A More Cost-Effective Emap Benthic Macrofaunal Sampling Protocol
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Benthic macrofaunal sampling protocols in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Program (EMAP) are to collect 30 to 50 random benthic macrofauna [defined as animals retained on a 0.5 mm (East and Gulf Coasts, USA) or a 1.0 mm mesh sieve (West Coast, USA)] samples per reporting unit using a 0.044 m2 (East and Gulf Coasts) or 0.1 m2 (West Coast) grab. Benthic macrofaunal community conditions in the reporting unit are characterized by cumulative distribution functions (CDFs) on end points of interest, such as number of species (S), abundance (A), and Shannon--Wiener diversity (H′). An EMAP and a companion field study were conducted concurrently in Tillamook Bay (Oregon, USA) to compare the cost effectiveness of benthic macrofauna samples collected using the EMAP West Coast (0.1 m2 × ≥7 cm deep, 1.0 mm mesh), a 0.01 m2 × 5 cm deep, 1.0 mm mesh, and a 0.01 m2 × 5 cm deep, 0.5 mm mesh sampling protocol. Cost was estimated in relative laboratory sample-processing time. Sampling protocols were judged equally effective for EMAP purposes if, after linear transformation to adjust for scale changes in end point distributions, their S, A, and H′ CDFs were not significantly different. The 0.01 m2 × 5 cm deep, 1.0 mm mesh sampling protocol was the most cost effective.
- Andrew, N. L. and Mapstone, B. D.: 1987, ‘Sampling and the description of spatial pattern in marine ecology’, Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Annu. Rev. 25, 39–90.
- Blair, R.: 2001, ‘Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Program: West — Research Strategy’, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, Corvallis, Oregon.
- Clarke, K. R. and Warwick, R. M.: 1998, ‘Quantifying structural redundancy in ecological communities’, Oecologia 113, 278–289. CrossRef
- Clarke, K. R. and Warwick, R. M.: 2001, Change in Marine Communities: An Approach to Statistical Analysis and Interpretation, 2nd ed., PRIMER-E: Plymouth, UK.
- Cochran, W. G.: 1977, Sampling Techniques, 3rd ed., John Wiley & Sons, NY.
- Coulton, K., Williams, P. and Benner, P.: 1996, ‘An environmental history of the Tillimook Bay Estuary and Watershed’, Tillamook Bay National Estuary Project Technical Report 68, Tillamook Bay National Estuary Project, Garibaldi, Oregon.
- Diaz-Ramos, S., Stevens, D. L. and Olsen, A. R.: 1996, EMAP Statistics Methods Manual, EPA/620/R-96/002, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, Corvallis, Oregon.
- Eleftheriou, A. and Holme, N. A.: 1984, ‘Macrofauna Techniques’, in: N. A. Holme and A. D. McIntyre (eds), Methods for the Study of Marine Benthos, 2nd ed., IBP Handbook No. 16, Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK, pp. 140–216.
- Elliott, J. M.: 1983, Some Methods for the Statistical Analysis of Samples of Benthic Invertebrates, 2nd ed., Sci. Publ. No. 25, Freshwater Biological Association, Ferry House, UK, 156 pp.
- Engle, V. D., Summers, J. K. and Gaston, G. 1994, ‘A benthic index of environmental condition of Gulf of Mexico estuaries’, Estuaries 17, 372–384. CrossRef
- Ferraro, S. P., Cole, F. A., DeBen, W. A. and Swartz, R. C.: 1989, ‘Power-cost efficiency of eight macrobenthic sampling schemes in Puget Sound, Washington, USA’, Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 46, 2157–2165.
- Ferraro, S. P., Swartz, R. C., Cole, F. A. and DeBen, W. A.: 1994, ‘Optimum macrobenthic sampling protocol for detecting pollution impacts in the Southern California Bight’, Environ. Monit. Assess. 29, 127–153. CrossRef
- Ferraro, S. P. and Cole, F. A.: 2004, ‘Optimal benthic macrofaunal Au: Please provide year of Ferraro, S. P. and Cole, F. A. sampling protocol for detecting differences among four habitats in Willapa Bay, Washington, USA’, Estuaries 27, 1014–1025. CrossRef
- Gonor, J. J. and Kemp, P. F.: 1978, ‘Procedures for Quantitative Ecological Assessments in Intertidal Environments’, EPA-600/3-78-087, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Corvallis, Oregon.
- Gray, J. S.: 1981, The Ecology of Marine Sediments, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- Green, R. H.: 1979, Sampling Design and Statistical Methods for Environmental Biologists, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Green, R. H.: 1980, ‘Comment on optimal survey design’, Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 37, 296.
- Heltshe, J. F. and Ritchey, T. A.: 1984, ‘Spatial pattern detection using quadrat samples’, Biometrics 40, 877–885.
- Hinzman, R. and Nelson, S. (eds), 1998, ‘Tillamook Bay. Environmental Characterization. A Scientific and Technical Summary’, Final Report, Cooperative Agreement #CE990292-1, Tillamook Bay National Estuary Project, Garibaldi, Oregon.
- Hunsaker, C. T. and Carpenter, D. E.: 1990, ‘Ecological Indicators for the Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Program’, EPA 600/3-90/060, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.
- Hyland, J., Snoots, T. R. and Balthis, W. L.: 1998, ‘Sediment quality of estuaries in the southeastern U.S.’, Environ. Monit. Assess. 51, 331–343. CrossRef
- Kingston, P. F. and Riddle, M. J.: 1989, ‘Cost effectiveness of benthic faunal monitoring’, Mar. Pollut. Bull. 20, 490–496. CrossRef
- Krebs, C. J.: 1989, Ecological Methodology, HarperCollins Publishers, New York.
- Macauley, J. M., Summers, J. K., Engle, V. D., Heitmuller, P. T. and Adams, A. M.: 1993, ‘Annual Statistical Summary: EMAP-Estuaries Louisianian Province — 1993’, EPA/620/R-96/003, U.S. Environmental Research Laboratory, Gulf Breeze, Florida.
- Macauley, J. M., Summers, J. K. and Engle, V. D.: 1999, ‘Estimating the ecological condition of the estuaries of the Gulf of Mexico’, Environ. Monit. Assess. 57, 59–83. CrossRef
- Macauley, J. M., Summers, J. K., Engle, V. D. and Harwell, L. C.: 2002, ‘The ecological condition of South Florida estuaries’, Environ. Monit. Assess. 75, 253–269. CrossRef
- Malley, D. F. and Reynolds, J. B.: 1979, ‘Sampling strategies and life history of non-insectan freshwater invertebrates’, J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 36, 311–318.
- Messer, J. J., Linthurst, R. A. and Overton, W. S.: 1991, ‘An EPA program for monitoring ecological status and trends’, Environ. Monit. Assess. 17, 67–78. CrossRef
- National Research Council: 1990, Managing Troubled Waters: The Role of Marine Environmental Monitoring, National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Paul, J. F., Strobel, C. J., Melzian, B. D., Kiddon, J. A., Latimer, J. S., Campbell, D. E. and Cobb, D. J.: 1998, ‘State of the estuaries in the Mid-Atlantic Region of the United States’, Environ. Monit. Assess. 51, 269–284. CrossRef
- Rees, H. L.: 1984, ‘A note on mesh size selection and sampling efficiency in benthic studies’, Mar. Pollut. Bull. 15, 225–229. CrossRef
- Saila, S. B., Pikanowski, R. A. and Vaughan, D. S.: 1976, ‘Optimum allocation strategies for sampling benthos in the New York Bight’, Estuarine Coastal Mar. Sci. 4, 119–128. CrossRef
- Schimmel, S. C., Benyi, S. J. and Strobel, C. J.: 1999, ‘An assessment of the ecological condition of Long Island Sound, 1990–1993’, Environ. Monit. Assess. 56, 27–49. CrossRef
- Schwinghammer, P.: 1981, ‘Characteristic size distributions of integral benthic communities’, Can. J. Fish. Aquatic Sci. 38, 1255–1263. CrossRef
- Service, S. K. and Feller, R. J.: 1992, ‘Long-term trends of subtidal macrobenthos in North Inlet, South Carolina’, Hydrobiologia 231, 14–40. CrossRef
- Somerfield, P. J. and Clarke, K. R.: 1995, ‘Taxonomic levels, in marine community studies, revisited’, Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 127, 113–119.
- Stevens, D. L., Jr.: 1994, ‘Implementation of a national monitoring program’, J. Environ. Manage. 42, 1–29. CrossRef
- Stevens, D. L., Jr.: 1997, ‘Variable density grid-based sampling designs for continuous spatial populations’, Environmetrics 8, 167–195. CrossRef
- Stevens, D. L., Jr. and Olsen, A. R.: 1999, ‘Spatially restricted surveys over time for aquatic resources’, J. Agr. Biol. Environ. Stat. 4, 415–428. CrossRef
- Strobel, C. J., Buffum, H. W., Benyi, S. J. and Paul, J. F.: 1999, ‘Environmental monitoring and assessment program: Current status of Virginian Province (U.S.) estuaries’, Environ. Monit. Assess. 56, 1–25. CrossRef
- Summers, J. K.: 2001, ‘Ecological condition of the estuaries of the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts of the United States’, Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 20, 99–106. CrossRef
- Summers, J. K., Macauley, J. M., Heitmuller, P. T., Engle, V. D., Adams, A. M. and Brooks, G. T.: 1992, ‘Annual Statistical Summary: EMAP-Estuaries Louisianian Province — 1991’, EPA/600/R-93/001, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, Environmental Research Laboratory, Gulf Breeze, Florida.
- Summers, J. K., Paul, J. F. and Robertson, A.: 1995, ‘Monitoring the ecological condition of estuaries of the United States’, Toxicology and Environmental Chemistry 49, 93–108. CrossRef
- Thomas, D. R., Singh, A. C. and Roberts, G. R.: 1996, ‘Tests of independence on two-way tables under cluster sampling: An evaluation’, Int. Stat. Rev. 64, 295–311. CrossRef
- U.S. EPA: 1990, ‘Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Program Overview’, EPA/600/9-90/001. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, Washington, D.C.
- U.S. EPA: 2001a, ‘National Coastal Assessment: Field Operations Manual’, EPA/620/R-01/003, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, National Health and Environmental Research Laboratory, Gulf Ecology Division, Gulf Breeze, Florida.
- U.S. EPA: 2001b, ‘Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Program (EMAP): National Coastal Assessment Quality Assurance Project Plan 2001–2004’, EPA/620/R-01/002, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, National Health and Environmental Research Laboratory, Gulf Ecology Division, Gulf Breeze, Florida.
- Van Dolah, R. F., Hyland, J. L., Holland, A. F., Rosen, J. S. and Snoots, T. R.: 1999, ‘A benthic index of biological integrity for assessing habitat quality in estuaries of the southeastern USA’, Mar. Environ. Res. 48, 269–283. CrossRef
- Weisberg, S. B., Ranasinghe, J. A., Dauer, D. M., Schaffner, L. C., Diaz, R. J. and Frithsen, J. B.: 1997, ‘An estuarine benthic index of biotic integrity (B-IBI) for Chesapeake Bay’, Estuaries 20, 149–158. CrossRef
- A More Cost-Effective Emap Benthic Macrofaunal Sampling Protocol
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 116, Issue 1-3 , pp 275-290
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- benthic macrofauna
- cumulative distribution functions
- linear scale transformation
- sample unit
- sieve mesh size
- Tillamook Bay
- Industry Sectors