Fatty acid composition of Prosopis cineraria seeds
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The genus Prosopis belongs to the family Fabaceae, subfamily Mimosaceae and comprises 44 species distributed mainly in arid and semi-arid, tropical, and subtropical countries . In many desert regions of the world the seeds of Prosopis species have been proposed as a source for agro-industrial development of economic foods for humans and animals [2, 3]. Furthermore, the seeds and pods have been used in traditional medicine for treating a broad range of diseases and illness [4, 5]. Sugars, flavonones, fatty acids, tannins from the heartwood , flavones, glycoside patulitrin from flowers , and piperidine3-ol alkaloid  were previously reported.
In continuation of our previous studies on various seed oils and the identification of hydroxy fatty acids , a study of seed oils of P. cineraria has been carried out for their component fatty acids and to confirm the presence or absence of hydroxy fatty acid in this seed oil.
The analytical values of oil and seeds (Table 1) were determi ...
- Burkat, A (1976) J. Arn. Arb. 57: pp. 219
- Beri, RM, Dodhal, PC, Ayyar, KS (1982) Indian Forester 108: pp. 669
- Mella, MA, Masson, S (1984) Grasas Aceites 35: pp. 240
- Neuwinger, HD (1993) Afrikanische Arzneipflanzen und Jagdgifte. WVG, Stuttgart
- Duke, JA (1986) CRC Handbook of Medicinal Herbs. Library of Congress/CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL
- C. S. I. R. (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research) New Delhi, The Wealth of India. Vol. VIII, 1969, p. 247–249.
- Jewers, K, Nagler, MJ, Nirvi, KA, Amir, F (1976) Phytochemistry 15: pp. 238 CrossRef
- Ahmad, MU, Husain, SK, Osman, SM (1981) J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 58: pp. 673 CrossRef
- W. E. Link, Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemist′s Society, Third Ed., AOCS, Champaigh, IL, USA (Methods DA 15–48 and DA 16–48).
- Halphen, G (1897) J. Pharm. Chim. 6: pp. 390
- Davis, EN, Wallen, LL, Rohwedder, JC, Rhodes, RA (1969) Lipids 4: pp. 356 CrossRef
- Fioriti, JA, Sims, RJ (1968) J. Chromatogr. 32: pp. 761 CrossRef
- Vogel, AI (1956) A Text Book of Practical Organic Chemistry. Longmanns, Green and Co, London
- Rudloff, E (1956) Can. J. Chem. 34: pp. 1413 CrossRef
- Kleiman, R, Spencer, GF (1973) J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 50: pp. 28 CrossRef
- Christie, WW (1973) Lipid Analysis. Pergamon Press, New York
- Fatty acid composition of Prosopis cineraria seeds
Chemistry of Natural Compounds
Volume 45, Issue 5 , pp 705-707
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors