Mechanism of Acid Hypersecretion Post Curative Gastrinoma Resection
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Some patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome post curative gastrinoma resection continue to show gastric acid hypersecretion; however, the mechanism is unknown.
The aim of this study was to prospectively study acid secretion following curative gastrinoma resection and analyze factors contributing in patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
Fifty patients cured post gastrinoma resection were studied with serial assessments of acid secretory status, cure status and ECL-cell status/activity (with serial biopsies, CgA, urinary N-MIAA). Correlative analysis was performed to determine predictive factors.
Hypersecretion occurred in 31 patients (62%) and 14 had extreme-hypersecretion. There was an initial decline (3–6 months) in BAO/MAO, which then remained stable for eight years. Preoperative BAO correlated with the postoperative secretion, but not other clinical, tumoral, laboratory variables, the degree of postoperative acid suppression or type of antisecretory drug needed. Hypersecretors had greater postoperative ECL changes (P = 0.005), serum CGA (P = 0.009) and 24-h urinary N-MIAA (P = 0.0038).
Post curative resection, gastric hypersecretion persists long term (mean 8 years) in 62% of patients and in 28% it is extreme, despite normogastrinemia. No preoperative variable except BAO correlates with postresection hypersecretion. The persistent increased ECL-cell extent post curative resection suggests prolonged hypergastrinemia can lead to changes in ECL-cells that are either irreversible in humans or sustained by unknown mechanisms not involving fasting hypergastrinemia and which can result in hypersecretion, in a proportion of which it can be extreme. Whether similar findings may occur in patients with idiopathic GERD treated for prolonged periods (>10 years) with PPIs, at present, is unknown.
- Jensen RT, Niederle B, Mitry E, Ramage JK, et al. Gastrinoma (duodenal and pancreatic). Neuroendocrinology. 2006;84:173–182. CrossRef
- Roy P, Venzon DJ, Feigenbaum KM, Koviack PD, et al. Gastric secretion in Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: correlation with clinical expression, tumor extent and role in diagnosis—A prospective NIH study of 235 patients and review of the literature in 984 cases. Medicine (Baltimore). 2001;80:189–222. CrossRef
- Norton JA, Jensen RT. Resolved and unresolved controversies in the surgical management of patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Ann Surg. 2004;240:757–773. CrossRef
- Maton PN, Dayal Y. Clinical implications of hypergastrinemia. In: Zakim D, Dannenberg AJ, eds. Peptic Ulcer Disease and Other Acid-Related Disorders. Armonk, NY: Academic Research Associates; 1991:213–246.
- Peghini PL, Annibale B, Azzoni C, Milione M, et al. Effect of chronic hypergastrinemia on human enterochromaffin-like cells: insights from patients with sporadic gastrinomas. Gastroenterology. 2002;123:68–85. CrossRef
- Maton PN, Lack EE, Collen MJ, Cornelius MJ, et al. The effect of Zollinger-Ellison syndrome and omeprazole therapy on gastric oxyntic endocrine cells. Gastroenterology. 1990;99:943–950.
- Creutzfeldt W. The achlorhydria-carcinoid sequence: role of gastrin. Digestion. 1988;39:61–79.
- Jensen RT. Involvement of cholecystokinin/gastrin-related peptides and their receptors in clinical gastrointestinal disorders. Pharmacol Toxicol. 2002;91:333–350. CrossRef
- Jensen RT. Gastrinoma as a model for prolonged hypergastrinemia in man. In: Walsh JH, ed. Gastrin. New York, NY: Raven Press Publishing Co; 1993:373–393.
- Richter JE. Gastroesophageal reflux disease. In: Yamada T, Alpers DH, Kalloo AN, Kaplowitz N, Owyang C, Powell DW, eds. Textbook of Gastroenterology. Oxford, UK: Blackwell; 2009:772–801.
- Jensen RT. Consequences of long-term proton pump blockade: highlighting insights from studies of patients with gastrinomas. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2006;98:4–19. CrossRef
- Jansen JB, Klinkenberg-Knol EC, Meuwissen SG, De Bruijne JW, et al. Effect of long-term treatment with omeprazole on serum gastrin and serum group A and C pepsinogens in patients with reflux esophagitis. Gastroenterology. 1990;99:621–628.
- Berna MJ, Hoffmann KM, Serrano J, Gibril F, Jensen RT. Serum gastrin in Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: I. Prospective study of fasting serum gastrin in 309 patients from the National Institutes of Health and comparison with 2229 cases from the literature. Medicine (Baltimore). 2006;85:295–330. CrossRef
- Klinkenberg-Knol EC, Festen HPM, Jansen JBMJ, Lamers CBHW, et al. Long-term treatment with omeprazole for refractory reflux esophagitis: efficacy and safety. Ann Intern Med. 1994;121:161–167.
- Klinkenberg-Knol EC, Nelis F, Dent J, Snel P, et al. Long-term omeprazole treatment in resistant gastroesophageal reflux disease: efficacy, safety and influence on gastric mucosa. Gastroenterology. 2000;118:661–669. CrossRef
- Solcia E, Bordi C, Creutzfeldt W, Dayal Y, et al. Histopathological classification of nonantral gastric endocrine growths in man. Digestion. 1988;41:185–200. CrossRef
- Delle Fave G, Capurso G, Milione M, Panzuto F. Endocrine tumours of the stomach. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2005;19:659–673. CrossRef
- Wangberg B, Nilsson O, Theodorsson E, Modlin IM, et al. Are enterochromaffinlike cell tumours reversible? An experimental study on gastric carcinoids induced in Mastomys by histamine2-receptor blockade. Regul Pept. 1995;56:19–33. CrossRef
- Gillen D, McColl KE. Problems related to acid rebound and tachyphylaxis. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2001;15:487–495. CrossRef
- Hunfeld NG, Geus WP, Kuipers EJ. Systematic review: rebound acid hypersecretion after therapy with proton pump inhibitors. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2007;25:39–46. CrossRef
- Waldum HL, Qvigstad G, Fossmark R, Kleveland PM, Sandvik AK. Rebound acid hypersecretion from a physiological, pathophysiological and clinical viewpoint. Scand J Gastroenterol 2009;45:389–394.
- Fossmark R, Johnsen G, Johanessen E, Waldum HL. Rebound acid hypersecretion after long-term inhibition of gastric acid secretion. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2005;21:149–154. CrossRef
- Reimer C, Sondergaard B, Hilsted L, Bytzer P. Proton-pump inhibitor therapy induces acid-related symptoms in healthy volunteers after withdrawal of therapy. Gastroenterology. 2009;137:80–87. CrossRef
- Berna MJ, Annibale B, Marignani M, Luong TV, et al. A prospective study of gastric carcinoids and enterochromaffin-like cells changes in multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: identification of risk factors. J Clin Endocrinol Metabol. 2008;93:1582–1591. CrossRef
- Norton JA, Alexander HR, Fraker DL, Venzon DJ, Jensen RT. Does the use of routine duodenotomy (DUODX) affect rate of cure, development of liver metastases or survival in patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome (ZES)? Ann Surg. 2004;239:617–626. CrossRef
- Pisegna JR, Norton JA, Slimak GG, Metz DC, et al. Effects of curative resection on gastric secretory function and antisecretory drug requirement in the Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Gastroenterology. 1992;102:767–778.
- Fishbeyn VA, Norton JA, Benya RV, Pisegna JR, et al. Assessment and prediction of long-term cure in patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: the best approach. Ann Intern Med. 1993;119:199–206.
- Berna MJ, Hoffmann KM, Long SH, Serrano J, et al. Serum gastrin in Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: II. Prospective study of gastrin provocative testing in 293 patients from the National Institutes of Health and comparison with 537 cases from the literature. Evaluation of diagnostic criteria, proposal of new criteria, and correlations with clinical and tumoral features. Medicine (Baltimore). 2006;85:331–364. CrossRef
- Bordi C, Azzoni C, Ferraro G, Corleto VD, et al. Sampling strategies for analysis of enterochromaffin-like cell changes in Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Am J Clin Pathol. 2000;114:419–425.
- Goebel SU, Serrano J, Yu F, Gibril F, et al. Prospective study of the value of serum chromogranin A or serum gastrin levels in assessment of the presence, extent, or growth of gastrinomas. Cancer. 1999;85:1470–1483. CrossRef
- Borch K, Stridsberg M, Burman P, Rehfeld JF. Basal chromogranin A and gastrin concentrations in circulation correlate to endocrine cell proliferation in type-A gastritis. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1997;32:198–202. CrossRef
- Sanduleanu S, Stridsberg M, Jonkers D, Hameeteman W, et al. Serum gastrin and chromogranin A during medium- and long-term acid suppressive therapy: a case-control study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 1999;13:145–153. CrossRef
- Granerus G. Effects of oral histamine, histidine and diet on urinary excretion of histamine, methylhistamine and 1-methyl-4-imidazoleacetic acid in man. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 1968;104:49–58.
- Bashir S, Gibril F, Ojeaburu J, Asgharian B, et al. Prospective study of the ability of histamine, serotonin or chromogranin A levels to identify gastric carcinoids in patients with gastrinomas. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2002;16:1367–1382. CrossRef
- Norton JA, Fraker DL, Alexander HR, Venzon DJ, et al. Surgery to cure the Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. N Engl J Med. 1999;341:635–644. CrossRef
- Krudy AG, Doppman JL, Jensen RT, Norton JA, et al. Localization of islet cell tumors by dynamic CT: comparison with plain CT, arteriography, sonography and venous sampling. Am J Roentgenol. 1984;143:585–589.
- Gibril F, Reynolds JC, Chen CC, Yu F, et al. Specificity of somatostatin receptor scintigraphy: a prospective study and the effects of false positive localizations on management in patients with gastrinomas. J Nucl Med. 1999;40:539–553.
- Gibril F, Doppman JL, Reynolds JC, Chen CC, et al. Bone metastases in patients with gastrinomas: a prospective study of bone scanning, somatostatin receptor scanning, and MRI in their detection, their frequency, location and effect of their detection on management. J Clin Oncol. 1998;16:1040–1053.
- Doppman JL, Miller DL, Chang R, Maton PN, et al. Gastrinomas: localization by means of selective intraarterial injection of secretin. Radiology. 1990;174:25–29.
- Alexander HR, Fraker DL, Norton JA, Barlett DL, et al. Prospective study of somatostatin receptor scintigraphy and its effect on operative outcome in patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Ann Surg. 1998;228:228–238. CrossRef
- Jensen RT. Management of the Zollinger-Ellison syndrome in patients with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1. J Intern Med. 1998;243:477–488. CrossRef
- Norton JA, Alexander HR, Fraker DL, Venzon DJ, et al. Comparison of surgical results in patients with advanced and limited disease with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Ann Surg. 2001;234:495–506. CrossRef
- Gibril F, Schumann M, Pace A, Jensen RT. Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. A prospective study of 107 cases and comparison with 1009 patients from the literature. Medicine. 2004;83:43–83. CrossRef
- Frucht H, Norton JA, London JF, Vinayek R, et al. Detection of duodenal gastrinomas by operative endoscopic transillumination: a prospective study. Gastroenterology. 1990;99:1622–1627.
- Benya RV, Metz DC, Venzon DJ, Fishbeyn VA, et al. Zollinger-Ellison syndrome can be the initial endocrine manifestation in patients with multiple endocrine neoplasia-type 1. Am J Med. 1994;97:436–444. CrossRef
- Aprile MR, Azzoni C, Gibril F, Jensen RT, Bordi C. Intramucosal cysts in the gastric body of patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Hum Pathol. 2000;31:140–148. CrossRef
- Roy P, Venzon DJ, Shojamanesh H, Abou-Saif A, et al. Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: clinical presentation in 261 patients. Medicine. 2000;79:379–411. CrossRef
- Metz DC, Pisegna JR, Fishbeyn VA, Benya RV, et al. Currently used doses of omeprazole in Zollinger-Ellison syndrome are too high. Gastroenterology. 1992;103:1498–1508.
- Collen MJ, Jensen RT. Idiopathic gastric acid hypersecretion: comparison with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Dig Dis Sci. 1994;39:1434–1440. CrossRef
- Termanini B, Gibril F, Sutliff VE III, Yu F, et al. Effect of long-term gastric acid suppressive therapy on serum vitamin B12 levels in patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Am J Med. 1998;104:422–430. CrossRef
- Gillen D, Wirz AA, Ardill JE, McColl KE. Rebound hypersecretion after omeprazole and its relation to on-treatment acid suppression and Helicobacter pylori status. Gastroenterology. 1999;116:239–247. CrossRef
- Metz DC, Weber HC, Orbuch M, Strader DB, et al. Helicobacter pylori infection: a reversible cause of hypergastrinemia and hyperchlorhydria which can mimic Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Dig Dis Sci. 1995;40:153–159. CrossRef
- Weber HC, Venzon DJ, Jensen RT, Metz DC. Studies on the interrelation between Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, Helicobacter pylori and proton pump inhibitor therapy. Gastroenterology. 1997;112:84–91. CrossRef
- Lamberts R, Creutzfeldt W, Struber HG, Brunner G, Solcia E. Long-term omeprazole therapy in peptic ulcer disease: gastrin, endocrine cell growth, and gastritis. Gastroenterology. 1993;104:1356–1370.
- Ekman L, Hansson E, Havu N, Carlsson E, Lundberg C. Toxicological studies on omeprazole. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1985;20(Suppl 108):53–69.
- Waldum HL, Brenna E, Sandvik AK. Long-term safety of proton pump inhibitors: risks of gastric neoplasia and infections. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2002;1:29–38. CrossRef
- Sandvik AK, Brenna E, Waldum HL. Review article: the pharmacological inhibition of gastric acid secretion—tolerance and rebound. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 1997;11:1013–1018. CrossRef
- McColl KE, Gillen D. Evidence that proton-pump inhibitor therapy induces the symptoms it is used to treat. Gastroenterology. 2009;137:20–22. CrossRef
- Larsson H, Carlsson E, Ryberg B, Fryklund J, Wallmark B. Rat parietal cell function after prolonged inhibition of gastric acid secretion. Am J Physiol. 1988;254:G33–G39.
- LePard KJ, Mohammed JR, Stephens RL Jr. Gastric ECL-cell hyperplasia produces enhanced basal and stimulated gastric acid output but not gastric erosion formation in the rat. Gen Pharmacol. 1997;28:415–420.
- Larsson H, Carlsson E, Mattsson H, Lundell L, et al. Plasma gastrin and gastric enterochromaffin-like cell activation and proliferation. Studies with omeprazole and ranitidine in intact and antrectomized rats. Gastroenterology. 1986;90:391–399.
- Nishida A, Kobayashi-Uchida A, Akuzawa S, Takinami Y, et al. Gastrin receptor antagonist YM022 prevents hypersecretion after long-term acid suppression. Am J Physiol. 1995;269:G699–G705.
- Carlsson E, Larsson H, Mattsson H, Ryberg B, Sundell G. Pharmacology and toxicology of omeprazole—with special reference to the effects on the gastric mucosa. Scand J Gastroenterol (Suppl). 1986;118:31–38. CrossRef
- Weinstein WM, Ippoliti AF, Lee SW, Weber LJ, Lieberman DA. Acid hypersecretion, parietal cell hyperplasia, and endoscopic changes after withdrawal of long term high dose omeprazole therapy: a prospective study. Gastroenterology. 1996;110(4):A294.
- Larsson H, Carlsson E, Hakanson R, Mattsson H, et al. Time-course of development and reversal of gastric endocrine cell hyperplasia after inhibition of acid secretion. Gastroenterology. 1988;95:1477–1486.
- Tielemans Y, Chen D, Sundler F, Hakanson R, Willems G. Reversibility of the cell kinetic changes induced by omeprazole in the rat oxyntic mucosa. An autoradiographic study using tritiated thymidine. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1992;27:155–160. CrossRef
- Chey WY, Chang TM, Park HJ, Lee KY, et al. Non-gastrin secretagogue in ulcerogenic tumors of the pancreas. Ann Intern Med. 1984;101:7–13.
- Chey WY, Chang TM, Lee KY, Sun G, et al. Ulcerogenic tumor syndrome of the pancreas associated with a nongastric acid secretogogue. Ann Surg. 1989;210:139–149. CrossRef
- Jensen RT. Treatment of pancreatic Zollinger-Ellison syndrome and other gastric hypersecretory states. In: Wolfe MM, ed. Therapy of Digestive Disorders. A Companion to Sleisenger and Fordtran’s Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co; 2000:169–187.
- Jensen RT, Berna MJ, Bingham MD, Norton JA. Inherited pancreatic endocrine tumor syndromes: advances in molecular pathogenesis, diagnosis, management and controversies. Cancer. 2008;113(7 suppl):1807–1843. CrossRef
- Kirkpatrick PM Jr, Hirschowitz BI. Duodenal ulcer with unexplained marked basal gastric acid hypersecretion. Gastroenterology. 1980;79:4–10.
- Jensen RT, Gardner JD. Gastrinoma. In: Go VLW, DiMagno EP, Gardner JD, Lebenthal E, Reber HA, Scheele GA, eds. The Pancreas: Biology, Pathobiology and Disease. New York: Raven Press Publishing Co; 1993:931–978.
- Howard JM, Chremos AN, Collen MJ, McArthur KE, et al. Famotidine, a new, potent, long-acting histamine H2-receptor antagonist: comparison with cimetidine and ranitidine in the treatment of Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Gastroenterology. 1985;88:1026–1033.
- Mechanism of Acid Hypersecretion Post Curative Gastrinoma Resection
Digestive Diseases and Sciences
Volume 56, Issue 1 , pp 139-154
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
- Acid secretion
- Proton pump inhibitors
- ECL cells
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Digestive Diseases Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bldg. 10, Rm. 9C-103, 10 CENTER DR MSC 1804, Bethesda, MD, 20892-1804, USA
- 2. Department of Medicine and Bioregulatory Science, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
- 3. Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Section of Pathological Anatomy, University of Parma, Parma, Italy