Treatment of Nonampullary Sporadic Duodenal Adenomas with Endoscopic Mucosal Resection or Ablation
Malignant neoplasms of the small intestine are rare; US annual incidence and mortality are 8,810 and 1,170, respectively . Duodenal adenocarcinoma is even rarer, accounting for <0.5 % of all gastrointestinal malignancies but up to ~60 % of all small bowel cancers . One proposed mechanism of duodenal carcinogenesis invokes the adenoma–carcinoma sequence, analogous to colorectal adenocarcinoma. Duodenal adenomas, regarded as potential premalignant lesions, are prevalent among patients with familial adenomatous polyposis, but sporadic adenomas among the general population are uncommon . Given concern over malignant transformation, the traditional standard of care has been radical surgical excision. Nevertheless, surgery is associated with significant perioperative mortality and morbidity, lengthy hospital courses, and long-term complications, which diminish the quality and quantity of life . Endoscopic intervention is a promising alternative therapeutic option.
Duodenal adenoma ...
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2013. CA Cancer J Clin. 2013;63:11–30. CrossRef
- Bilimoria KY, Bentrem DJ, Wayne JD, Ko CY, Bennett CL, Talamonti MS. Small bowel cancer in the United States: changes in epidemiology, treatment, and survival over the last 20 years. Ann Surg. 2009;249:63–71. CrossRef
- Kim HK, Chung WC, Lee BI, Cho YS. Efficacy and long-term outcome of endoscopic treatment of sporadic nonampullary duodenal adenoma. Gut Liver. 2010;4:373–377. CrossRef
- Fanning SB, Bourke MJ, Williams SJ, Chung AC, Kariyawasam VC. Giant laterally spreading tumors of the duodenum: endoscopic resection outcomes, limitations, and caveats. Gastroinest Endosc. 2012;75:805–812. CrossRef
- Hopper AD, Bourke MJ, Williams SJ, Swan MP. Giant laterally spreading tumors of the papilla: endoscopic features, resection technique, and outcome (with videos). Gastrointest Endosc. 2010;71:967–975. CrossRef
- Okada K. Sporadic nonampullary duodenal adenoma in the natural history of duodenal cancer: a study of follow-up surveillance. Am J Gastroenterol 2011; 357–364.
- Kwak H, Darmas B, Nutt M. Duodenal polypectomy is a rare cause of acute pancreatitis. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2009;91:W7–W9. CrossRef
- Gruttadauria S, Li Petri S, Echeverri GJ, et al. Liver abscess and septic shock as an unusual complication after endoscopic ampullectomy. Endoscopy 2011;43 Suppl 2 UCTN:E158-9.
- Jung JH, Choi KD, Ahn JY, et al. Endoscopic submucosal dissection for sessile, nonampullary duodenal adenomas. Endoscopy. 2013;45(2):133–135. CrossRef
- Yang WM, Min BH, Kim ER, et al. Efficacy and safety of endoscopic treatment for nonampullary sporadic duodenal adenomas. Dig Dis Sci. (Epub ahead of print). doi: 10.1007/s10620-013-2708-8.
- Treatment of Nonampullary Sporadic Duodenal Adenomas with Endoscopic Mucosal Resection or Ablation
Digestive Diseases and Sciences
Volume 58, Issue 10 , pp 2751-2752
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors