Macrofaunal recovery following TBT ban
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the United Kingdom, the use of TBT-based anti-fouling paints on small vessels was banned in 1987, and a biological study of the Crouch Estuary, a yachting centre on the south-eastern coast of the UK, was conducted in order to determine the ecological improvements resulting from this legislation. We present the changes in the macro-infaunal communities along the estuary in relation to declining TBT concentrations between 1987 and 2005. Although the major changes in response to the ban were observed within the first 3 years (primarily an increase in the number of crustacean taxa and a shift in community structure), with changes still apparent between three and 5 years, the temporal duration of this study allowed the rapidity of the response to be truly determined.
- Bolam, S. G., Schratzberger, M., Whomersley, P. (2004) Macrofaunal recolonization in intertidal mudflats: The effect of organic content and particle size. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 306: pp. 157-180 CrossRef
- Clark, R. B. (1989) Marine pollution. Clarendon, Oxford
- Clarke, K. R., & Gorley, R. N. (2006). PRIMER v6: User Manual/Tutorial. Primer-E, PML, Plymouth, UK 190 pp.
- Clarke, K. R., & Warwick, R. M. (1994). Change in marine communities: An approach to statistical analysis and interpretation. Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Natural Environment Research Council, UK, 144 pp.
- Cledon, M., Theobald, N., Gerwinski, W., Penchaszedeh, P. E. (2006) Imposex and organotin compounds in marine gastropods and sediments from the Mar Del Plata coast, Argentina. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the UK 86: pp. 751-755 CrossRef
- Dahllof, I., Agrenius, S., Blanck, H., Hall, P., Magnusson, K., Molander, S. (2001) The effect of TBT on the structure of a marine sediment community – A boxcosm study. Marine Pollution Bulletin 42: pp. 689-695 CrossRef
- Dowson, P. H., Bubb, J. M., Lester, J. N. (1993) Temporal distribution of organotins in the aquatic environment: Five years after the 1987 UK retail ban on TBT based antifouling paints. Marine Pollution Bulletin 26: pp. 487-494 CrossRef
- Fioroni, P., Oehlmann, J., Stroben, E. (1991) The pseudohermaphroditism of prosobranchs; morphological aspects. Zoologischer Anzeiger 226: pp. 1-26
- Folk, R. L. (1980) Petrology of sedimentary rocks. Hemphill, Texas, USA
- Great Britain-Parliament (1985). Food and Environment Protection Act, 1985. Her Majesty’s Stationary Office, London, 38 pp., Chapter 48.
- Hawkins, S. J., Gibbs, P. E., Pope, N. D., Burt, G. R., Chesman, B. S., Bray, S. (2002) Recovery of polluted ecosystems: The case for long-term studies. Marine Environmental Research 54: pp. 215-222 CrossRef
- Hoch, M. (2001) Organotin compounds in the environment – An overview. Applied Geochemistry 16: pp. 719-743 CrossRef
- Kelly, J. R., Rudnick, D. T., Morton, D., Buttel, L. A., Levine, S. N. (1990) Tributyltin and invertebrates of a seagrass ecosystem: Exposure and repsonse of different species. Marine Environmental Research 29: pp. 245-276 CrossRef
- Langston, W. J., Burt, G. R. (1991) Bioavailability and effects of sediment-bound TBT in deposit-feeding clams, Scrobicularia plana. Marine Environmental Research 32: pp. 61-77 CrossRef
- Langston, W. J., Gibbs, P. E., Pascoe, P. L., Chesman, B. S., Burt, G. R., Pope, N. D. et al. (2000). Tributyltin (TBT) impact in the Thames estuary. Plymouth Marine Laboratory and Environmental Agency, Thames Region.
- Lapota, D., Rosenberger, D. E., Platter-Reiger, M. F., Seligmann, P. F. (1992) Growth and survival of Mytilus edulis larvae exposed to low levels of dibutyltin and tributyltin. Marine Biology 115: pp. 413-419 CrossRef
- Matthiessen, P., Gibbs, P. E. (1998) Critical appraisal of the evidence for tributyltin- mediated endocrine disruption in molluscs. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 17: pp. 37-43 CrossRef
- Matthiessen, P., Kilbride, R., Mason, C., Pendle, M., Rees, H., & Waldock, R. (1999). Monitoring the recovery of the benthic community in the River Crouch following TBT contamination. Final report for the Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions (EPG 1/5/92), CEFAS, Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex.
- Matthiessen, P., Waldock, R., Thain, J. E., Waite, M. E., Scrope-Howe, S. (1995) Changes in periwinkle (Littorina littorea) populations following the ban on TBT-based antifoulings on small boats in the United Kingdom. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 30: pp. 180-194 CrossRef
- Miller, B., & Boyle, J. (2003). Assessment of TBT impacts and concentrations in Loch Ryan, Scotland. Scottish Environment Protection Agency, Tidal Waters, East Kilbride, Glasgow.
- Rees, H. L., Waldock, R., Matthiessen, P., Pendle, M. A. (1999) Surveys of the epibenthos of the Crouch estuary (United Kingdom) in relation to TBT contamination. Journal of the Marine Biological Association UK 79: pp. 209-223 CrossRef
- Rees, H. L., Waldock, R., Matthiessen, P., Pendle, M. A. (2001) Improvements in the epifauna of the Crouch Estuary (United Kingdom) following a decline in TBT concentrations. Marine Pollution Bulletin 42: pp. 137-144 CrossRef
- Ruiz, J. M., Bachelet, G., Caumette, P., Donard, O. F. X. (1996) Three decades of tributyltin in the coastal environment with emphasis on Arcachon Bay, France. Environmental Pollution 93: pp. 195-203 CrossRef
- Ruiz, J. M., Bryan, G. W., Wigham, G. D., Gibbs, P. E. (1995) Effects of Tributyltin (TBT) exposure on the reproduction and embryonic development of the bivalve Scrobicularia plana. Marine Environmental Research 40: pp. 363-379 CrossRef
- Smith, B. S. (1971) Sexuality in the American mud snail, Nassarius obsoletus (Say). Proceedings of the Malacological Society of London 39: pp. 377-378
- Thomas, K. V., Blake, S. J., Waldock, M. J. (2000) Antifouling paint booster biocide contamination in UK marine sediments. Marine Pollution Bulletin 40: pp. 739-745 CrossRef
- Waite, M. E., Waldock, M. J., Thain, J. E., Smith, D. J., Milton, S. M. (1991) Reductions in TBT concentrations in UK estuaries following legislation in 1986 and 1987. Marine Environmental Research 32: pp. 89-111 CrossRef
- Waldock, M. J., Thain, J. E., Waite, M. E. (1987) The distribution and potential toxic effects of TBT in estuaries during 1986. Applied Organometallic Chemistry 1: pp. 287-301 CrossRef
- Waldock, R., Rees, H. L., Matthiessen, P., Pendle, M. A. (1999) Surveys of the benthic infauna of the Crouch estuary in relation to TBT contamination. Journal of the Marine Biological Association UK 79: pp. 225-232 CrossRef
- Waldock, M. J., Waite, M. E., Miller, D., Smith, D. J., & Law, R. J. (1989). The determination of total tin and organotin compounds in environmental samples. Aquatic Environmental Protection Analytical Methods, MAFF Directorate of Fisheries Research, Lowestoft. (4), 25 pp.
- Webbe, G. (1987) The toxicology of molluscicides. Pergamon, Oxford
- Macrofaunal recovery following TBT ban
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 136, Issue 1-3 , pp 245-256
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- TBT contamination
- South-east England
- Industry Sectors