 215–222. CrossRef
- Hoch, M. (2001). Organotin compounds in the environment – An overview. Applied Geochemistry, 16, 719–743. CrossRef
- Kelly, J. R., Rudnick, D. T., Morton, D., Buttel, L. A., & Levine, S. N. (1990). Tributyltin and invertebrates of a seagrass ecosystem: Exposure and repsonse of different species. Marine Environmental Research, 29, 245–276. CrossRef
- Langston, W. J., & Burt, G. R. (1991). Bioavailability and effects of sediment-bound TBT in deposit-feeding clams, Scrobicularia plana. Marine Environmental Research, 32, 61–77. CrossRef
- Langston, W. J., Gibbs, P. E., Pascoe, P. L., Chesman, B. S., Burt, G. R., Pope, N. D. et al. (2000). Tributyltin (TBT) impact in the Thames estuary. Plymouth Marine Laboratory and Environmental Agency, Thames Region.
- Lapota, D., Rosenberger, D. E., Platter-Reiger, M. F., & Seligmann, P. F. (1992). Growth and survival of Mytilus edulis larvae exposed to low levels of dibutyltin and tributyltin. Marine Biology, 115, 413–419. CrossRef
- Matthiessen, P., & Gibbs, P. E. (1998). Critical appraisal of the evidence for tributyltin- mediated endocrine disruption in molluscs. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 17, 37–43. CrossRef
- Matthiessen, P., Kilbride, R., Mason, C., Pendle, M., Rees, H., & Waldock, R. (1999). Monitoring the recovery of the benthic community in the River Crouch following TBT contamination. Final report for the Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions (EPG 1/5/92), CEFAS, Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex.
- Matthiessen, P., Waldock, R., Thain, J. E., Waite, M. E., & Scrope-Howe, S. (1995). Changes in periwinkle (Littorina littorea) populations following the ban on TBT-based antifoulings on small boats in the United Kingdom. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 30, 180–194. CrossRef
- Miller, B., & Boyle, J. (2003). Assessment of TBT impacts and concentrations in Loch Ryan, Scotland. Scottish Environment Protection Agency, Tidal Waters, East Kilbride, Glasgow.
- Rees, H. L., Waldock, R., Matthiessen, P., & Pendle, M. A. (1999). Surveys of the epibenthos of the Crouch estuary (United Kingdom) in relation to TBT contamination. Journal of the Marine Biological Association UK, 79, 209–223. CrossRef
- Rees, H. L., Waldock, R., Matthiessen, P., & Pendle, M. A. (2001). Improvements in the epifauna of the Crouch Estuary (United Kingdom) following a decline in TBT concentrations. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 42(2), 137–144. CrossRef
- Ruiz, J. M., Bachelet, G., Caumette, P., & Donard, O. F. X. (1996). Three decades of tributyltin in the coastal environment with emphasis on Arcachon Bay, France. Environmental Pollution, 93, 195–203. CrossRef
- Ruiz, J. M., Bryan, G. W., Wigham, G. D., & Gibbs, P. E. (1995). Effects of Tributyltin (TBT) exposure on the reproduction and embryonic development of the bivalve Scrobicularia plana. Marine Environmental Research, 40, 363–379. CrossRef
- Smith, B. S. (1971). Sexuality in the American mud snail, Nassarius obsoletus (Say). Proceedings of the Malacological Society of London, 39, 377–378.
- Thomas, K. V., Blake, S. J., & Waldock, M. J. (2000). Antifouling paint booster biocide contamination in UK marine sediments. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 40, 739–745. CrossRef
- Waite, M. E., Waldock, M. J., Thain, J. E., Smith, D. J., & Milton, S. M. (1991). Reductions in TBT concentrations in UK estuaries following legislation in 1986 and 1987. Marine Environmental Research, 32, 89–111. CrossRef
- Waldock, M. J., Thain, J. E., & Waite, M. E. (1987). The distribution and potential toxic effects of TBT in estuaries during 1986. Applied Organometallic Chemistry, 1, 287–301. CrossRef
- Waldock, R., Rees, H. L., Matthiessen, P., & Pendle, M. A. (1999). Surveys of the benthic infauna of the Crouch estuary in relation to TBT contamination. Journal of the Marine Biological Association UK, 79, 225–232. CrossRef
- Waldock, M. J., Waite, M. E., Miller, D., Smith, D. J., & Law, R. J. (1989). The determination of total tin and organotin compounds in environmental samples. Aquatic Environmental Protection Analytical Methods, MAFF Directorate of Fisheries Research, Lowestoft. (4), 25 pp.
- Webbe, G. (1987). The toxicology of molluscicides. Oxford: Pergamon.
- Macrofaunal recovery following TBT ban
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 136, Issue 1-3 , pp 245-256
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- TBT contamination
- South-east England
- Industry Sectors