Steroidal sapogenins from Polygonatum polyanthemum and P. glaberrimum
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In continuation of studies of plants of the genus Polygonatum (Convallariaceae), we studied the composition of steroidal sapogenins in rhizomes of the two species P. polyanthemum (Bieb.) A. Dietr and P. glaberrimum C. Koch . Raw material was collected in May-June in Georgia (Kojori, Saguramo).
Sapogenins were isolated by hydrolysis of saponins directly in the raw material  (400 g for each plant). Extracts were combined. Solvents were distilled off to afford total sapogenins from P. glaberrimum (5.68 g, 1.42%) and P. polyanthemum (6.12 g, 1.53%).
TLC of total sapogenins on Silufol plates (CHCl3:MeOH, 15:1) detected four compounds for P. glaberrimum and five for P. polyanthemum. Total sapogenins were separated by preparative chromatography over a column of Al2O3 with elution using successively benzene, benzene:MeOH (in various proportions), and MeOH. Combined and condensed fractions containing pure compounds afforded crystals of the genins that were isolated by filtration and recryst ...
- R. Gagnidze, Vascular Plants of Georgia. A Nomenclatural Checklist, Universal, Tbilisi, 2005, p. 248.
- L. S. Chetverikova and O. S. Madaeva, Med. Promst. USSR, 8, 28 (1958).
- W. Karrer, Konstitution und Vorkommen der Organischen Pflanzenstoffe, Birkhauser, Basel, Stuttgart, 1958, p. 863.
- K. Tori, S. Seo, Y. Terui, J. Nishikawa, and F. Yasuda, Tetrahedron Lett., 2405 (1981).
- M. E. Wall, C. R. Eddy, M. L. McClennan, and M. E. Klump, Anal. Chem., 24, 1337 (1952). CrossRef
- P. K. Agrawal, P. Bunsawansong, and G. A. Morris, Phytochemistry, 47, 255 (1998). CrossRef
- Forschritte der Chemie Organischer Naturstoffe; Chemie und Biologie der Saponine, Springer-Verlag, Vienna, New York, 1973, p. 30.
- G. J. Bird, D. J. Collins, F. W. Eastwood, R. H. Exner, M. L. Romanelli, and D. D. Small, Aust. J. Chem., 32 (4), 783 (1979). CrossRef
- F. H. Marquardt, Chem. Ind. (London), 94 (1978).
- O. Espeji, K. Llavot, H. Jung, and F. Gital, Phytochemistry, 21, 413 (1982). CrossRef
- Steroidal sapogenins from Polygonatum polyanthemum and P. glaberrimum
Chemistry of Natural Compounds
Volume 48, Issue 5 , pp 917-918
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors