Antioxidant potential of Juglans regia bark: quantification of seven phenolic compounds by RP-HPLC
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Walnut (Juglans regia L., Juglandaceae) is traditionally used for the treatment of various common ailments including tuberculosis, tuberculosis of the cervical glands, and cancer [1, 2]. The bark of J. regia contains juglone along with numerous bioactive polyphenols [3, 4]. Although there have been many reports on several biological activities of J. regia bark [2–5], there has been only one report on its antioxidant activity .
The objectives of this work were to determine the antioxidant potential and bioactive compounds of the methanol extract (MOH) and its fractions obtained by partitioning from J. regia bark with hexane (HEX), chloroform (CHL), ethyl acetate (EA), and butanol (BU), and the water-insoluble part (INS).
Methanol is able to extract out a significant amount of compounds (11.36%) from the walnut bark. The yields of fractions were: EA-3.18, BU-1.87, CHL-0.21, and HEX-0.11%, suggesting that ethyl acetate is a more effective solvent for fractionation. Some phenolic compound ...
- R. Haque, B. Bin-Hafeez, S. Parvez, S. Pandey, I. Sayeed, M. Ali, and S. Raisuddin, Hum. Exp. Toxicol., 22, 473 (2003). CrossRef
- D. E. Cruz-Vega, M. J. Verde-Star, N. Salinas-Gonzalez, B. Rosales-Hernandez, I. Estrada-Garcia, P. Mendez-Aragon,
- P. Carranza-Rosales, M. T. Gonzalez-Garza, and J. Castro-Garza, Phytother. Res., 22, 557 (2008). CrossRef
- K. Bhatia, S. Rahman, M. Ali, and S. Raisuddin, Redox Rep., 11, 273 (2006). CrossRef
- N. Sharma, P. Ghosh, U. K. Sharma, S. Sood, A. Gulati, and A. K. Sinha, Anal. Lett., 42, 2592 (2009). CrossRef
- A. M. Alkhawajah, Am. J. Chin. Med., 25, 175 (1997). CrossRef
- V. L. Singleton, R. Orthofer, and R. S. Lamuela-Raventos, Methods in Enzymology, Academic Press, San Diego, 1999, 152 pp.
- D. O. Labuckas, D. M. Maestri, M. Perello, M. L. Martinez, and A. L. Lamarque, Food Chem., 107, 607 (2008). CrossRef
- W. Brand-Williams, M. E. Cuvelier, and C. Berset, Food Sci. Technol., 28, 25 (1995).
- R. Re, N. Pellegrinni, A. Proteggente, A. Pannala, M. Yang, and C. Rice-Evans, Free Radic. Biol. Med., 26, 1231 (1999). CrossRef
- M. Oyaizu, Jpn. J. Nutr., 4, 307 (1986). CrossRef
- Antioxidant potential of Juglans regia bark: quantification of seven phenolic compounds by RP-HPLC
Chemistry of Natural Compounds
Volume 48, Issue 5 , pp 881-882
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors