Investigation of heavy metal contaminations in the lower Sakarya river water and sediments
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this work, water and sediment samples were collected from three different stations located along the Sakarya river between May and September 2003. Lead, copper, chromium, zinc, nickel and cadmium concentrations were determined by using solvent extraction and flame atomic absorption spectrometric method. The results show that differences based upon sampling times, regions, sediment and water samples were observed. The mean levels of copper, nickel, chromium, lead, cadmium, zinc for sediment samples are; 4.630 μg g−1, 13.520 μg g−1, 8.780 μg g−1, 2.550 μg g−1, 9.990 μg g−1 and for water samples are; 0.851 μg g−1, 1.050 μg g−1, 0.027 μg g−1, 1.786 μg g−1, 0.236 μg g−1, 0.173 μg g−1, respectively.
- Akĉay, H., Oguz, A., & Karapire, C. (2003). Study of heavy metal pollution and speciation in Buyuk Menderes and Gediz river sediments. Water Research, 37(4), 813–822. CrossRef
- Barceló, D. (2004). Analysis of soil, sediment and sludge. Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 23(10–11), 677–679. CrossRef
- Barlas, N. (1999). A Pilot Study of Heavy Metal Concentration in Various Environments and Fishes in Upper Sakarya Basin, Turkey. Environmental Toxicology, 14(3), 367–373. CrossRef
- CRM Lake Sediment IAEA-SL-1 (1979). Int. Atomic Energy Agengy.
- Dundar, M.S., Altundag, H. (2002). Adapazari, .Iĉme Suyunda Solvent Ekstraksiyon ve Alevli Atomik Absorpsiyon Spektrometresiyle Kurŝun, Kadmiyum, Baki r, Ĉinko ve Demir Tayini (in Turkish). Anadolu Üniversitesi Bilim ve Teknoloji Dergisi, 3(1), 89–93.
- Fytianos, K., & Lourantou, A. (2004). Speciation of elements in sediment samples collected at lakes Volvi and Koronia, N.Greece. Environment International, 30, 11–17. CrossRef
- Nightingale, H.I. (1987). Accumulation of As, Ni, Cu, and Pb in retention and recharge basins soils from urban runoff. Water Resources Bulletin, 23, 663–672.
- Pekey, H., Karakaŝ, D., Ayberk, S., Tolun, L., & Bakouglu, M. (2004). Ecological risk assessment using trace elements from surface sediments of .Izmit Bay (Northeastern Marmara Sea) Turkey. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 48, 946–953. CrossRef
- Soylak, M., Divrikli, U., Saracoglu S, & Elci L. (2002). Monitoring trace metal levels in Yozgat-Turkey: Copper, iron, nickel, cobalt, lead, cadmium, manganese and chromium levels in stream sediments. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, 11(1), 47–51.
- TS 266: 1984, .Iĉme Sularí, Törk Standartlari Enstitüsü, Ankara.
- Tuzen, M. (2003). Determination of trace metals in the river Yeŝili rmak sediments in Tokat, Turkey using sequential extraction procedure. Microchemical Journal, 74, 105–110. CrossRef
- Öztürk, F., & Apaydi n, H. (2001). Suspended Sediment Loads Through Flood Events for Streams of Sakarya River Basin. Turk Journal of Engineering Environmental Science, 25, 643–650.
- WHO: 2005, http://www.who.int/water\sanitation\health/dwq/en/gdwq3\8.pdf.
- Investigation of heavy metal contaminations in the lower Sakarya river water and sediments
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 128, Issue 1-3 , pp 177-181
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Heavy metal
- Sakarya river
- Flame atomic absorption spectrometry
- Turkish study
- Industry Sectors