Abdominal Mass, Anemia, Diabetes Mellitus, and Necrolytic Migratory Erythema
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Case Presentation and Evolution
A 47-year-old Hispanic man presented to an outside hospital in March 2011 for evaluation of nausea, vomiting, fatigue, intermittent diarrhea, and weight-loss.
He had suffered from alternating diarrhea and constipation for several months, associated with nausea and vomiting, as well as unintentional weight-loss of approximately 11 kg (25 lb) over a 2-year period. He had also noted the development of a new pruritic diffuse erythematous rash present on his back, chest, abdomen, and bilateral lower extremities. Interestingly, he also described recent difficulties in controlling his blood sugars, with glucose levels persistently ranging above 250 mg/dL. Additionally, there was a remote history of fatigue dating back approximately 3 years, associated with the progressive weight-loss.
His past medical history included alcoholism, with a drinking history of a six-pack of beer daily for many years, as well as depression and dermatitis. Upon cessation of drinking, th ...
- Becker SW, Kahn D, Rothman S. Cutaneous manifestations of internal malignant tumors. Arch Dermatol Syph. 1942;45:1069. CrossRef
- McGavran MH, Unger RH, Recant L, Polk HC, Kilo C, Levin ME. A glucagon-secreting alpha-cell carcinoma of the pancreas. N Engl J Med. 1966;274:1408–1413. CrossRef
- Santacroce L, Griffing GT. Glucagonoma. E-medicine Medscape online reference 2011. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/118899-overview.
- Stacpoole PW. The glucagonoma syndrome: clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment. Endocr Rev. 1981;2:347–361. CrossRef
- Guillausseau PJ, Guillausseau-Scholer C. Glucagonomas: Clinical Presentation, Diagnosis, and Advances in Management. Basel: Karger; 1995.
- Yao JC, Eisner MP, Leary C, et al. Population-based study of islet cell carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2007;14:3492–3500. CrossRef
- Kindmark H, Sundin A, Granberg D, et al. Endocrine pancreatic tumors with glucagon hypersecretion: a retrospective study of 23 cases during 20 years. Med Oncol. 2007;24:330–337. CrossRef
- Norton JA, Barie PS, Bollinger RR, et al. Surgery: Basic Science and Clinical Evidence. 2nd edn. New York: Springer; 2008.
- Wermers RA, Fatourechi V, Wynne AG, Kvols LK, Lloyd RV. The glucagonoma syndrome. Clinical and pathologic features in 21 patients. Medicine (Baltimore). 1996;75:53–63. CrossRef
- Rosch T, Lightdale CJ, Botet JF, et al. Localization of pancreatic endocrine tumors by endoscopic ultrasonography. N Engl J Med. 1992;326:1721–1726. CrossRef
- Norton JA, Harris EJ, Chen Y, et al. Pancreatic endocrine tumors with major vascular abutment, involvement, or encasement and indication for resection. Arch Surg. 2011;146:724–732. CrossRef
- Maton PN. Use of octreotide acetate for control of symptoms in patients with islet cell tumors. World J Surg. 1993;17:504–510. CrossRef
- Wilkinson DS. Necrolytic migratory erythema with carcinoma of the pancreas. Trans St Johns Hosp Dermatol Soc. 1973;59:244–250.
- van Beek AP, de Haas ER, van Vloten WA, Lips CJ, Roijers JF, Canninga-van Dijk MR. The glucagonoma syndrome and necrolytic migratory erythema: a clinical review. Eur J Endocrinol. 2004;151:531–537. CrossRef
- Norton JA, Kahn CR, Schiebinger R, Gorschboth C, Brennan MF. Amino acid deficiency and the skin rash associated with glucagonoma. Ann Intern Med. 1979;91:213–215.
- Abdominal Mass, Anemia, Diabetes Mellitus, and Necrolytic Migratory Erythema
Digestive Diseases and Sciences
Volume 57, Issue 6 , pp 1465-1468
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA, 94305, USA
- 2. Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA, 94305, USA
- 3. Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA, 94305, USA