Nitric Oxide Synthase Gene Polymorphisms in Functional Dyspepsia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nitrinergic control is important in meal-induced satiety. The aim of this study was to assess functional polymorphisms in nitric oxide synthase (NOS) genes in the susceptibility to functional dyspepsia (FD).
Genomic DNA from 89 patients with FD and 180 healthy subjects matched for age and gender were typed for the gene of neuronal NOS (nNOS, rs2682826), inducible NOS (iNOS, rs2297518) and a variable number tandem repeat in intron 4 of endothelial NOS (eNOS). Patients ingested 500 mL of Ensure® during a 20 min period and dyspeptic symptoms were scored.
Genotype frequencies of eNOS and iNOS were not significantly different between FD patients and controls. The frequency of the T allele in nNOS was significantly higher in FD patients compared to the controls (49 vs. 16 %; odds ratio 5.01; 95 % confidence interval 2.83–9.01; p < 0.05). Patients with the T allele in the nNOS polymorphism reported a higher satiation score than those with the CC genotype during the nutrition drink test (median 179 vs. 117; p < 0.05).
The nNOS gene polymorphism is associated with susceptibility to FD and influences satiation in FD patients. Our data support the importance of NOS gene polymorphisms in the pathogenesis of FD.
- Tack J, Piessevaux H, Coulie B, Caenepeel P, Janssens J. Role of impaired gastric accommodation to a meal in functional dyspepsia. Gastroenterology. 1998;115:1346–1352. CrossRef
- Desai KM, Sessa WC, Vane JR. Involvement of nitric oxide in the reflex relaxation of the stomach to accommodate food or fluid. Nature. 1991;351:477–479. CrossRef
- Tack J, Demedts I, Meulemans A, Schuurkes J, Janssens J. Role of nitric oxide in the gastric accommodation reflex and in meal induced satiety in humans. Gut. 2002;51:219–224. CrossRef
- Tonini M, De Giorgio R, De Ponti F, et al. Role of nitric oxide- and vasoactive intestinal polypeptide-containing neurones in human gastric fundus strip relaxations. Br J Pharmacol. 2000;129:12–20. CrossRef
- Troncon LE, Thompson DG, Ahluwalia NK, Barlow J, Heggie L. Relations between upper abdominal symptoms and gastric distension abnormalities in dysmotility like functional dyspepsia and after vagotomy. Gut. 1995;37:17–22. CrossRef
- Wang XL, Mahaney MC, Sim AS, et al. Genetic contribution of the endothelial constitutive nitric oxide synthase gene to plasma nitric oxide levels. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1997;17:3147–3153. CrossRef
- Tsukada T, Yokoyama K, Arai T, et al. Evidence of association of the ecNOS gene polymorphism with plasma NO metabolite levels in humans. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;245:190–193. CrossRef
- Levecque C, Elbaz A, Clavel J, et al. Association between Parkinson’s disease and polymorphisms in the nNOS and iNOS genes in a community-based case-control study. Hum Mol Genet. 2003;12:79–86. CrossRef
- Levy RL, Jones KR, Whitehead WE, Feld SI, Talley NJ, Corey LA. Irritable bowel syndrome in twins: heredity and social learning both contribute to etiology. Gastroenterology. 2001;121:799–804. CrossRef
- Kalantar JS, Locke GR 3rd, Zinsmeister AR, Beighley CM, Talley NJ. Familial aggregation of irritable bowel syndrome: a prospective study. Gut. 2003;52:1703–1707. CrossRef
- Holtmann G, Siffert W, Haag S, et al. G-protein beta 3 subunit 825 CC genotype is associated with unexplained (functional) dyspepsia. Gastroenterology. 2004;126:971–979. CrossRef
- Camilleri CE, Carlson PJ, Camilleri M, et al. A study of candidate genotypes associated with dyspepsia in a U.S. community. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101:581–592. CrossRef
- Tack J, Talley NJ, Camilleri M, et al. Functional gastroduodenal disorders. Gastroenterology. 2006;130:1466–1479. CrossRef
- Jeong JJ, Choi MG, Cho YS, et al. Chronic gastrointestinal symptoms and quality of life in the Korean population. World J Gastroenterol. 2008;14:6388–6394. CrossRef
- Miyahara K, Kawamoto T, Sase K, et al. Cloning and structural characterization of the human endothelial nitric-oxide-synthase gene. Eur J Biochem. 1994;223:719–726. CrossRef
- Grasemann H, Yandava CN, Drazen JM. Neuronal NO synthase (NOS1) is a major candidate gene for asthma clinical and experimental allergy. Clin Exp Allergy. 1999;29(Suppl 4):39–41.
- Johannesen J, Pie A, Pociot F, Kristiansen OP, Karlsen AE, Nerup J. Linkage of the human inducible nitric oxide synthase gene to type 1 diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86:2792–2796.
- Yoon SB, Choi MG, Lim CH, et al. The effect of exenatide and erythromycin on postprandial symptoms and their relation to gastric functions. Digestion. 2012;85:211–218. CrossRef
- Grundy D, Gharib-Naseri MK, Hutson D. Role of nitric oxide and vasoactive intestinal polypeptide in vagally mediated relaxation of the gastric corpus in the anaesthetized ferret. J Auton Nerv Syst. 1993;43:241–246. CrossRef
- Meulemans AL, Eelen JG, Schuurkes JA. NO mediates gastric relaxation after brief vagal stimulation in anesthetized dogs. Am J Physiol. 1995;269:G255–G261.
- Kuiken SD, Vergeer M, Heisterkamp SH, Tytgat GN, Boeckxstaens GE. Role of nitric oxide in gastric motor and sensory functions in healthy subjects. Gut. 2002;51:212–218. CrossRef
- Ibarrola-Villava M, Pena-Chilet M, Fernandez LP, et al. Genetic polymorphisms in DNA repair and oxidative stress pathways associated with malignant melanoma susceptibility. Eur J Cancer. 2011;47:2618–2625. CrossRef
- Shinkai T, Ohmori O, Matsumoto C, Hori H, Kennedy JL, Nakamura J. Genetic association analysis of neuronal nitric oxide synthase gene polymorphism with tardive dyskinesia. Neuromolecular Med. 2004;5:163–170. CrossRef
- Hancock DB, Martin ER, Vance JM, Scott WK. Nitric oxide synthase genes and their interactions with environmental factors in Parkinson’s disease. Neurogenetics. 2008;9:249–262. CrossRef
- Venturelli E, Villa C, Scarpini E, et al. Neuronal nitric oxide synthase C276T polymorphism increases the risk for frontotemporal lobar degeneration. Eur J Neurol. 2008;15:77–81.
- Cui H, Supriyanto I, Asano M, et al. A common polymorphism in the 3′-UTR of the NOS1 gene was associated with completed suicides in Japanese male population. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2010;34:992–996. CrossRef
- Galimberti D, Venturelli E, Gatti A, et al. Association of neuronal nitric oxide synthase C276T polymorphism with Alzheimer’s disease. J Neurol. 2005;252:985–986. CrossRef
- Mearin F, Garcia-Gonzalez MA, Strunk M, Zarate N, Malagelada JR, Lanas A. Association between achalasia and nitric oxide synthase gene polymorphisms. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101:1979–1984. CrossRef
- Galecki P, Maes M, Florkowski A, et al. Association between inducible and neuronal nitric oxide synthase polymorphisms and recurrent depressive disorder. J Affect Disord. 2011;129:175–182. CrossRef
- Talley NJ, Fung LH, Gilligan IJ, McNeil D, Piper DW. Association of anxiety, neuroticism, and depression with dyspepsia of unknown cause. A case-control study. Gastroenterology. 1986;90:886–892.
- de OSMT, Goncalves FM, Martins-Oliveira A, et al. Inducible nitric oxide synthase haplotype associated with migraine and aura. Mol Cell Biochem. 2012;364:303–308. CrossRef
- Amaral LM, Palei AC, Sandrim VC, et al. Maternal iNOS genetic polymorphisms and hypertensive disorders of pregnancy. J Hum Hypertens. 2012;26:547–552. CrossRef
- Ryk C, Wiklund NP, Nyberg T, De Verdier PJ. Ser608Leu polymorphisms in the nitric oxide synthase-2 gene may influence urinary bladder cancer pathogenesis. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 2011;45:319–325. CrossRef
- Wang SS, Davis S, Cerhan JR, et al. Polymorphisms in oxidative stress genes and risk for non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Carcinogenesis. 2006;27:1828–1834. CrossRef
- Yoon S, Shin C, Park HY, et al. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene is associated with vessel stenosis in Korean population. Clin Chim Acta. 2005;353:177–185. CrossRef
- Okumura T, Kishi T, Okochi T, et al. Genetic association analysis of functional polymorphisms in neuronal nitric oxide synthase 1 gene (NOS1) and mood disorders and fluvoxamine response in major depressive disorder in the Japanese population. Neuropsychobiology. 2010;61:57–63. CrossRef
- Hutson WR, Roehrkasse RL, Wald A. Influence of gender and menopause on gastric emptying and motility. Gastroenterology. 1989;96:11–17.
- Mones J, Carrio I, Calabuig R, et al. Influence of the menstrual cycle and of menopause on the gastric emptying rate of solids in female volunteers. Eur J Nucl Med. 1993;20:600–602. CrossRef
- Camilleri M, Dubois D, Coulie B, et al. Prevalence and socioeconomic impact of upper gastrointestinal disorders in the United States: results of the US Upper Gastrointestinal Study. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005;3:543–552. CrossRef
- Stanghellini V, Tosetti C, Paternico A, et al. Risk indicators of delayed gastric emptying of solids in patients with functional dyspepsia. Gastroenterology. 1996;110:1036–1042. CrossRef
- Gangula PR, Maner WL, Micci MA, Garfield RE, Pasricha PJ. Diabetes induces sex-dependent changes in neuronal nitric oxide synthase dimerization and function in the rat gastric antrum. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2007;292:G725–G733. CrossRef
- Mearadji B, Penning C, Vu MK, et al. Influence of gender on proximal gastric motor and sensory function. Am J Gastroenterol. 2001;96:2066–2073. CrossRef
- Nitric Oxide Synthase Gene Polymorphisms in Functional Dyspepsia
Digestive Diseases and Sciences
Volume 59, Issue 1 , pp 72-77
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Functional dyspepsia
- Nitric oxide synthase
- Industry Sectors