Commentary on Empirical Examinations of the Association Between Anxiety and Eating Disorders
- Pamela K. Keel
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A substantial body of research supports comorbidity between eating and anxiety disorders, and articles in this special section explore the nature of this association using several different research designs. This commentary reviews findings from these articles, focusing on inferences that may be drawn from each design. Collectively, articles support the need for future studies to examine whether eating and anxiety disorders share underlying mechanisms. If identified, such mechanisms could create opportunities for transdiagnostic interventions that ameliorate suffering from both eating and anxiety disorders.
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental—fourth edition/text revision. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC CrossRef
- Bardone-Cone, A. M., Brownstone, L. M., Higgins, M. K., Fitzsimmons-Craft, E. E., & Harney, M. B. (2013). Anxiety, appearance contingent self-worth, and appearance conversations with friends in relation to disordered eating: Examining moderator models. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-013-9520-9.
- DeBoer, L., Medina, J., Davis, M., Presnell, K., Powers, M., & Smiths, J. A. J. (2013). Associations between fear of negative evaluation and eating pathology during intervention and 12-month follow-up. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-013-9547-y.
- Egan, S. J., Watson, H. J., Kane, R. T., McEvoy, P., Fursland, A., & Nathan, P. R. (2013). Anxiety as a mediator between perfectionism and eating disorders. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-012-9516-x.
- Fink, E., Bodell, L., Smith, A., & Joiner, T. (2013). The joint influence of disordered eating and anxiety sensitivity on the acquired capability for suicide. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-012-9502-3.
- Goddard, E., & Treasure, J. (2013). Anxiety and social-emotional processing in eating disorders: An examination of family trios. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-013-9535-2.
- Hearon, B. A., Utschig, A. C., Smits, J. A. J., Moshier, S. J., & Otto, M. W. (2013). The role of anxiety sensitivity and eating expectancy in maladaptive eating behaviors. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-012-9491-2.
- Heatherton, TF, Baumeister, RF (1991) Binge eating as an escape from self-awareness. Psychological Bulletin 110: pp. 86-108 CrossRef
- Keel, PK, Forney, KJ (2013) Psychosocial risk factors for eating disorders. International Journal of Eating Disorders 46: pp. 433-439 CrossRef
- Keel, PK, Klump, KL, Miller, KB, McGue, M, Iacono, WG (2005) Shared transmission of eating disorders and anxiety disorders. International Journal of Eating Disorders 38: pp. 99-105 CrossRef
- Menatti, A. R., Weeks, J. W., Levinson, C. A., & McGowan, M. M. (2013). Exploring the relationship between social anxiety and bulimic symptoms: Mediational effects of perfectionism among females. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-013-9521-8.
- Taborelli, E., Krug, I., Karwautz, A., Wagner, G., Haidvogl, M., Fernandez-Aranda, F., Castro, R., Jiménez-Murciad, S., Anderluh, M., Collier, D., Treasure, J., & Micali, N. (2013). Maternal anxiety, overprotection and anxious personality as risk factors for eating disorder: A sister pair study. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-012-9518-8.
- Trace, SE, Baker, JH, Peñas-Lledó, E, Bulik, CM (2013) The genetics of eating disorders. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology 9: pp. 589-620 CrossRef
- Commentary on Empirical Examinations of the Association Between Anxiety and Eating Disorders
Cognitive Therapy and Research
Volume 37, Issue 5 , pp 964-967
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Eating disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Study design
- Industry Sectors
- Pamela K. Keel (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, 32306, USA