Investigational New Drugs

, Volume 29, Issue 1, pp 154–160

Salvage therapy with gemcitabine, ifosfamide, dexamethasone, and oxaliplatin (GIDOX) for B-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: a consortium for improving survival of lymphoma (CISL) trial

Authors

  • Byeong-Bae Park
    • Division of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Internal MedicineHanyang University College of Medicine
  • Won Seog Kim
    • Division of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical CenterSungkyunkwan University School of Medicine
  • Hyeon Seok Eom
    • Hematology–Oncology Clinic, Research Institute and HospitalNational Cancer Center
  • Jin Seok Kim
    • Division of Hematology, Department of Internal MedicineYonsei University College of Medicine
  • Young Yiul Lee
    • Division of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Internal MedicineHanyang University College of Medicine
  • Suk Joong Oh
    • Department of Internal Medicine, Kangbuk Samsung HospitalSungkyunkwan University School of Medicine
  • Dae Ho Lee
    • Department of Oncology, Asan Medical CenterUniversity of Ulsan College of Medicine
    • Department of Oncology, Asan Medical CenterUniversity of Ulsan College of Medicine
PHASE II STUDIES

DOI: 10.1007/s10637-009-9320-y

Cite this article as:
Park, B., Kim, W.S., Eom, H.S. et al. Invest New Drugs (2011) 29: 154. doi:10.1007/s10637-009-9320-y

Summary

Background: We investigated response rates to and toxicities of gemcitabine, ifosfamide, dexamethasone, and oxaliplatin (GIDOX) for the treatment of relapsed or refractory aggressive B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL). Patients and Methods: Patients with recurrent or refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphoma or mantle cell lymphoma (DLBCL) were eligible for enrollment in this study. Treatment consisted of gemcitabine 1,000 mg/m2 intravenously (i.v.) on Days 1 and 8, ifosfamide 2,000 mg/m2 i.v. on Day 1, dexamethasone 40 mg orally on Days 1–4, and oxaliplatin 130 mg/m2 i.v. on Day 2, every 21 days. The primary goal of treatment was to establish a response rate after three cycles. Afterwards, patients could proceed to high-dose chemotherapy followed by autologous stem cell transplantation (HDC-ASCT) or receive up to six treatment cycles. Results: Twenty-seven eligible patients were evaluated for toxicity and response. The median age of the patients was 54 years (range, 18–75 years), and most had DLBCL. After three cycles, there were four CR (15%) and 10 PR (37%) for an overall response rate (RR) of 52%. Among a total of 88 GIDOX cycles, grade 3 and 4 neutropenia occurred in 33% and 16% of the cycles, respectively. Likewise, grade 3 and 4 thrombocytopenia occurred in 14% and 16% of the cycles, respectively. Two patients (2%) experienced febrile neutropenia, while seven patients (26%) proceeded to HDC-ASCT. Conclusions: GIDOX is an active salvage regimen for aggressive B-cell NHL and can be tolerated by patients with acceptable toxicity.

Keywords

GemcitabineSalvage therapyNon-Hodgkin’s lymphoma

Copyright information

© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2009