Optimal Control of Switching Surfaces in Hybrid Dynamical Systems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper concerns an optimal control problem defined on a class of switched-mode hybrid dynamical systems. The system's mode is changed (switched) whenever the state variable crosses a certain surface in the state space, henceforth called a switching surface. These switching surfaces are parameterized by finite-dimensional vectors called the switching parameters. The optimal control problem is to minimize a cost functional, defined on the state trajectory, as a function of the switching parameters. The paper derives the gradient of the cost functional in a costate-based formula that reflects the special structure of hybrid systems. It then uses the formula in a gradient-descent algorithm for solving an obstacle-avoidance problem in robotics.
- Arkin, R. C. (1998) Behavior Based Robotics. The MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Bemporad, A., Giua, A., Seatzu, C. 2002. A master-slave algorithm for the optimal control of continuous-time switched affine systems. 41st IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Las Vegas, Nevada, December, pp. 1976–1981.
- Boccadoro, M., Valigi, P. 2003. A modelling approach for the dynamic scheduling problem of manufacturing systems with non-negligible setup times and finite buffers. 42nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Maui, Hawaii, December.
- Boccadoro, M., Egerstedt, M., and Wardi, Y. 2004. Optimal Control of Switching Surfaces in Hybrid Dynamic Systems. IFAC Workshop on Discrete Event Systems, Reims, France, September.
- Branicky, M., Borkar, V., Mitter, S. (1998) A unified framework for hybrid control: Model and optimal control theory. IEEE Trans. Automat. Contr. 43: pp. 31-45 CrossRef
- Brockett, R. 1995. Stabilization of motor networks. 34th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, December. pp. 1484–1488.
- Egerstedt, M. 2000. Behavior based robotics using hybrid automata. Lecture Notes in Computer Science: Hybrid Systems III: Computation and Control. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Springer Verlag, pp. 103–116, March.
- Egerstedt, M., Wardi, Y., and Delmotte, F. 2003. Optimal control of switching times in switched dynamical systems. 42nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Maui, Hawaii, December.
- Flieller, D., Louis, J. P., Barrenscheen, J. (1998) General sampled data modeling of power systems supplied by static converter with digital and analog controller. Math. Comput. Simul. 46: pp. 373-385 CrossRef
- Giua, A., Seatzu, C., and Van Der Mee, C. 2001. Optimal control of switched autonomous linear systems. 40th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Orlando, Florida, December, pp. 2472–2477.
- Hristu-Varsakelis, D. 2001. Feedback control systems as users of shared network: Communication sequences that guarantee stability. 40th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Orlando, Florida, December. p. 3631.
- Johansson, M., Rantzer, A. (2000) Piecewise linear quadratic optimal control. IEEE Trans. Automat. Contr. 43: pp. 629-637
- Polak, E. (1997) Optimization: Algorithms and Consistent Approximations. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Riedinger, P., Kratz, F., Iung, C., and Zanne, C. 1999. Linear quadratic optimization for hybrid systems. 38th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Phoenix, Arizona, December, pp. 3059–3064.
- Shaikh, M. S., Caines, P. E. 2002. On trajectory optimization for hybrid systems: Theory and algorithms for fixed schedules. 41st IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Las Vegas, Nevada, December.
- Shaikh, M. S., and Caines, P. 2003. On the optimal control of hybrid systems: Optimization of switching times and combinatoric location schedules. American Control Conference, Denver, Colorado, June.
- Sussmann, H. J. 1999. A maximum principle for hybrid optimal control problems. 38th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Phoenix, Arizona, December, pp. 425–430.
- Verriest, E. 2003. Regularization method for optimally switched and impulsive systems with biomedical applications (I). 42nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Maui, Hawaii, December.
- Wardi, Y., Boccadoro, M., Egerstedt, M., and Verriest, E. 2004. Optimal control of switching surfaces. 43rd IEEE Conference on Decsion and Control, Nassau, Bahamas, December 14–17, pp. 1854–1859.
- Xu, X., and Antsaklis, P. 2002. Optimal control of switched autonomous systems. 41st IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Las Vegas, Nevada, December.
- Xu, X., Antsaklis, P. J. (2002) Optimal control of switched systems via nonlinear optimization based on direct differentiations of value functions. Int. J. Control 75: pp. 1406-1426 CrossRef
- Optimal Control of Switching Surfaces in Hybrid Dynamical Systems
Discrete Event Dynamic Systems
Volume 15, Issue 4 , pp 433-448
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- hybrid systems
- switching surfaces
- optimal control
- gradient descent
- obstacle avoidance
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dipartimento di Ingegneria Elettronica e dell'Informazione, Università di Perugia, 06125, Perugia, Italy
- 2. School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 30332, USA