The cardioprotective effects of alcohol consumption: does cardiac autonomic function play a role?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Moderate alcohol consumption has cardioprotective properties and several mechanisms have been proposed. In over 4,000 men and women from the Whitehall II study, mean heart rate variability levels were lowest among those consuming the most alcohol per week, but in multivariate analyses no statistical associations were found. The cardiac autonomic nervous system is unlikely to explain much of the cardioprotective properties of alcohol.
- Corrao G, Rubbiati L, Bagnardi V, Zambon A, Poikolainen K. Alcohol and coronary heart disease: a meta-analysis. Addiction 2000;95:1505–23. CrossRef
- Doll R, Peto R, Boreham J, Sutherland I. Mortality in relation to alcohol consumption: a prospective study among male British doctors. Int J Epidemiol 2005;34:199–204. CrossRef
- Thun MJ, Peto R, Lopez AD, Monaco JH, Henley SJ, Heath CW Jr, Doll R. Alcohol consumption and mortality among middle-aged and elderly U.S. adults. N Eng J Med 1997;337:1705–14. CrossRef
- Rimm EB, Williams P, Fosher K, Criqui M, Stampfer MJ. Moderate alcohol intake and lower risk of coronary heart disease: meta-analysis of effects on lipids and haemostatic factors. Br Med J 1999;319:1523–8.
- Renaud S, de Lorgeril M. Wine, alcohol, platelets, and the French paradox for coronary heart disease. Lancet 1992;339:1523–6. CrossRef
- Stewart SH. Alcohol and inflammation: a possible mechanism for protection against ischemic heart disease. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 2002;12:148–51.
- Mattace-Raso FUS, van der Cammen TJM, van den Elzen APM, Schalekamp MADH, Asmar R, Reneman RS, et al. Moderate alcohol consumption is associated with reduced arterial stiffness in older adults: the Rotterdam Study. J Gerontol Ser A: Biol Sci Med Sci 2005;60:1479–83.
- Britton A, Hemingway H. Heart rate variability in healthy populations: correlates and consequences. In: Malik M, Camm AJ (editors) Dynamic electrocardiography. New York: Blackwell Futura; 2004. p. 90–111. CrossRef
- Liao D, Cai J, Rosamond WD, Barnes RW, Hutchinson RG, Whitsel EA, et al. Cardiac autonomic function and incident coronary heart disease: a population-based case-cohort study. The ARIC study. Atherosclerosis risk in communities study. Am J Epidemiol 1997;145:696–706.
- Kleiger RE, Miller JP, Bigger JT Jr, Moss AJ. Decreased heart rate variability and its association with increased mortality after acute myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol 1987;59:256–62. CrossRef
- Farrell TG, Bashir Y, Cripps T, Malik M, Poloniecki J, Bennett ED, et al. Risk stratification for arrhythmic events in postinfarction patients based on heart rate variability, ambulatory electrocardiographic variables and the signal-averaged electrocardiogram. J Am Coll Cardiol 1991;18:687–97. CrossRef
- Bigger JT Jr, Fleiss JL, Steinman RC, Rolnitzky LM, Kleiger RE, Rottman JN. Frequency domain measures of heart period variability and mortality after myocardial infarction. Circulation 1992;85:164–71.
- Britton A, Marmot M. Different measures of alcohol consumption and risk of coronary heart disease and all-cause mortality: 11 year follow-up of the Whitehall II Cohort Study. Addiction 2004;99:109–16. CrossRef
- Hemingway H, Shipley M, Brunner E, Britton A, Malik M, Marmot M. Does autonomic function link social position to coronary risk? The Whitehall II Study. Circulation 2005;111:3071–77. CrossRef
- Marmot MG, Davey Smith G, Stansfeld S, Patel C, North F, Head J, et al. Health inequalities among British civil servants: the Whitehall II study. Lancet 1991;337:1387–93. CrossRef
- Marmot M, Brunner E. Cohort profile: the Whitehall II Study. Int J Epidemiol 2005;34:251–6. CrossRef
- van de Borne P, Mark AL, Montano N, Mion D, Somers VK. Effects of alcohol on sympathetic activity, hemodynamics, and chemoreflex sensitivity. Hypertension 1997;29:1278–83.
- Flanagan DEH, Pratt E, Murphy J, Vaile JC, Petley GW, Godsland IF, et al. Alcohol consumption alters insulin secretion and cardiac autonomic activity. Eur J Clin Invest 2002;32:187–92. CrossRef
- Kupari M, Virolainen J, Koskinen P, Tikkanen MJ. Short-term heart rate variability and factor modifying the risk of coronary artery disease in a population sample. Am J Cardiol 1993;72:897–903. CrossRef
- Koskinen P, Virolainen J, Kupari M. Acute alcohol intake decreases short-term heart rate variability in healthy subjects. Clin Sci 1994;87:225–30.
- Weise F, Krell D, Brinkhoff N. Acute alcohol ingestion reduces heart rate variability. Drug Alcohol Depend 1986;17:89–91. CrossRef
- Masters JA, Stevenson JS, Schaal SF. The association between moderate drinking and heart rate variability in health community-dwelling older women. Biol Res Nurs 2004;5:222–33. CrossRef
- Thayer JF, Hall M, Sollers JJ, Fischer JE. Alcohol use, urinary cortisol, and heart rate variability in apparently healthy men: Evidence for impaired inhibitory control of the HPA axis in heavy drinkers. Int J Psychophysiol 2006;59:244–50. CrossRef
- Tsuji H, Venditti FJ, Manders ES, Evans JC, Larson MG, Feldman CL, et al. Determinants of heart rate variability. J Am Coll Cardiol 1996;28:1539–46. CrossRef
- Kageyama T, Nishikido N, Honda Y, Kurokawa Y, Imai H, Kobayahi T, et al. Effects of obesity, current smoking status, and alcohol consumption on heart rate variability in male white-collar workers. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 1997;69:447–54. CrossRef
- Fagard RH, Pardaens K, Staessen JA. Influence of demographic, anthropometric and lifestyle characteristics on heart rate and its variability in the population. J Hypertension 1999;17:1589–99.
- The cardioprotective effects of alcohol consumption: does cardiac autonomic function play a role?
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 23, Issue 2 , pp 105-108
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Alcohol drinking
- Coronary disease
- Autonomic nervous system
- Cohort studies
- Industry Sectors