Computer-Based Intervention for Anxious and Depressive Symptoms in a Non-Clinical Population
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This research was designed to examine the efficacy of a brief cognitive-behavioral psychoeducation model as an intervention for depressive and anxious symptoms, based on the Cognitive-Behavioral Analysis System of Psychotherapy (CBASP). One hundred fifty two participants were randomly assigned to the control and prevention groups. These participants completed symptom ratings of depression and anxiety at baseline, and again eight weeks later. Multivariate Analysis of Covariance (MANCOVA) revealed a significant effect of group, with the intervention group showing lower symptom scores at the follow-up session. The implications of this study include the development of the CBASP method as a computer-based prevention and intervention strategy.
- American Psychological Association (1992). Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct. American Psychologist, 47, 1597–1611. CrossRef
- Beardslee, W. R., & Gladstone, T. R. G. (2001). Prevention of childhood depression: Recent findings and future prospects. Biological Psychiatry, 49, 1101–1110. CrossRef
- Beardslee, W. R., Versage, E. M., Wright, E. J., & Salt, P. (1997). Examination of preventive intervention programs for families with depression: Evidence of change. Development & Psychopathology, 9, 109–130. CrossRef
- Beck, A. T., & Steer, R. A. (1993). Manual for the Beck anxiety inventory. San Antonio, Texas: Psychological Corporation.
- Beck, A. T., & Steer, R. A. (1987). Manual for the revised Beck depression inventory. San Anotonio: Psychological Corporation.
- Clarke, G. N., Hawkins, W., Murphy, M., & Sheeber, L. B. (1995). Targeted prevention of unipolar depressive disorder in an at-risk sample of high school adolescents: A randomized trial of group cognitive intervention. Journal of the Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 34, 312–321. CrossRef
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers.
- Cuijpers, P., & Smit, F. (2002). Excess mortality in depression: A meta-analysis of community samples. Journal of Affective Disorders, 72, 227–236. CrossRef
- Cukrowicz, K. C., & Joiner, T. E. Jr. (2005). Treating the “mischances of character,” simply and effectively. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy, 35(2), 157–168.
- Cukrowicz, K. C., Burns, A. B., Minnix, J. A., Reitzel, L R., & Joiner, T. E. Jr. (2005). Simple treatment for complex problems: A workbook. Tallahassee, FL: Center Circle Press.
- Donovan, C. L., & Spence, S. H. (2000). Prevention of childhood anxiety disorders. Clinical Psychology Review, 20, 509–531. CrossRef
- Driscoll, K. A., Cukrowicz, K. C., Reardon, M. L., & Joiner, T. J. (2004). Simple treatment for complex problems: A flexible approach to psychological difficulties and disorders. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Dubow, E. F., Schmidt, D., McBride, J., & Edwards, S. (1993). Teaching children to cope with stressful experiences: Initial implementation and evaluation of a primary prevention program. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 22, 428–440. CrossRef
- Jacobson, N. S., & Truax, P. (1991). Clinical significance: A statistical approach to defining meaningful change in psychotherapy research. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 59, 12–19. CrossRef
- Jaycox, L. H., Reivich, K. J., Gillham, J., & Seligman, M. E.P. (1994). Prevention of depressive symptoms in school children. Behaviour Research & Therapy, 32, 801–816. . CrossRef
- Keller, M. B., McCullough, J. P., Klein, D. N., Arnow, B., Dunner, D. L., Gelenberg, A. J., Markowitz, J. C. et al. (2000). A comparison of nefazodone, the cognitive-behavioral analysis system of psychotherapy, and their combination for the treatment of chronic depression. New England Journal of Medicine, 342, 1462–1470. CrossRef
- Kenardy, J. A., Dow, M. G. T., Johnston, D. W., Newman, M. G., Thomson, A., & Taylor, C. B. (2003). A comparison of delivery methods of cognitive-behavioral therapy for panic disorder: An international, multi-center trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 71, 1068–1075. CrossRef
- Kessler, R. C., McGonagle, K. A., Zhao, S., & Nelson, C. B. (1994). Lifetime and 12-month prevalence of DSM-III-R psychiatric disorders in the United States: Results from the National Comorbidity Study. Archives of General Psychiatry, 51, 8–19.
- Klein, D. N., Schatzberg, A. F., McCullough, J. P., Dowling, F., Goodman, D., Howland, R. H. et al. (1999). Age of onset in chronic major depression: Relation to demographic and clinical variables, family history, and treatment response. Journal of Affective Disorders, 55, 149–157. CrossRef
- Klein, D. N., Santiago, N. J., Vivian, D., Blalock, J. A., Kocsis, J. H., & Markowitz, J. C. (2004). Cognitive-behavioral analysis system of psychotherapy as a maintenance treatment for chronic depression. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 72, 681–688. CrossRef
- Kubzansky, L. D., Kawachi, I., Spiro, A., Weiss, S. T., Vokonas, P. S., & Sparrow, D. (1997). Is worrying bad for your heart? A prospective study of worry and coronary heart disease in the Normative Aging Study. Circulation, 95, 818–824.
- Lewinsohn, P. M., Clarke, G. N., Sealey, J. R., & Rohde, P. (1994a). Major depression in community adolescents: Age of onset, episode duration, and time to recurrence. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 33, 809–818. CrossRef
- Lewinsohn, P. M., Roberts, R. E., Sealey, J. R., & Rohde, P. (1994b). Adolescent psychopathology: II. Psychosocial risk factors for depression. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 103, 302–315. CrossRef
- McCullough, J. P. (1984). Cognitive-behavioral analysis system of psychotherapy: An interactional treatment approach for dysthymic disorder. Psychiatry, 47, 234–250.
- McCullough, J. P. (1991). Psychotherapy for dysthymia: A naturalistic study of ten patients. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disorders, 179, 734–740. CrossRef
- McCullough, J. P. (2000). Treatment for chronic depression: Cognitive behavioral analysis system of psychotherapy. New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- McCullough, J. P. (2003). Treatment for chronic depression: Cognitive behavioral analysis system of psychotherapy (CBASP). Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 13, 241–263. CrossRef
- Munoz, R. F., Ying, Y., Bernal, G., Perez-Stable, E. J., Sorensen, J. L., Hargreaves, W. A. et al. (1995). Prevention of depression with primary care patients: A randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Community Psychology, 23, 199–222. CrossRef
- Newman, M. G. (2002). The clinical use of palmtop computers in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 6, 222–234. CrossRef
- Newman, M. G., Consoli, A. J., & Taylor, C. B. (1997). Computers in the assessment and cognitive behavioral treatment of clinical disorders: Anxiety as a case in point. Behavior Therapy, 28, 211–235. CrossRef
- Newman, M. G., Consoli, A. J., & Taylor, C. B. (1999). A palmtop computer program for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder. Behavior Modification, 23, 597–619. CrossRef
- Newman, M. G., Kenardy, J., Herman, S., & Taylor, C. B. (1997). Comparison of palmtop-computer-assisted brief cognitive-behavioral treatment to cognitive-behavioral treatment for panic disorder. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 65, 178–183. CrossRef
- Nezu, A. M., & Ronan, G. F. (1985). Life stress, current problems, problem solving, and depressive symptoms: An integrative model. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 53, 693–697. CrossRef
- Price, R. H., van Ryn, M., & Vinokur, A. D. (1992). Impact of a preventive job search intervention on the likelihood of depression among the unemployed. Journal of Health & Social Behavior, 33, 158–167. CrossRef
- Przeworski, A., & Newman, M. G. (2004). Palmtop computer-assisted group therapy for social phobia. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 60, 179–188. CrossRef
- Riso, L. P., McCullough, J. P., & Blandino, J. (2003). Focus on empirically supported methods: The cognitive behavioral analysis system of psychotherapy: A promising treatment for clinical depression. Scientific Review of Mental Health Practice, 2, 61–68.
- Sanderson, W. C., Beck, A. T., & Beck, J. (1990). Syndrome comorbidity in patients with major depression or dysthymia: Prevalence and temporal relationship. American Journal of Psychiatry, 147, 1025–1028.
- Schatzberg, A. F., Rush, J. A., Arnow, B. A., Phillip, L. C., Blalock, J. A., Barian, F. E. et al. (2005). Chronic Depression: Medication (Nefazodone) or osychotherapy (CBASP) is effective when the other is not. Archives of General Psychiatry, 62, 513–520. CrossRef
- Schmidt, N. B, & Vasey, M. (2000). Primary prevention of psychopathology in a high risk youth population. In D. Roth (Ed.), New research in mental health, (Vol. 14, pp. 267–270). Columbus, OH: Ohio Department of Mental Health.
- Schmidt, N. B, & Vasey, M. (2002). Primary prevention of psychopathology in a high risk youth population. In D. Roth (Eds.), New research in mental health, (Vol. 15, pp. 203–209). Columbus, OH: Ohio Department of Mental Health.
- Seligman, M. E. P., Schulman, P., DeRubeis, R. J., & Hollon, S. D. (1999). The prevention of depression and anxiety. Prevention and Treatment, (Vol. 2), p np.
- Sonntag, H., Wittchen, H. U., Höfler, M., Kessler, R. C., & Stein, M. B. (2000). Are social fears and DSM-IV social anxiety disorder associated with smoking and nicotine dependence in adolescents and young adults? . European Psychiatry, 15, 67–74. CrossRef
- Speilberger, C. D. (1983). Self-evaluation questionnaire, STAI form-Y. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press.
- Tabachnick, B. G., & Fidell, L. S. (1996). Using multivariate statistics (3rd ed.). New York, NY: Harper Collins College Publishers.
- Watson, D. A., Clark, L. A., & Tellegen, A. (1988). Development and validation of brief measures of positive and negative affect: The PANAS scales. Journal of Personality & Social Psychology, 54, 1063–1070. CrossRef
- Zorrilla, E. P., Redei, R., & DeRubeis, R. J. (1994). Reduced cytokine levels and T-cell function in healthy males: Relation to individual differences in sub-clinical anxiety. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 8, 293–312. CrossRef
- Computer-Based Intervention for Anxious and Depressive Symptoms in a Non-Clinical Population
Cognitive Therapy and Research
Volume 31, Issue 5 , pp 677-693
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors