First Report of Telaprevir-Induced Pancreatitis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We present the first case of telaprevir-induced pancreatitis which is summarized below.
A 67-year-old Cambodian male with HTN, HCV genotype 1a/1b and viral load of 130,019 IU moved to the United States in May 2011. He had no history of drug/alcohol abuse or pancreatitis. Lisinopril 10 mg and hydrochlorthiazide (HCTZ) 25 mg daily were initiated. Alkaline phosphatase (AP), alanine aminotransaminase (ALT), aspartate aminotransaminase (AST), bilirubin, and platelets were 256 (56–119) IU, 147 (21–72) IU, 125 (27–59) IU, 1.1 (0.2–1.3) mg/day, and 52,000 (140–440) mm3, respectively. An abdominal CT scan with contrast showed nodular liver, normal gallbladder and pancreas. No esophageal or gastric varices were seen on endoscopy.
Four days after treatment for hepatitis C with subcutaneous peginterferon α2 a 180 mcg weekly, oral ribavirin 1,000 mg daily and oral telaprevir 750 mg three times daily was begun; he developed upper abdominal pain and was admitted with a lipase level of 18,066 (23–300) I
- Ando K, Kim SR, Imoto S, et al. Acute pancreatitis associated with pegylated interferon and ribavirin treatment of chronic hepatitis C, genotype 1b with high viral load. Case Rep Gastroenterol. 2009;3:372–376. CrossRef
- Bedrossian S, Vahid B. A case of fatal necrotizing pancreatitis: complication of hydrochlorothiazide and lisinopril therapy. Dig Dis Sci. 2007;52:558–560. CrossRef
- Ozdogan O, Tahan V, Cincin A, Imeryuz N, Tozun N. Acute pancreatitis associated with the use of peginterferon. Pancreas. 2007;34:485–487. CrossRef
- Tahan V, Tahan G, Dane F, Uraz S, Yardim M. Acute pancreatitis attributed to the use of pegylated interferon in a patient with chronic hepatitis C. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis. 2007;16:224–225.
- Trivedi CD, Pitchumoni CS. Drug-induced pancreatitis: an update. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2005;39:709–716. CrossRef
- First Report of Telaprevir-Induced Pancreatitis
Digestive Diseases and Sciences
Volume 58, Issue 3 , pp 887-888
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors