In search of the causes of Parkinson’s disease, seasons 1 to 4
- Alexis Elbaz
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A comprehensive review on the etiology and epidemiology of Parkinson’s disease (PD), authored by Wirdefeldt and colleagues, is published as a separate supplement by the European Journal of Epidemiology . The authors have undertaken an enormous task, reviewing and synthesizing evidence from over 600 references covering descriptive epidemiology, pre-symptomatic symptoms, genetic epidemiology, and several risk or protective factors of PD. This review provides an up-to-date reference guide and I am certain that it will be of interest to a wide range of scientists and largely cited by them. In another paper from this issue of the Journal, Wang and colleagues investigate the relation between Parkinson’s disease and ambient exposure to pesticides in the Central Valley of California using an innovative method of exposure assessment .
Both papers demonstrate that the field has evolved considerably and represents an exciting area of research with a number of highlights and striking turns of ...
- Wirdefeldt K, Adami HO, Cole P, Trichopoulos D, Mandel J. Epidemiology and etiology of Parkinson’s disease: a review of the evidence. Eur J Epidemiol. 2011. doi:10.1007/s10654-011-9581-6.
- Wang A, Costello S, Cockburn M, Zhang Z, Bronstein J, Ritz B. Parkinson’s disease risk from ambient exposure to pesticides. Eur J Epidemiol. 2011. doi:10.1007/s10654-011-9574-5.
- Langston JW, Ballard P, Tetrud JW, Irwin I. Chronic Parkinsonism in humans due to a product of meperidine-analog synthesis. Science. 1983;219:979–80. CrossRef
- Priyadarshi A, Khuder SA, Schaub EA, Shrivastava S. A meta-analysis of Parkinson’s disease and exposure to pesticides. Neurotoxicology. 2000;21:435–40.
- Priyadarshi A, Khuder SA, Schaub EA, Priyadarshi SS. Environmental risk factors and Parkinson’s disease: a metaanalysis. Environ Res. 2001;86:122–7. CrossRef
- Brown TP, Rumsby PC, Capleton AC, Rushton L, Levy LS. Pesticides and Parkinson’s disease–is there a link? Environ Health Perspect. 2006;114:156–64. CrossRef
- Hernan MA, Takkouche B, CaamanoIsorna F, GestalOtero JJ. A meta-analysis of coffee drinking, cigarette smoking, and the risk of Parkinson’s disease. Ann Neurol. 2002;52:276–84. CrossRef
- Ritz B, Ascherio A, Checkoway H, Marder KS, Nelson LM, Rocca WA, et al. Pooled analysis of tobacco use and risk of Parkinson disease. Arch Neurol. 2007;64:990–7. CrossRef
- Tanner CM, Goldman SM, Aston DA, Ottman R, Ellenberg J, Mayeux R, et al. Smoking and Parkinson’s disease in twins. Neurology. 2002;58:581–8.
- Wirdefeldt K, Gatz M, Pawitan Y, Pedersen NL. Risk and protective factors for Parkinson’s disease: a study in Swedish twins. Ann Neurol. 2005;57:27–33. CrossRef
- Elbaz A, Bower JH, Peterson BJ, Maraganore D, McDonnell SK, Ahlskog JE, et al. Survival study of Parkinson disease in Olmsted County, Minnesota. Arch Neurol. 2003;60:91–6. CrossRef
- Chen H, Zhang SM, Schwarzschild MA, Hernan MA, Ascherio A. Survival of Parkinson’s disease patients in a large prospective cohort of male health professionals. Mov Disord. 2006;21:1002–7. CrossRef
- Chen H, Huang X, Guo X, Mailman RB, Park Y, Kamel F, et al. Smoking duration, intensity, and risk of Parkinson disease. Neurology. 2010;74:878–84. CrossRef
- Ritz B, Rhodes SL. After half a century of research on smoking, PD, where do we go now? Neurology. 2010;74:870–1. CrossRef
- Mellick GD, Gartner CE, Silburn PA, Battistuta D. Passive smoking and Parkinson’s disease. Neurology. 2006;67:179–80. CrossRef
- O’Reilly EJ, Chen H, Gardener H, Gao X, Schwarzschild MA, Ascherio A. Smoking and Parkinson’s disease: using parental smoking as a proxy to explore causality. Am J Epidemiol. 2009;169:678–82.
- Fowler JS, Volkow ND, Wang GJ, Pappas N, Logan J, MacGregor R, et al. Inhibition of monoamine oxidase B in the brains of smokers. Nature. 1996;379:733–6. CrossRef
- Hong DP, Fink AL, Uversky VN. Smoking and Parkinson’s disease: does nicotine affect alpha-synuclein fibrillation? Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1794:282–90.
- Savica R, Rocca WA, Ahlskog JE. When does Parkinson disease start? Arch Neurol. 2010;67:798–801. CrossRef
- Tan LC, Koh WP, Yuan JM, Wang R, Au WL, Tan JH, et al. Differential effects of black versus green tea on risk of Parkinson’s disease in the Singapore Chinese Health Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2008;167:553–60. CrossRef
- Stacy M, Silver D, Mendis T, Sutton J, Mori A, Chaikin P, et al. A 12-week, placebo-controlled study (6002-US-006) of istradefylline in Parkinson disease. Neurology. 2008;70:2233–40. CrossRef
- Williams A. MPTP parkinsonism. BMJ. 1984;289:1401–2. CrossRef
- Kamel F, Tanner C, Umbach D, Hoppin J, Alavanja M, Blair A, et al. Pesticide exposure and self-reported Parkinson’s disease in the agricultural health study. Am J Epidemiol. 2007;165:364–74. CrossRef
- Elbaz A, Clavel J, Rathouz PJ, Moisan F, Galanaud JP, Delemotte B, et al. Professional exposure to pesticides and Parkinson’s disease. Ann Neurol. 2009;66:494–504. CrossRef
- Dick FD, De PG, Ahmadi A, Scott NW, Prescott GJ, Bennett J, et al. Environmental risk factors for Parkinson’s disease and Parkinsonism: the Geoparkinson study. Occup Environ Med. 2007;64:666–72. CrossRef
- Hatcher JM, Pennell KD, Miller GW. Parkinson’s disease and pesticides: a toxicological perspective. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2008;29:322–9. CrossRef
- Cory-Slechta DA, Thiruchelvam M, Barlow BK, Richfield EK. Developmental pesticide models of the Parkinson disease phenotype. Environ Health Perspect. 2005;113:1263–70. CrossRef
- Gatto NM, Rhodes SL, Manthripragada AD, Bronstein J, Cockburn M, Farrer M, et al. Alpha-Synuclein gene may interact with environmental factors in increasing risk of Parkinson’s disease. Neuroepidemiology. 2010;35:191–5. CrossRef
- Manthripragada AD, Costello S, Cockburn MG, Bronstein JM, Ritz B. Paraoxonase 1, agricultural organophosphate exposure, and Parkinson disease. Epidemiology. 2010;21:87–94. CrossRef
- Dick FD, De PG, Ahmadi A, Osborne A, Scott NW, Prescott GJ, et al. Gene-environment interactions in Parkinsonism and Parkinson’s disease: the Geoparkinson study. Occup Environ Med. 2007;64:673–80. CrossRef
- Dutheil F, Beaune P, Tzourio C, Loriot M-A, Elbaz A. Interaction between ABCB1 and professional exposure to organochlorine insecticides in Parkinson’s disease. Arch Neurol. 2010;67:739–45. CrossRef
- Kiyohara C, Miyake Y, Koyanagi M, Fujimoto T, Shirasawa S, Tanaka K, et al. GST polymorphisms, interaction with smoking and pesticide use, and risk for Parkinson’s disease in a Japanese population. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2010;16:447–52. CrossRef
- Elbaz A, Ross OA, Ioannidis JP, Soto-Ortolaza AI, Moisan F, Aasly J et al. Independent and joint effects of the MAPT and SNCA genes in Parkinson disease. Ann Neurol. 2011;69:778–92.
- International Parkinson Disease Genomics Consortium. Imputation of sequence variants for identification of genetic risks for Parkinson’s disease: a meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies. Lancet. 2011;377:641–9. CrossRef
- Tanner CM, Kamel F, Ross GW, Hoppin JA, Goldman SM, Korell M et al. Rotenone, Paraquat and Parkinson’s disease. Environ Health Perspect. 2011; doi:10.1289/ehp.1002839.
- In search of the causes of Parkinson’s disease, seasons 1 to 4
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 26, Issue 7 , pp 505-509
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Alexis Elbaz (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. INSERM, U708, Neuroepidemiology, 75005, Paris, France
- 2. UPMC Univ Paris 06, UMR_S708, Neuroepidemiology, 75005, Paris, France