The Role of Steatosis in HBsAg Seroclearance for Patients with Chronic Hepatitis B Infection: Fact or Fiction?
In the Asia Pacific region, chronic hepatitis B (CHB) is an endemic infection, and is the most important cause of cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). The understanding of the natural history of CHB through large longitudinal population studies has been pivotal in identifying risk factors which are important for disease progression [1, 2]. Well-established risk factors include host factors, such as age and gender, and viral factors, such as genotype and viral load. The interplay between other types of liver diseases and CHB is less well studied. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), an entity which has traditionally been associated with Western populations, is now becoming more prevalent in many parts of Asia. This is partly due to the rising prevalence of obesity in the Asia Pacific countries. Therefore, it is unavoidable that there will be an increasing trend of NAFLD co-existing with other liver diseases. The effects of NAFLD on viral hepatitis have been described main ...
- Yuen, MF, Yuan, HJ, Wong, DK, Yuen, JC, Wong, WM, Chan, AO, Wong, BC (2005) Prognostic determinants for chronic hepatitis B in Asians: therapeutic implications. Gut 54: pp. 1610-1614 CrossRef
- Chen, CJ, Yang, HI, Su, J, Jen, CL, You, SL, Lu, SN, Huang, GT (2006) Risk of hepatocellular carcinoma across a biological gradient of serum hepatitis B virus DNA level. JAMA 295: pp. 65-73 CrossRef
- Lim JK, Nguyen MH. The role of hepatic steatosis in chronic hepatitis B infection. Curr Hepatitis Rep. 2011;10:134–141.
- Kim, KH, Shin, HJ, Kim, K, Choi, HM, Rhee, SH, Moon, HB, Kim, HH (2007) Hepatitis B virus X protein induces hepatic steatosis via transcriptional activation of SREBP1 and PPARgamma. Gastroenterology 132: pp. 1955-1967 CrossRef
- Wong, VW, Wong, GL, Chu, WC, Chim, AM, Ong, A, Yeung, DK, Yiu, KK (2012) Hepatitis B virus infection and fatty liver in the general population. J Hepatol 56: pp. 533-540 CrossRef
- Yu, MW, Shih, WL, Lin, CL, Liu, CJ, Jian, JW, Tsai, KS, Chen, CJ (2008) Body-mass index and progression of hepatitis B: a population-based cohort study in men. J Clin Oncol 26: pp. 5576-5582 CrossRef
- Chen, CL, Yang, HI, Yang, WS, Liu, CJ, Chen, PJ, You, SL, Wang, LY (2008) Metabolic factors and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma by chronic hepatitis B/C infection: a follow-up study in Taiwan. Gastroenterology 135: pp. 111-121 CrossRef
- Wong, GL, Wong, VW, Choi, PC, Chan, AW, Chim, AM, Yiu, KK, Chan, HY (2009) Metabolic syndrome increases the risk of liver cirrhosis in chronic hepatitis B. Gut 58: pp. 111-117 CrossRef
- Machado, MV, Oliveira, AG, Cortez-Pinto, H (2011) Hepatic steatosis in hepatitis B virus infected patients: meta-analysis of risk factors and comparison with hepatitis C infected patients. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 26: pp. 1361-1367
- Shi, JP, Fan, JG, Wu, R, Gao, XQ, Zhang, L, Wang, H, Farrell, GC (2008) Prevalence and risk factors of hepatic steatosis and its impact on liver injury in Chinese patients with chronic hepatitis B infection. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23: pp. 1419-1425 CrossRef
- Yun, JW, Cho, YK, Park, JH, Kim, HJ, Park, DI, Sohn, CI, Jeon, WK (2009) Hepatic steatosis and fibrosis in young men with treatment-naive chronic hepatitis B. Liver Int 29: pp. 878-883 CrossRef
- Lesmana, LA, Lesmana, CR, Pakasi, LS, Krisnuhoni, E (2012) Prevalence of hepatic steatosis in chronic hepatitis B patients and its association with disease severity. Acta Med Indones 44: pp. 35-39
- Chu, CM, Lin, DY, Liaw, YF (2007) Does increased body mass index with hepatic steatosis contribute to seroclearance of hepatitis B virus (HBV) surface antigen in chronic HBV infection?. Int J Obes (Lond) 31: pp. 871-875
- Chu CM, Lin DY, Liaw YF. Clinical and virological characteristics post HBsAg seroclearance in hepatitis B virus carriers with hepatic steatosis versus those without. Dig Dis Sci. 2012. (Epub ahead of print). doi:10.1007/s10620-012-2343-9.
- Liu, J, Yang, HI, Lee, MH, Lu, SN, Jen, CL, Wang, LY, You, SL (2010) Incidence and determinants of spontaneous hepatitis B surface antigen seroclearance: a community-based follow-up study. Gastroenterology 139: pp. 474-482 CrossRef
- Seto WK, Wong DK, Fung J, Hung IF, Fong DY, Yuen JC, Tong T, et al. A large case-control study on the predictability of hepatitis B surface antigen levels three years before hepatitis B surface antigen seroclearance. Hepatology 2012;56:812–819.
- The Role of Steatosis in HBsAg Seroclearance for Patients with Chronic Hepatitis B Infection: Fact or Fiction?
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Digestive Diseases and Sciences
Volume 58, Issue 1 , pp 20-22
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors