Monitoring of water quality and assessment of organic pollution load in the nilüfer stream, Turkey
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article presents the results of an investigation carried out on the Nilüfer stream located in the southern part of Marmara region in Turkey 1999–2003. It evaluates water quality and proposes local requirements to prevent aquatic pollution problems. The study took into account the seasonal influences of point and non-point discharges on the organic pollution levels of the stream. The results indicated sub-standard water quality in most parts of the stream. Untreated domestic wastewaters, industrial discharges and agricultural activities contributed to the total annual organic loading. This study reveals the importance of construction, operation, maintenance and legislation of wastewater collection and treatment programmes, as well as the need for strict control of point and non-point nutrient loads for the preservation of the Nilüfer stream's water quality. Appropriate strategies for the control of point and non-point pollution sources, amendments and enforcement of legislation should be developed.
- Aksoy, E., Çullu, M. A. and Ergün, H.: 1997, ‘Remote Sensing Studies and GIS Techniques for the Determination of Negative Impacts on Natural Resources in the City of Bursa’, in: Proceedings of the TUFUAB 3rd Seminar on Remote Sensing and Applications in Turkey, 1997, Bursa, pp. 22 –30.
- Aksoy, E. and Özsoy, G.: 2002, ‘Investigation of Multi-Temporal Land Use/Cover and Shoreline Changes of the Uluabat Lake Ramsar Site Using RS and GIS’, in: Proceedings of the International Conference on Sustainable Land Use and Management, 2002, Çanakkale, Turkey, pp. 73–79.
- APHA, AWWA and WEF.: 1992, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewaters, 18th edn., Washington.
- Bichi, M. H. and Anyata, B.U.: 1999, ‘Industrial waste pollution in the Kano River Basin’, Environ. Manage. Health 10(2), 112–116. CrossRef
- BMS (Bursa Meteorological Station): 2003, Meteorological Yearbook, Bursa.
- Bremner, J. M. and Mulvaney, C. S.: 1982, Methods of Soil Analysis, American Society of Agronomy, Inc. publication, USA.
- Brady, D. J.: 1996, ‘The watershed protection approach’, Water Sci. Tech. 33, 17–21. CrossRef
- Bukit, N. T.: 1995, ‘Water quality conservation for the Citarum river in west Java’, Water Sci. Technol. 31, 1–10. CrossRef
- Bhangu, I. and Whitfield, P. H.: 1997, ‘Seasonal and long-term variations in water quality of the Skeena river at Usk, British Columbia’, Water Res. 31, 2187–2194. CrossRef
- BWSA (Bursa Water and Sewerage Administration): 2001, Environmental Report, Bursa.
- BWSA (Bursa Water and Sewerage Administration): 2002, Wastewater Discharge Legislation, Bursa, Turkey.
- BWSA (Bursa Water and Sewerage Administration): 2003, The Map of Distribution of Industrial Sectors In Bursa, Bursa, Turkey.
- Dedeoğlu, Y.: 2000, ‘Pollutant Resources of Surface Waters in Bursa and Determination of Pollutional Load of Nilüfer Stream Together with Recomended Solutions’, Master of Thesis in Science and Technology Instıtute of Uludağ University, Bursa.
- Drolc, A. and Zagorc, K. J.: 2002, ‘Estimation of sources of total phosphorus in a river basin and assessment of alternatives for river pollution reduction’, Environ. Inter. 28, 393–400. CrossRef
- Ekholm, P., Kallio, K., Salo, S., Pietiläinen, O. P., Rekolainen, S., Laine, Y. and Joukola M.: 2000, ‘Relationship between catchment characteristics and nutrient concentrations in an agricultural river system’, Water Res. 34, 3709–3716. CrossRef
- GDRA (General Directorate of Rural Affairs).: 1995, Soil Map of Bursa Province, Report no: 16, Ankara, Turkey.
- Hanrahan, G., Gledhill, M., House, W. A. and Worsfold, P. J.: 2001, ‘Phosphorus loading in the frome catchment, UK: Seasonal refinement of the coefficient modeling approach’, J. Environ. Qual. 30, 1738–1746. CrossRef
- Harper, D.: 1992, Eutrophication of Freshwaters, Chapman & Hall, London, pp. 55–59.
- Johnstone, D. W. M. and Horan, N. J.: 1996, ‘Institutional developments, standards and river quality: A UK history and some lessons for industrialising countries’, Water Sci. Tech. 33, 211–222. CrossRef
- Kaynak, A. G.: 2002, ‘Wastewaters Originating from Bursa City Center, Their Treatment and Effects on Nilüfer stream’, Master of Thesis in Science and Technology Instıtute of Uludağ University, Bursa.
- Küçükballı, A.: 2003, ‘Determination of Water Quality in Nilüfer Stream Basin and Investigation of Some Parameters with QUAL 2E Model’, Master of Thesis in Science and Technology Instıtute of Uludağ University, Bursa.
- Krızan, J. and Mıloradov, M.: 1997, ‘Water quality of Yugoslav rivers (1991–1995)’, Water Res. 31(11), 2914–2917. CrossRef
- Markantonatos, P. G., Bacalis, N. C. and Angelidis, M. O.: 1995, ‘Pollution control in the catchment basin of the river evrotas, Greece’, Water Sci. Tech. 32, 247–255. CrossRef
- Municipality of Bursa city.: 2002, Bursa Water Resources and Their Recent Quality Report, Bursa, Turkey.
- Novotny, V.: 1996, ‘Integrated water quality management’, Water Sci. Tech. 33, 1–7. CrossRef
- Odokuma, L. and Okpokwasili, G.: 1997, Seasonal influences of the organic pollution monitoring of the new Calabar river, Nigeria, Environ. Monit. Assess. 45, 43–56. CrossRef
- Official Gazette of Republic of Turkey, Water Pollution Control Legislation, No. 19919/1988, Government Printing Office, Ankara.
- Öktem, Y. A.: 1996, ‘Egölem Model for Water Quality Management of Lake Sapanca’, Master of Thesis in Science and Technology Instıtute of İstanbul Technical University, İstanbul.
- Perona, E., Bonilla, I. and Mateo, P.: 1999, ‘Spatial and temporal changes in water quality in a Spanish river’, Sci. Total Environ. 241, 75–90. CrossRef
- Pieterse, N. M., Bleuten, W. and Jørgensen S. E.: 2003, ‘Contribution of point sources and diffuse sources to nitrogen and phosphorus loads in lowland river tributaries’, J. Hydrology 271, 213–225. CrossRef
- Rosegrant, M. W., Ringler, C., McKinney, D. C., Cai, X., Keller, A. and Donoso, G.: 2000, ‘Integrated economic–hydrologic water modeling at the basin scale: The Maipo river basin’, Agricult. Economics 24, 33–46.
- Samura, A.: 2001, ‘Study of Heavy/Treace Metal Concentrations in Uludağ Aerosols By ICP-AES’, Master Thesis in the Department of Chemistry, METU, Ankara.
- Schwabe, K. A.: 2000, ‘Modeling state-level water quality management: The case of the Neuse river basin’, Resource Energy Economics 22, 37–62. CrossRef
- Smith, V. H., Tilman, G. D. and Nekola, J. C.: 1999, ‘Eutrophication: Impacts of excess nutrient inputs on freshwater, marine, and terrestrial ecosystems’, Environ. Poll. 100, 179–196. CrossRef
- SHW (State Hydraulic Works):1999, Water Monitoring Yearbook, Planning and Surveying Division of Monitoring Department, Bursa, Turkey.
- SHW (State Hydraulic Works): 2003, Hydrological Data Book, Bursa, Turkey.
- Stow, C., Borsuk, M. and Stanley, D.: 2001, ‘Long term changes in watershed nutrient inputs and riverine exports in the Neuse river, North Carolina’, Water Res. 36(6), 1489–1499. CrossRef
- Tanık, A., Baykal, B. and Gonenc, E.: 1999, ‘The impact of agricultural pollutants in six drinking water reservoirs’, Water Sci. Tech. 40(2), 11–17. CrossRef
- Yi, S. M., Shahin, U., Sivadechathep, J., Sofuoğlu, S. C. and Holsen, T.: 2001, ‘Overall elemental dry deposition velocities measured around lake Michigan’, Atmos. Environ. 35, 1133–1140. CrossRef
- Zabel, T., Milne, I. and Mckay, G.: 2001, ‘Approaches adopted by the European Union and selected member states for the control of urban pollution’, Urban Water 3, 25–32. CrossRef
- Zagorc-Koncan, J. and Cotman, M.: 1996, ‘Impact assessment of industrial and municipal effluents on surface water-A case study’, Water Sci. Tech. 34, 141–145. CrossRef
- Monitoring of water quality and assessment of organic pollution load in the nilüfer stream, Turkey
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 114, Issue 1-3 , pp 391-417
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- pollution load
- river basin
- total nitrogen
- total phosphorus
- water quality
- water quality management
- Industry Sectors