A View Based Analysis on Web Service Registries
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Web services registries are a cornerstone for the emerging service-oriented architecture and constitute a critical resource for Web services. We systematically illustrate and evaluate current registries and compare different approaches regarding their architectures and data models in the context of two views: the human and Web service based views. We use these views to show the different requirements and to illustrate the different abstractions when comparing Web service registries. The human view on Web service registry architectures is illustrated with the help of a case study. The Web service view on Web services registry architectures is illustrated from a software-service point of view. The data model of Web service registries is described in detail from a machine based view. The corresponding human view is described from an abstract level. Web service publishing and discovery are compared from a human and a Web service based view. Finally, we present a working example that uses our methodology to compare different Web service registries and to explain the different views introduced in this paper.
- K. Ballinger, P. Brittenham, A. Malhotra, W.A. Nagy, and S. Pharies, Web services Inspection Language (WS-Inspection) 1.0. IBM, Microsoft, 2001.
- B. Benatallah, M. Dumas, Q.Z. Sheng, and A.H.H. Ngu, “Declarative composition and peer-to-peer Provisioning of dynamic web services”, in Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE'02), IEEE Computer Society, 2002.
- B. Benatallah, M. Dumas, and Q.Z. Sheng, “Faciliating the rapid development and scalable orchestration of composite Web services”, Distributed and Parallel Databases, vol 17, pp 5–37, 2005. CrossRef
- Business Process Specification Schema. http://www.ebxml.org/specs/ebBPSS.pdf, 2001
- DAML-S Coalition, “DAML-S: Web services description for the semantic Web”, in Proceedings of the International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), 2002.
- C. Doulkeridis, E. Valavanis, and M. Vazirgiannis, “Towards a context-aware services directory”, in Proceedings of the 4th VLDB Workshop on Technologies for E-Services (TES '03), 2003.
- ebXML Collaboration-Protocol Profile and Agreement Specification. http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ebxml-cppa/documents/ebcpp-2.0.pdf, 2002
- ebXML registering a Web services within a ebXML registry. http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/1636/OASIS-registry%20TC%20-%20Registering%20Web%20services%20in%20an%20ebXML%20registry.doc. 2003.
- Hypertext Transfer Protocol — HTTP/1.1. IETF RFC 2616. UC Irvine, Digital Equipment Corporation, MIT, 1999.
- W. Nejdl, B. Wolf, C. Qu, S. Decker, M. Sintek, A. Naeve, M. Nilsson, M. Palmer, and T. Risch, “EDUTELLA: A P2P networking infrastructure based on RDF”, Proceedings of the Eleventh International Conference on World Wide Web, 2002.
- OASIS/ebXML registry Information Model v2.0. http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/regrep/documents/2.0/specs/ebRIM.pdf, 2001.
- OASIS/ebXML Technical Architecture Specification. http://www.ebxml.org/specs/ebTA.pdf, 2001.
- OASIS/ebXML registry services Specification v2.5. http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/regrep/documents/2.5/specs/ebrs-2.5.pdf, 2003.
- M. Paolucci, T. Kawamura, T.R. Payne, and K. Sycara, In Web Services, E-Business and Semantic Web Workshop, 2002, To Appear
- M.P. Papazoglou, B.J. Krämer, and J. Yang, “Leveraging Web-services and Peer-to-Peer Networks”, in Proceedings of the 15th Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering (CAiSE '03), 2003.
- C. Schmidt, and M. Parashar, “A peer-to-peer approach to Web services discovery”, in Proceedings of the 2003 International Conference on Web Service (ICWS '03), 2003.
- Q.Z. Sheng, B. Benatallah, Y.Q. Zhu, R. Stephan, and E.O-Y. Mak, “Discovering E-services Using UDDI in SELF-SERV”, in Proceedings of International Conference on e-Business (ICEB2002), 2002.
- Y. Stavrakas and M. Gergatsoulis, “Multidimensional semistructured data: Representing context-dependent information on the Web”, In Proc. of the 14th Int. Conf. on Advanced Information Systems Engineering (CAISE'02), Toronto, Canada, 2002.
- I. Stoica, R. Morris, D. Karger, M.F. Kaashoek, and H. Balakrishnan, “Chord:A scalable peer-to-peer lookup services for internet applications”, in Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM’01, 2001.
- The Web Service Discovery Architecture. Wolfgang Hoschek, in Proc. of the Int'l. IEEE/ACM Supercomputing Conference (SC 2002), IEEE Computer Society Press, November 2002.
- A. Tsalgatidou and T. Pilioura, “An overview of standards and related technology in Web services”, Distributed and Parallel Databases, vol 12, pp 135–162, 2002. Kluwer Academic Publishers. 2002 CrossRef
- UDDI Version 2.03 Data Structure Reference. http://uddi.org/pubs/DataStructure_v2.htm, 2002.
- UDDI Version 3.0.1 http://uddi.org/pubs/uddi_v3.htm, 2003.
- Universal Description, Discovery and Integration: UDDI Technical White paper. http://www.uddi.org/pubs/Iru_UDDI_Technical_White_Paper.pdf, 2000.
- Using WSDL in a UDDI registry, Version 2.0 http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/uddi-spec/doc/tn/uddi-spec-tc-tn-wsdl-v200-20030627.htm, 2003.
- K. Verma, K. Sivashanmugam, A. Sheth, A. Patil, S. Oundhakar, and J. Miller, “METEOR-S WSDI: A scalable P2P infrastructure of registries for semantic publication and discovery of Web services”, Journal of Information Technology and Management, 2004.
- W3C. XML Extensible Markup Language. http://www.w3c.org/XML, 2000.
- W3C, WSDL, Web services Description Language. http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-wsdl12-20020709/, 2002.
- W3C, SOAP Version 1.2 Part 0: Primer. http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-soap12-part0-20030624/, 2003.
- W3C. XQuery 1.0: An XML Query Language. http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xquery-20031112/, 2003.
- W3C, Web Services Architecture. W3C Working Group Note 11 February 2004. http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-arch-20040211/, 2004.
- W3C, Web Services Architecture Requirements. W3C Working Group Note 11 February 2004. http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-arch-20040211/, 2004
- Wolfgang Hoschek. Peer-to-Peer Grid Databases for Web service Discovery. CERN IT Division, 2002.
- A View Based Analysis on Web Service Registries
Distributed and Parallel Databases
Volume 18, Issue 2 , pp 147-171
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Web service registries
- service-oriented architecture
- Industry Sectors