Contributing Factors to Gastric Ulcer Healing After Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection Including the Promoting Effect of Rebamipide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The healing process for artificial ulcers resulting from endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) for gastric cancer is not understood.
To clarify factors that promote healing and the additional healing effects of rebamipide, we conducted a randomized controlled trial to compare proton pump inhibitor (PPI) and combination PPI plus rebamipide treatments.
One hundred and seventy patients with early gastric cancers that had undergone ESD were enrolled. Follow-up endoscopy was scheduled at 4–6 weeks after ESD. We assessed marginal healing and basal healing independently by endoscopic observation. Marginal healing was determined by a regenerating epithelium and/or converging folds around the periphery of the ulcer. Basal healing was declared when the ulcer was covered by white coat thinning such that basal granulation could be seen. The sizes of the artificial ulcers were divided into normal size (area <1,200 mm2) or large size (area ≥1,200 mm2).
Initial ulcer size and duration after ESD were significantly correlated with both marginal and basal healing rates by univariate analysis. The marginal healing rate of antral lesions was higher than that of body lesions. Multivariate analysis showed a large-sized ulcer was the only significant predictor of delayed healing, with delayed healing defined as no observed marginal or basal healing (p < 0.0001). Subgroup analysis for the effect of rebamipide on large-sized ulcers showed a significantly higher rate of basal healing in the combination PPI and rebamipide group (p = 0.015).
Healing in ESD-induced ulcers was dependent on the initial ulcer size. In large-sized ulcers, rebamipide promotes basal healing.
- Kakushima N, Yahagi N, Fujishiro M, et al. The healing process of gastric artificial ulcers after endoscopic submucosal dissection. Dig Endosc. 2004;16:327–331. CrossRef
- Kakushima N, Fujishiro M, Yahagi N, Kodashima S, Nakamura M, Omata M. Helicobacter pylori status and the extent of gastric atrophy do not affect ulcer healing after endoscopic submucosal dissection. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006;21:1586–1589. CrossRef
- Kakushima N, Fujishiro M, Kodashima S, et al. Histopathologic characteristics of gastric ulcers created by endoscopic submucosal dissection. Endoscopy. 2006;38:412–415. CrossRef
- Oh TH, Jung HY, Choi KD, et al. Degree of healing and healing-associated factors of endoscopic submucosal dissection-induced ulcers after pantoprazole therapy for 4 weeks. Dig Dis Sci. 2009;54:1494–1499. CrossRef
- Kato T, Araki H, Onogi F, et al. Clinical trial: rebamipide promotes gastric ulcer healing by proton pump inhibitor after endoscopic submucosal dissection—a randomized controlled study. J Gastroenterol. 2010;45:285–290. CrossRef
- Sakita T, Fukushima H. Endoscopic diagnosis. In: Yoshitoshi Y, ed. Ulcer of the stomach and duodenum. Tokyo: Nankodo; 1971:198–208. (in Japanese).
- Uedo N, Takeuchi Y, Yamada T, et al. Effect of a proton pump inhibitor or an H2-receptor antagonist on prevention of bleeding from ulcer after endoscopic submucosal dissection of early gastric cancer: a prospective randomized controlled trial. Am J Gastroenterol. 2007;102:1610–1616. CrossRef
- Kato T, Araki H, Tomita E, Moriwaki H. The usefulness of combination therapy consisting of PPI and rebamipide, a gastroprotective agent, for gastric ulcers following ESD. Gastrointest Endosc. 2007;65:AB164. CrossRef
- Chow SC, Liu JP. Design and Analysis of Clinical Trials: Concepts and Methodologies. 2nd ed. New York: Wiley; 2004:438–452. CrossRef
- Hashimoto T, Adachi K. Changes in gastric mucosal blood flow during healing of EMR-induced ulcer—comparison with peptic ulcer. Dig Endosc. 1997;9:127–131. CrossRef
- Ye BD, Cheon JH, Choi KD, et al. Omeprazole may be superior to famotidine in the management of iatrogenic ulcer after endoscopic mucosal resection: a prospective randomized controlled trial. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2006;24:837–843. CrossRef
- Lee SY, Kim JJ, Lee JH, et al. Healing rate of EMR-induced ulcer in relation to the duration of treatment with omeprazole. Gastrointest Endosc. 2004;60:213–217. CrossRef
- Kawano S, Okada H, Kawahara Y, et al. Proton pump inhibitor dose-related healing rate of artificial ulcers after endoscopic submucosal dissection: a prospective randomized controlled trial. Digestion. 2011;84:46–53. CrossRef
- Tarnawski AS, Chai J, Pai R, Chiou SK. Rebamipide activates genes encoding angiogenic growth factors and Cox2 and stimulates angiogenesis: a key to its ulcer healing action? Dig Dis Sci. 2004;49:202–209. CrossRef
- Kleine A, Kluge S, Peskar BM. Stimulation of prostaglandin biosynthesis mediates gastroprotective effect of rebamipide in rats. Dig Dis Sci. 1993;38:1441–1449. CrossRef
- Suzuki M, Miura S, Mori M, et al. Rebamipide, a novel antiulcer agent, attenuates Helicobacter pylori induced gastric mucosal cell injury associated with neutrophil derived oxidants. Gut. 1994;35:1375–1378. CrossRef
- Haruma K, Ito M, Kido S, et al. Long-term rebamipide therapy improves Helicobacter pylori-associated chronic gastritis. Dig Dis Sci. 2002;47:862–867. CrossRef
- Kim HK, Kim JI, Kim JK, et al. Preventive effects of rebamipide on NSAID-induced gastric mucosal injury and reduction of gastric mucosal blood flow in healthy volunteers. Dig Dis Sci. 2007;52:1776–1782. CrossRef
- Park SH, Cho CS, Lee OY, et al. Comparison of prevention of NSAID-induced gastrointestinal complications by rebamipide and misoprostol: a randomized, multicenter, controlled trial-STORM study. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2007;40:148–155. CrossRef
- Iijima K, Ichikawa T, Okada S, et al. Rebamipide, a cytoprotective drug, increases gastric mucus secretion in human: evaluations with endoscopic gastrin test. Dig Dis Sci. 2009;54:1500–1507. CrossRef
- Suzuki H, Minegishi Y, Nomoto Y, et al. Down-regulation of a morphogen (sonic hedgehog) gradient in the gastric epithelium of Helicobacter pylori-infected Mongolian gerbils. J Pathol. 2005;206:186–197. CrossRef
- Nishizawa T, Suzuki H, Masaoka T, Minegishi Y, Iwasahi E, Hibi T. Helicobacter pylori eradication restored sonic hedgehog expression in the stomach. Hepatogastroenterology. 2007;54:697–700.
- Nishizawa T, Suzuki H, Nakagawa I, et al. Early Helicobacter pylori eradication restores sonic hedgehog expression in the gastric mucosa of Mongolian gerbils. Digestion. 2009;79:99–108. CrossRef
- Nishizawa T, Suzuki H, Nakagawa I, et al. Rebamipide-promoted restoration of gastric mucosal sonic hedgehog expression after early Helicobacter pylori eradication. Digestion. 2009;79:259–262. CrossRef
- Terano A, Arakawa T, Sugiyama T, et al. Rebamipide, a gastro-protective and anti-inflammatory drug, promotes gastric ulcer healing following eradication therapy for Helicobacter pylori in a Japanese population: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Gastroenterol. 2007;42:690–693. CrossRef
- Contributing Factors to Gastric Ulcer Healing After Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection Including the Promoting Effect of Rebamipide
Digestive Diseases and Sciences
Volume 57, Issue 1 , pp 119-126
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Iatrogenic ulcer
- Gastric cancer
- Proton pump inhibitor
- Clinical trial
- Randomized controlled study
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Endoscopy, Niigata University Medical and Dental Hospital, 1-757 Asahimachi-dori, Chuo-ku, Niigata, 951-8520, Japan
- 2. Department of Gastroenterology, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata, Japan