The Evaluation of Premenopausal Women with Anemia: What Is the Yield of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Anemia is not uncommon in premenopausal women. The purpose of this study was to determine the yield of endoscopy in premenopausal women with anemia. We identified and reviewed the medical records of 168 premenopausal women who underwent upper endoscopy and/or colonoscopy for the indication of iron deficiency anemia (IDA) during the years 1996 through 2005. Of the 168 patients, 100 (59.5%) underwent upper endoscopy and 155 (92.3%) underwent colonoscopy. Eighty-seven (51.8%) patients underwent both procedures. The mean age was 43.1 ± 5.8 years. The mean hemoglobin was 10.2 ± 1.3 g/dl. Upper gastrointestinal (GI) lesions potentially causative for anemia were found in 7 of 100 patients who underwent upper endoscopy (7%). Significant lower GI lesions were found in 6 of 155 (3.9%) of those who had a colonoscopy. Our data suggest that both upper endoscopy and colonoscopy were useful in the detection of significant gastrointestinal lesions in premenopausal women with anemia.
- Looker AC, Dallman PR, Carroll MD, et al. Prevalence of iron deficiency anemia in the United States. JAMA. 1997;277:973–976. doi:10.1001/jama.277.12.973. CrossRef
- Green BT, Rockey DC. Gastrointestinal endoscopic evaluation of premenopausal women with iron deficiency anemia. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2004;38:104–109. doi:10.1097/00004836-200402000-00004. CrossRef
- Todd T, Caroe T. Newly diagnosed iron deficiency anemia in premenopausal women. BMJ. 2007;334:259–261. doi:10.1136/bmj.39003.602338.94. CrossRef
- Park DI, Ryu SH, Oh SJ, et al. Significance of endoscopy in asymptomatic premenopausal women with iron deficiency anemia. Dig Dis Sci. 2006;51:2372–2376. doi:10.1007/s10620-005-9069-x. CrossRef
- Ioannou GN, Rockey DC, Bryson CL, Weiss NS. Iron deficiency and gastrointestinal malignancy: a population-based cohort study. Am J Med. 2002;113:276–280. doi:10.1016/S0002-9343(02)01214-7. CrossRef
- Kepcyzyk T, Cremins JE, Long BD, et al. A prospective, multidisciplinary evaluation of premenopausal women with iron deficiency anemia. Am J Gastroenterol. 1999;94:109–115. doi:10.1111/j.1572-0241.1999.00780.x. CrossRef
- Annibale B, Capurso G, Chistolini A, et al. Gastrointestinal causes of refractory iron deficiency anemia in patients without gastrointestinal symptoms. Am J Med. 2001;111:439–445. doi:10.1016/S0002-9343(01)00883-X. CrossRef
- Rockey DC, Cello JP. Evaluation of the gastrointestinal tract in patients with iron deficiency anemia. N Engl J Med. 1993;329:1691–1695. doi:10.1056/NEJM199312023292303. CrossRef
- Annibale B, Lahner A, Chistolini C, et al. Endoscopic evaluation of the upper gastrointestinal tract is worthwhile in premenopausal women with iron-deficiency anemia irrespective of menstrual flow. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2003;3:239–245.
- Unsworth DJ, Lock RJ, Harvey RF. Improving the diagnosis of celiac disease in anemic women. Br J Haematol. 2000;111:898–901. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2141.2000.02451.x. CrossRef
- Corazza GR, Valentini RA, Andreani ML, et al. Subclinical celiac disease is a frequent cause of iron deficiency anemia. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1995;30:153–156. doi:10.3109/00365529509093254. CrossRef
- Bini EJ, Micale PL, Weinshel EH. Evaluation of the gastrointestinal tract in premenopausal women with iron deficiency anemia. Am J Med. 1998;105:281–286. doi:10.1016/S0002-9343(98)00260-5. CrossRef
- Gordon SR, Smith RE, Power GC. The role of endoscopy in the evaluation of iron deficiency anemia in patients over the age of 50. Am J Gastroenterol. 1994;89:1963–1967.
- Capurso G, Baccini F, Osborn J, et al. Can patient characteristics predict the outcome of endoscopic evaluation of iron deficiency anemia: a multiple logistic regression analysis. Gastrointest Endosc. 2004;59:766–771. doi:10.1016/S0016-5107(04)00348-7. CrossRef
- The Evaluation of Premenopausal Women with Anemia: What Is the Yield of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy?
Digestive Diseases and Sciences
Volume 54, Issue 8 , pp 1667-1671
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Iron deficiency anemia
- Premenopausal women
- Industry Sectors