A hybrid model for a multiproduct pipeline planning and scheduling problem
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Brazilian petrobras is one of the world largest oil companies. Recurrently, it faces a very difficult planning and scheduling problem: how to operate a large pipeline network in order to adequately transport oil derivatives and biofuels from refineries to local markets. In spite of being more economical and environmentally safer, the use of a complex pipeline network poses serious operational difficulties related to resource allocation and temporal constraints. The current approaches known from the literature only consider a few types of constraints and restricted topologies, hence they are far from being applicable to real instances from petrobras. We propose a hybrid framework based on a two-phase problem decomposition strategy. A novel Constraint Programming (CP) model plays a key role in modelling operational constraints that are usually overlooked in literature, but that are essential in order to guarantee viable solutions. The full strategy was implemented and produced very adequate results when tested over large real instances.
- 5th International Planning Competition (2006). http://zeus.ing.unibs.it/ipc-5/.
- Alves, V., & Filho, V. J. (2007). Pipeline scheduling of petroleum derivatives using genetic algorithm. In IV Congresso Brasileiro de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento em Petróleo e Gás. Campinas, Brazil.
- Cafaro, DC, Cerdá, J (2004) Optimal scheduling of multiproduct pipeline systems using a non-discrete MILP formulation. Computers & Chemical Engineering 28: pp. 2053-2058 CrossRef
- Camponogara, E. (1995). A-Teams para um problema de transporte de derivados de petróleo. Master’s thesis, Instituto de Matemática, Estatística e Ciência da Computação, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, Brazil. In Portuguese.
- Camponogara, E., & Souza, P. S. (1996). A-Teams for oil transportation problem through pipelines. In Information systems analysis and synthesis. Orlando, United States.
- Cheng, BMW, Choi, KMF, Lee, JHM, Wu, JCK (1999) Increasing constraint propagation by redundant modeling: An experience report. Constraints 4: pp. 167-192 CrossRef
- Crane, D. S., Wainwright, R. L., & Schoenefeld, D. A. (1999). Scheduling of multi-product fungible liquid pipelines using genetic algorithms. In Proceedings of the 1999 ACM symposium on applied computing (pp. 280–285). San Antonio, USA.
- de la Cruz, J., Andrés-Toro, B., Herrán-González, A., Porta, E. B., & Blanco, P.F. (2003). Multiobjective optimization of the transport in oil pipelines networks. In Proceedings of the IEEE conference on emerging technologies and factory automation (Vol. 1, pp. 566–573).
- Cruz, J, Herrán-González, A, Risco-Martín, J, Andrés-Toro, B (2005) Hybrid heuristic and mathematical programming in oil pipelines networks: Use of immigrants. Journal of Zhejiang University Science 6A: pp. 9-19 CrossRef
- Filho, E. M. S., Filho, V. J., & de Lima, L. S. (2007). Variable neighborhood search (VNS) applied to pipeline distribution problem with capacity constraints. In IV Congresso Brasileiro de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento em Petróleo e Gás. Campinas, Brazil.
- Group, AE (2001) How pipelines make the oil market work—their networks, operation and regulation. Association of Oil Pipe Lines, New York
- Hooker, JN (2006) Integrated methods for optimization (International series in operations research & management science). Springer, Secaucus
- ILOG (2006). ILOG scheduler 6.2: User’s manual. ILOG.
- Kautz, H., Horvitz, E., Ruan, Y., Gomes, C., & Selman, B. (2002). Dynamic restarts policies. In Proceedings of the AAAI-2002. Edmonton, Alberta.
- Magatao, L, Arruda, L, Neves, F (2004) A mixed integer programming approach for scheduling commodities in a pipeline. Computers & Chemical Engineering 28: pp. 171-185 CrossRef
- Magatao, L, Arruda, L, Neves, F (2005) Using CLP and MILP for scheduling commodities in a pipeline. Computer-Aided Chemical Engineering 20B: pp. 1027-1032 CrossRef
- Marriot, K, Stuckey, P (1998) Programming with constraints: An introduction. MIT, Cambridge
- Milidíu, R., & dos Santos Liporace, F. (2003). Planning of pipeline oil transportation with interface restrictions is a difficult problem. Tech. rep. 56, Departamento de Informática, PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil.
- Milidíu, R., dos Santos Liporace, F., & de Lucena, C. J. P. (2003). Pipesworld: Planning pipeline transportation of petroleum derivatives. In Proceedings of ICAPS’03—Workshop on the competition: Impact, organization, evaluation, benchmarks. Trento, Italy.
- Milidiú, RL, Pessoa, AA, Laber, ES (2002) Pipeline transportation of petroleum products with no due dates. LATIN ’02: Proc. of the 5th Latin American symposium on theoretical informatics. Springer, London, pp. 248-262 CrossRef
- Milidiú, RL, Pessoa, AA, Laber, ES (2003) The complexity of makespan minimization for pipeline transportation. Theoretical Computer Science 306: pp. 339-351 CrossRef
- Moura, A., de Souza, C., Cire, A., & Lopes, T. (2008). Heuristics and constraint programming hybridizations for a real pipeline planning and scheduling problem. In Proceedings of the 11th IEEE international conference on computational science and engineering—CSE’08 (pp. 455–462).
- Moura, A., de Souza, C., Cire, A., & Lopes, T. (2008). Planning and scheduling the operation of a very large oil pipeline network. In Lecture notes in computer science—proceedings of the 14th international conference on principles and practice of constraint programming (Vol. 5202, pp. 36–51).
- Rejowski, R, Pinto, JM (2003) Scheduling of a multiproduct pipeline system. Computers & Chemical Engineering 27: pp. 1229-1246 CrossRef
- Rejowski, R, Pinto, JM (2004) Efficient MILP formulations and valid cuts for multiproduct pipeline scheduling. Computers & Chemical Engineering 28: pp. 1511-1528
- Rejowski, R, Pinto, JM (2008) A novel continuous time representation for the scheduling of pipeline systems with pumping yield rate constraints. Computers & Chemical Engineering 32: pp. 1042-1066 CrossRef
- Relvas, S., Barbosa-Póvoa, A. P. F. D., Matos, H. A., Fialho, J., & Pinheiro, A. S. (2006). Pipeline scheduling and distribution centre management—A real-world scenario at CLC. In Proceedings of the 16th European symposium on computer aided process engineering and 9th international symposium on process systems engineering (pp. 2135–2140). Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.
- Relvas, S, Matos, HA, Barbosa-Póvoa, APFD, Fialho, J, Pinheiro, AS (2006) Pipeline scheduling and inventory management of a multiproduct distribution oil system. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 45: pp. 7841-7855 CrossRef
- Relvas, S, Matos, HA, Barbosa-Póvoa, APFD, Fialho, J (2007) Reactive scheduling framework for a multiproduct pipeline with inventory management. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 46: pp. 5659-5672 CrossRef
- Sasikumar, M, Prakash, PR, Patil, SM, Ramani, S (1997) Pipes: A heuristic search model for pipeline schedule generation. Knowledge-Based Systems 10: pp. 169-175 CrossRef
- Wilson, R (2001) Transportation in America. Eno Transportation Foundation, Washington, D.C.
- A hybrid model for a multiproduct pipeline planning and scheduling problem
Volume 15, Issue 2 , pp 151-189
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Oil pipeline