Contrbtion to the biology of Zagros tooth-carp, Aphanius vladykovi (Cyprinodontidae) in central Iran
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We studied some aspects of the biology of the Zagros tooth-carp, Aphanius vladykovi, an endemic and poorly known species from Chahar-Mahall-va-Bakhtiari province in central Iran, by regular monthly collections and direct observation in aquaria over a full year. We collected individuals from Modar-Dokhtar spring of Gandoman region; we preserved some in formalin and transferred some alive to aquaria. The stomach contents consisted mostly of freshwater crustaceans, suggesting a carnivorous habit. The eggs had an average diameter of 1mm and the average absolute and relative fecundity was 415 and 110, respectively. The gonadosomatic ratio and ovary condition suggested that the reproductive season of the species was between late March and June with a peak in early April. The species is euryhaline and eurythermal and prefers neutral to basic waters. It is usually found in well-oxygenated waters, but is tolerant of hypoxia as well.
- Al-Daham, N.K., M.F. Huq & K.P. Sharma. 1977. Notes on the ecology of fishes of the genus Aphanius and Gambusia affinis in southern Iraq. Freshwater Biol. 7:245–251. CrossRef
- Bagenal, T.B. 1967. A <nt>fi</nt>111. In:S.D. Gerking (ed.), The Biological Basis of Freshwater Fish Production, Blackwell Scientific, Oxford.
- Biswas, S.P. 1993. Manual of Methods in Fish Biology. International Book Co. Absecon Highlands. 157 pp.
- Caiola, N.A., M.J. Vargas & A. De Sostoa. 2001. Life history pattern of the endangered Valencia toothcarp, Valencia hispanica (Actinopterygii:Valenciidae)and its implications for conservation. Arch. fu ¨r Hydrobiol. 150: 473–489.
- Coad, B.W. 1988. Aphanius vladykovi, a new species of tooth-carp from the Zagros Mountains of Iran (Osteichthyes: Cyprinodontidae). Environ. Biol. Fish. 23:115–125. CrossRef
- Coad, B.W. 1995. Freshwater Fishes of Iran. Acta Sci. Nat. Acad. Sci. Bohemicae 29:1–164.
- Coad, B.W. 1996. Systematics of the tooth-carp genus Aphanius Nardo, 1827 (Actinopterygii:Cyprinodontidae)in Fars Province, southern Iran. Biol. Bratis. 51:163–172.
- Coad, B.W. & Y. Keivany. 2000. Aphanius vladykovi Coad, 1988. Zagros pup fish, mahi-e gour-e khari. J. Am. Killi fish Assoc. 33:195–198.
- Desai, V.R. 1970. Studies on the fishery and biology of Tor tor (Hamilton)from river Narmada. J. Inland Fish. Soc. India 2: 101–112.
- Hopkins, C.L. 1979. Reproduction in Galaxias fasciatus Gray (Salmoniformes:Galaxiidae). New Zealand J. Mar. Freshwater Res. 13:225–230. CrossRef
- Huber, J.H. 1996. Killi-Data 1996. Updated checklist of taxonomic names, collecting localities and bibliographic references of oviparous Cyprinodont fishes (Atherinomor pha, Pisces). SociétéFranc ¸aise d 'Ichtyologie, Muséum National d 'Histoire Naturelle, Paris, France. 399 pp.
- Keivany, Y. & N.M. Soofiani. 2002. Preliminary study of biodiversity in Iranian toothcarps. Abstracts of the First Iranian Conference on Animal Sciences and Biodiversity, University of Kerman, Iran. p. 30.
- Krupp, F. & W. Schneider. 1989. The fishes of the Jordan River drainage basin and Azraq Oasis. Fauna Saudi Arabia 10:347–416.
- Leonardos, I. & A. Sinis. 1998. Reproductive strategy of Aphanius fasciatus Nardo, 1827 (Pisces:Cyprinodontidae)in the Mesolongi and Etolikon lagoons (W. Greece). Fish. Res. 35:171–181. CrossRef
- Miller, P.J. 1979. Adaptiveness and implications of small size in teleosts. Zool. Soc. Lond., Symp. 44:263–306.
- Nikolsky, G.V. 1963. Ecology of Fishes. Academic Press, London. 352 pp.
- Oltra, R. & R. Todoli. 2000. Reproduction of the endangered killi fish Aphanius iberus at different salinities. Environ. Biol. Fish. 57:113–115. CrossRef
- Penaz, M., & M. Zaki. 1985. Cyprinodont Fishes of lake Mariut, Egypt. Folia Zool. 34:373–384.
- Ricker, W.E. 1979. Growth rates and models. pp. 677–743. In: W.S. Hoar, D.J. Randall & J.R. Brett (eds.), Fish Physiology, Vol. VIII, Academic press, London.
- Scheel, J.J. 1990. Atlas of killi fishes of the old world. Tropical Fish Hobbyist Publications, Neptune City, New Jersey. 448 pp.
- Vargas, M.J. & A. De Sostoa. 1997. Life-history pattern of the Iberian toothcarp Aphanius iberus (Pisces, Cyprinodontidae) from a Mediterranean estuary, the Ebro Delta (Spain). Netherlands J. Zool. 47:143–160. CrossRef
- Wildekamp, R.H. 1993. Aworld of killies. Atlas of the oviparous cyprinodontiform fishes of the world. Vol. 1. The genera Adamas, Adinia, Aphanius, Aphyoplatys and Aphyosention. American Killi fish Association, Mishawaka (Indiana). 311 pp.
- Contrbtion to the biology of Zagros tooth-carp, Aphanius vladykovi (Cyprinodontidae) in central Iran
Environmental Biology of Fishes
Volume 71, Issue 2 , pp 165-169
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- fish biology
- gonadosomatic index
- Middle East