Development, heroism and the indigenous life project
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the Way of Development: Indigenous People, Life Projects and Globalisation
By Mario Blaser, Harvey A. Feit, & Glenn McRae (London and New York: Zed Books, 2004, pp. vii–ix, 1–353, index, acknowledgments).
Up from the Mission
By Noel Pearson (Melbourne: Black Inc., 2009, pp. x–xvi, 1–400, bibliography, index).
In the American 1990s animation, Captain Planet and the Planeteers (Turner and Pyle 1990), the superhero Captain Planet does not exist on his own but has to be summonsed. The key message, reinforced at every turn, is that only by working together across cultural divides and for a unified purpose can people protect the planet and provide solutions to environmental problems. The spirit of the planet, Gaia, no longer able to passively tolerate earth’s destruction, has given extraordinary powers in the form of five special rings to five young people from five major continents. From Africa, ‘Kwame’ has the power of earth; from North America, ‘Wheeler’ has the power of fire; ‘Linka’ fro ...
- Agrawal, Arun (2005) Environmentality: Community, intimate government, and the making of environmental subjects in Kumaon, India. Current Anthropology 46: pp. 161-190 CrossRef
- Agrawal, Arun (2005) Environmentality: Technologies of government and the making of subjects. Duke University Press, Durham, North Carolina and London
- Berlant, Lauren The subject of true feeling. In: Sarat, Austin, Kearns, Thomas R eds. (1999) Cultural pluralism, identity politics and the law. The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor
- Biolsi, Thomas (2001) “Deadliest enemies”: Law and the making of race relations on and off the Rosebud Reservation. University of California Press, Los Angeles
- Dombrowski, Kirk (2001) Against culture: Development, politics and religion in Indian Alaska. University of Nebraska Press, Nebraska
- Havemann, Paul. ed. 1999. Indigenous peoples’ rights in Australia, Canada and New Zealand. Auckland: Oxford University Press.
- Maddison, Sarah (2009) Black politics: Inside the complexity of Aboriginal political culture. Allen and Unwin Press, Sydney
- Nadasdy, Paul (2005) Transcending the debate over the ecologically noble Indian: Indigenous peoples and environmentalism. Ethnohistory 52: pp. 291-331 CrossRef
- Sider, Gerald (1993) Lumbee Indian histories: Race, ethnicity and Indian identity in the southern United States. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Turner, RE, Pyle, B (1990) “Captain Planet and the Planeteers”. United States, TBS Productions, Inc. A Time Warner Company
- Weaver, Sally Political representivity and indigenous minorities in Canada and Australia. In: Dyck, N eds. (1985) Indigenous people and the nation state. ISER, St. Johns
- Development, heroism and the indigenous life project
Volume 34, Issue 2 , pp 223-234
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links