Comments on Harn–Lin’s cheating detection scheme
- Hossein Ghodosi
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Detection of cheating and identification of cheaters in threshold schemes has been well studied, and several solid solutions have been provided in the literature. This paper analyses Harn and Lin’s recent work on cheating detection and identification of cheaters in Shamir’s threshold scheme. We will show that, in a broad area, Harn–Lin’s scheme fails to detect cheating and even if the cheating is detected cannot identify the cheaters. In particular, in a typical Shamir (t, n)-threshold scheme, where n = 2t − 1 and up to t − 1 of participants are corrupted, their scheme neither can detect nor can identify the cheaters. Moreover, for moderate size of groups their proposed cheaters identification scheme is not practical.
- Benaloh J.: Secret sharing homomorphisms: keeping shares of a secret secret. In: Odlyzko A. (ed.) Advances in Cryptology—Proceedings of CRYPTO’86. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 263, pp. 251–260. Springer-Verlag, Heidleberg (1987).
- Blakley G.: Safeguarding cryptographic keys. In: Proceedings of AFIPS 1979 National Computer Conference, vol. 48, pp. 313–317 (1979).
- Cormen T., Leiserson C.E., Rivest R., Stein C.: Introduction to Algorithms, Second edn. MIT Press, USA (2001)
- Harn L., Lin C.: Detection and identification of cheaters in (t, n) secret sharing scheme. In: Designs, Codes and Cryptography, vol. 52, pp. 15–24 (2009).
- Rabin T.: Robust sharing of secrets when the dealer is honest or cheating. J. ACM 41(6), 1089–1109 (1994) CrossRef
- Shamir A.: How to share a secret. Commun. ACM 22, 612–613 (November) (1979).
- Tompa M., Woll H.: How to share a secret with cheaters. J. Cryptol. 1(2), 133–138 (1988)
- Comments on Harn–Lin’s cheating detection scheme
Designs, Codes and Cryptography
Volume 60, Issue 1 , pp 63-66
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Threshold secret sharing schemes
- Cheating detection
- Cheaters identification
- Industry Sectors
- Hossein Ghodosi (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Business and Information Technology, James Cook University, Townsville, QLD, 4811, Australia