Endoclip-Assisted Resection of Large Pedunculated Colorectal Polyps: Technical Aspects and Outcome
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The most common complication of polypectomy is hemorrhage, and various techniques have been used to prevent this complication.
This study evaluates the outcomes of endoclip-assisted polypectomy in patients with large pedunculated colorectal polyps, in comparison with a historical control group of patients treated with endoloop-assisted polypectomy.
Between January and December 2007, 32 patients with 32 large pedunculated polyps (≥15 mm) were treated with endoclip-assisted polypectomy (group A). Between January and December 2006, 35 patients with 35 large pedunculated polyps were treated; 33 with endoloop-assisted polypectomy (control, group B) and two cases with endoclips and needle knife, which were included in group A for the analysis.
The mean (± standard deviation [SD]) size of polyp head was 26.8 ± 8.1 mm (range 15–50) in group A and 22.3 ± 4.1 mm (range 15–30) in group B (P = 0.004). In group A, six polyps had a mean (±SD) head size of 40.8 ± 5.8 mm (range 35–50) and were resected with clips and needle knife. In group A, bleeding occurred in two cases (5.9%), which were associated with the presence of cancer at histology (P = 0.006) and were managed by applying new clips. No bleeding occurred in patients of group B and no perforation and post-polypectomy syndrome occurred in either group. There were three (8.8%) cancerized adenomas in group A and one (3%) in group B. Clip application was possible in all patients, while in two cases, loop placement was impossible.
In our experience, endoclip-assisted resection is a safe alternative to endoloop for the resection of large pedunculated colorectal polyps when endoloop placement is difficult or impossible.
- Winawer SJ, Zauber AG, O’Brien MJ, Ho MN, Gottlieb L, Sternberg SS, Waye JD, Bond J, Schapiro M, Stewart ET, Panish J, Ackroyd F, Kurtz RC, Shike M. Randomized comparison of surveillance intervals after colonoscopic removal of newly diagnosed adenomatous polyps. The National Polyp Study Workgroup. N Engl J Med. 1993;328:901–906. CrossRef
- Winawer SJ, Zauber AG, Ho MN, O’Brien MJ, Gottlieb LS, Sternberg SS, Waye JD, Schapiro M, Bond JH, Panish JF, Ackroyd F, Shike M, Kurtz RC, Hornsby-Lewis L, Gerdes H, Stewart ET. Prevention of colorectal cancer by colonoscopic polypectomy. The National Polyp Study Workgroup. N Engl J Med. 1993;329:1977–1981. CrossRef
- Repici A, Tricerri R. Endoscopic polypectomy: techniques, complications and follow-up. Tech Coloproctol. 2004;8(Suppl 2):283–290. CrossRef
- Rosen L, Bub DS, Reed JF 3rd, Nastasee SA. Hemorrhage following colonoscopic polypectomy. Dis Colon Rectum. 1993;36:1126–1131. CrossRef
- Van Gossum A, Cozzoli A, Adler M, Taton G, Cremer M. Colonoscopic snare polypectomy: Analysis of 1485 resections comparing two types of current. Gastrointest Endosc. 1992;38:472–475. CrossRef
- Dominitz JA, Eisen GM, Baron TH, Goldstein JL, Hirota WK, Jacobson BC, Johanson JF, Leighton JA, Mallery JS, Raddawi HM, Vargo JJ 2nd, Waring JP, Fanelli RD, Wheeler-Harbough J, Faigel DO; Standards of Practice Committee. American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Complications of colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc. 2003;57:441–445. CrossRef
- Sorbi D, Norton I, Conio M, Balm R, Zinsmeister A, Gostout CJ. Postpolypectomy lower GI bleeding: Descriptive analysis. Gastrointest Endosc. 2000;51:690–696. CrossRef
- Rohde H, Guenther MW, Budde R, Mühlhofer H. Randomized trial of prophylactic epinephrine-saline injection before snare polypectomy to prevent bleeding. Endoscopy. 2000;32:1004–1005.
- Dobrowolski S, Dobosz M, Babicki A, Dymecki D, Hać S. Prophylactic submucosal saline–adrenaline injection in colonoscopic polypectomy: Prospective randomized study. Surg Endosc. 2004;18:990–993. CrossRef
- Iishi H, Tatsuta M, Narahara H, Iseki K, Sakai N. Endoscopic resection of large pedunculated colorectal polyps using a detachable snare. Gastrointest Endosc. 1996;44:594–597. CrossRef
- Di Giorgio P, De Luca L, Calcagno G, Rivellini G, Mandato M, De Luca B. Detachable snare versus epinephrine injection in the prevention of postpolypectomy bleeding: A randomized and controlled study. Endoscopy. 2004;36:860–863. CrossRef
- Paspatis GA, Paraskeva K, Theodoropoulou A, Mathou N, Vardas E, Oustamanolakis P, Chlouverakis G, Karagiannis I. A prospective, randomized comparison of adrenaline injection in combination with detachable snare versus adrenaline injection alone in the prevention of postpolypectomy bleeding in large colonic polyps. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101:2805–2809. CrossRef
- Rey JF, Marek TA. Endo-loop in the prevention of the post-polypectomy bleeding: Preliminary results. Gastrointest Endosc. 1997;46:387–389.
- Cariani G, Di Marco M, Roda E. Endoloop-assisted polypectomy for large peduncolated colorectal polyps. Surg Endosc. 2007;21:1676–1677. CrossRef
- Katsinelos P, Kountouras J, Paroutoglou G, Beltsis A, Chatzimavroudis G, Zavos C, Vasiliadis I, Katsinelos T, Papaziogas B. Endoloop-assisted polypectomy for large pedunculated colorectal polyps. Surg Endosc. 2006;20:1257–1261. CrossRef
- Matsushita M, Hajiro K, Takakuwa H, Kusumi F, Maruo T, Ohana M, Tominaga M, Okano A, Yunoki Y. Ineffective use of a detachable snare for colonoscopic polypectomy of large polyps. Gastrointest Endosc. 1998;47:496–499. CrossRef
- Iida Y, Miura S, Munemoto Y, Kasahara Y, Asada Y, Toya D, Fujisawa M. Endoscopic resection of large colorectal polyps using a clipping method. Dis Colon Rectum. 1994;37:179–180. CrossRef
- Cipolletta L, Bianco MA, Rotondano G, Catalano M, Prisco A, De Simone T. Endoclip-assisted resection of large pedunculated colon polyps. Gastrointest Endosc. 1999;50:405–406. CrossRef
- Katsinelos P, Chatzimavroudis G, Papaziogas B, Zavos C, Paroutoglou G, Pilpilidis I, Vasiliadis T, Kountouras J. Endoclipping-assisted resection of large colorectal polyps. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2008;18:19–23. CrossRef
- Hamilton SR, Aaltonen LA. World Health Organization classification of tumours. Pathology and genetics of tumours of the digestive system. Lyon: IARC Press; 2000, pp 103–143.
- Binmoeller KF, Bohnacker S, Seifert H, Thonke F, Valdeyar H, Soehendra N. Endoscopic snare excision of “giant” colorectal polyps. Gastrointest Endosc. 1996;43:183–188. CrossRef
- Stergiou N, Riphaus A, Lange P, Menke D, Köckerling F, Wehrmann T. Endoscopic snare resection of large colonic polyps: How far can we go? Int J Colorectal Dis. 2003;18:131–135. CrossRef
- Endoclip-Assisted Resection of Large Pedunculated Colorectal Polyps: Technical Aspects and Outcome
Digestive Diseases and Sciences
Volume 55, Issue 6 , pp 1726-1731
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Large pedunculated polyps
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Unit of Gastroenterology and Digestive Endoscopy, AUSL Bologna Bellaria-Maggiore Hospital, Largo Nigrisoli 2, 40135, Bologna, Italy
- 2. Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
- 3. Department of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
- 4. Department of Statistics, University of Messina, Messina, Italy