Down-regulation of Protein and mRNA Expression of IL-8 and ICAM-1 in Colon Tissue of Ulcerative Colitis Patients by Partition-Herb Moxibustion
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Our previous studies have demonstrated the efficacy of partition-herb moxibustion on ulcerative colitis (UC) rats. However, the mechanism of actions of partition-herb moxibustion is still unclear. Most Chinese acupuncturists believe that partition-herb improves the effect of moxibustion therapy. However, this argument lacks confirming experimental and clinical evidence. So, whether partition-herb does play a role in the mechanism of actions of partition-herb moxibustion was reported in this paper. A total of 123 patients were randomly divided into the partition-herb moxibustion group and the control group (partition-bran moxibustion group). Fourteen patients dropped out of the study. Finally, 109 patients finished the intervention. Sixty-one patients with UC received partition-herb moxibustion and 48 patients with UC received partition-bran moxibustion for 72 treatments, one treatment per day, every 12 treatments with an interval of 3 days. The expressions of interleukin-8 (IL-8) and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) in the colonic mucosa tissue in mild patients with UC were assayed by immunohistochemistry and RT-PCR. Histology of the colon also was observed at entry and after 72 treatments. Clinical therapeutic effect in partition-herb moxibustion was significantly better than those in partition-bran moxibustion (P < 0.05). Protein and mRNA expression of IL-8, ICAM-1 in the patients was inhibited by both partition-herb moxibustion and partition-bran moxibustion, of those the inhibition in the partition-herb moxibustion group was more obvious (P < 0.01). Partition-herb moxibustion was shown to significantly improve the histology of the colon, and partition-herb was shown to improve the therapeutic effect of moxibustion on treatment of UC patients.
- Clark M, Colombel JF, Feagan BC, et al. American gastroenterological association consensus development conference on the use of biologics in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease, June 21–23, 2006. Gastroenterology. 2007;133:312–339. doi:10.1053/j.gastro.2007.05.006. CrossRef
- Wu HG, Tan WL, Chen HP, Shi Z, Hua XG. Effect of moxibustion on ulcerative colitis and expression of HLA-DR antigen on epithelial cell of the colon. Acupunct Res. 1999;24:12–16.
- Liu HR, Shi DR, Wu HG, Zhong YS, Li S. Effect of partition-herb moxibustion on expression of COX-2, TNF-α in colonic mucosa of patients with ulcerative colitis. Chin Arch Tradtional Chin Med. 2005;23:989–992.
- Wu HG, Chen HP, Wang N, Zhao CY, Chen JL, Shi Z. Ulcerative colitis animal models and morphology study of therapeutic effect of partition-herb moxibustion. Chin Acupunct Moxibustion. 1994;14:35–37.
- Wu HG, Chen HP, Liao BS, Shi Z, Zhang LS. Effect of partition-herb moxibustion on immune function and β-endorphin of ulcerative colitis rats. Chin Acupunct Moxibustion. 1997;17:163–165.
- Shi Z, Wu HG, Chen HP, Hua XG. Effect of different therapies of acupuncture and Moxibustion on regulation of immune function ulcerative colitis rats. J Clin Acupunct Moxibustion. 1996;12:23–25.
- Wu HG, Zhou LB, Huang C, et al. Gene expression of cytokines in acupuncture and moxibustion treatment for ulcerative colitis in rats. WCJD. 1998;6:853–855.
- Wu HG, Liu HR, Zhao C, et al. Study on differentially expressed genes of ulcerative colitis in the rat treated by partition-herb moxibustion. Chin Acupunct Moxibustion. 2005;25:359–365.
- Mitsuyama K, Toyonaga A, Sata M. Immunoregulatory cytokines and intestinal inflammation. J Gastroenterol. 2005;40:217–219. doi:10.1007/s00535-005-1547-6. CrossRef
- Papadakis KA, Targan SR. Role of cytokines in the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease. Annu Rev Med. 2000;51:289–298. doi:10.1146/annurev.med.51.1.289. CrossRef
- Rogler G, Andus T. Cytokines in inflammatory bowel disease. World J Surg. 1998;22:382–389. doi:10.1007/s002689900401. CrossRef
- MacDermott RP. Alterations of the mucosal immune system in inflammatory bowel disease. J Gastroenterol. 1996;31:907–916. doi:10.1007/BF02358624. CrossRef
- Allison MC, Dhillon AP, Lewis WG, Pounder RE. Inflammatory Bowel Disease. London: Mosby; 1998:9–95.
- Yamamoto T, Umegae S, Kitagawa T, Matsumoto K. Systemic and local cytokine production in quiescent ulcerative colitis and its relationship to future relapse: a prospective pilot study. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2005;11:589–596. doi:10.1097/01.MIB.0000161917.97136.e2. CrossRef
- Tsukada Y, Nakamura T, Iimura M, Iizuka BE, Hayashi N. Cytokine profile in colonic mucosa of ulcerative colitis correlates with disease activity and response to granulocytapheresis. Am J Gastroenterol. 2002;97:2820–2828. doi:10.1111/j.1572-0241.2002.07029.x. CrossRef
- Menzel T, Lührs H, Zirlik S, et al. Butyrate inhibits leukocyte adhesion to endothelial cells via modulation of VCAM-1. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2004;10:122–128. doi:10.1097/00054725-200403000-00010. CrossRef
- Woywodt A, Ludwig D, Neustock P, et al. Mucosal cytokine expression, cellular markers and adhesion molecules in inflammatory bowel disease. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1999;11:267–276. doi:10.1097/00042737-199903000-00010. CrossRef
- National Academic Conference on Digestive System Diseases. The diagnosis and therapy criterions of ulcerative colitis. Chin J Dig. 1993;13:354–355.
- Vainer B. Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) in ulcerative colitis: presence, visualization, and significance. Inflamm Res. 2005;54:313–327. doi:10.1007/s00011-005-1363-8. CrossRef
- Podolsky DK. Inflammatory bowel disease. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:417–429. doi:10.1056/NEJMra020831. CrossRef
- Cassatella MA. The production of cytokines by polymorphonuclear neutrophils. Immunol Today. 1995;16:21–26. doi:10.1016/0167-5699(95)80066-2. CrossRef
- Mahida YR, Caska M, Effenberger F, Kurlak L, Lindley I, Hawkey CJ. Enhanced synthesis of neutrophi activating peptide-1/interleukin-8 in active ulcerative colitis. Clin Sci. 1992;82:273–275.
- Nielsen OH, Rudiger N, Gaustadnes M, Horn T. Intestinal interleukin-8 concentration and gene expression in inflammatory bowel disease. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1997;32:1028–1034. doi:10.3109/00365529709011220. CrossRef
- Mitsuyama K, Toyonaga A, Sasaki E, et al. IL-8 as important chemoattractant for neutrophils in ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. Clin Exp Immunol. 1994;96:432–436.
- Mazzucchelli L, Hauser C, Zgraggen K, et al. Expression of interleukin-8 gene in inflammatory bowel disease is related to the histopathological grade of active inflammation. Am J Pathol. 1994;144:997–1007.
- Sans M, Panes J, Ardite E, et al. VCAM-1 and ICAM-1 mediate leukocyte-endothelial cell adhesion in rat experimental colitis. Gastroenterology. 1999;116:874–883. doi:10.1016/S0016-5085(99)70070-3. CrossRef
- Down-regulation of Protein and mRNA Expression of IL-8 and ICAM-1 in Colon Tissue of Ulcerative Colitis Patients by Partition-Herb Moxibustion
Digestive Diseases and Sciences
Volume 54, Issue 10 , pp 2198-2206
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Ulcerative colitis
- Partition-herb moxibustion
- Gene expression
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Shanghai Institute of Acupuncture-Moxibustion and Meridians, 650 South WanPing Road, Shanghai, 200030, People’s Republic of China
- 2. Acupuncture Department, Xiamen Hosptial of T.C.M, Xiamen, 361001, People’s Republic of China
- 3. Cancer Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, 200032, People’s Republic of China