Components and antimicrobial activity of Lamium amplexicaule from Algeria
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Few flavonoids have been reported from the genus Lamium (Lamiaceae) [1, 2, 3]. We’ve isolated, for the first time from the species Lamium amplexicaule (L), two flavonoids from the aerial parts and two sterols (β-stigmasterol and γ-sitosterol) from the roots of the plant collected in Algeria.
Tests using the disk diffusion method [4, 5] carried out in petroleum ether, ethyl acetate, butanolic, and roots extracts showed a great antimicrobial activity of the petroleum ether extract against the major microorganisms in the list comprising Pseudomonas aeruginosa ATCC 27853, Escherichia coli ATCC 25922, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Proteus mirabilis, Staphylococcus aureus ATCC 25923, Streptococcus β-hemolytic, Serratia, Enterobacter, and Bacillus subtilis.
Lamium amplexicaule (L) was collected in may 2000 from Djebel El-Ouahch at an altitude of 800 m in Constantine, Algeria. The plant was authentified by Professor M. Kaabeche, Faculty of Sciences, University Ferhat Abbas, Setif. The air-dried aerial ...
- J. B. Harborne, Phytochemistry, 6, 1569 (1967). CrossRef
- P. G. Kritikos and C. Harvala, Plant. Med. Phytother., 4, 39 (1970).
- J. Budzianowski and L. Skrzypczak, Phytochemistry, 38, 997 (1995). CrossRef
- R. Cruickshand, I. P. Duguid, B. P. Marmion, and S. Swain, 12th edition Edinburgh, New York, Churchill Livingston (1975).
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards. Methods for Dilution Antimicrobial Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria that Grow Aerobically. Villanova, PA: Approved Standard M7-A2; NCCLS (1990).
- L. K. Klyshev, V. A. Bandyukova, and L. S. Alyukina, Plant Flavonoids [in Russian], Nauka, Alma-Ata (1978).
- N. Sh. Kattaev and G. K. Nikonov, Khim. Prir. Soedin., 115 (1973).
- T. Akihisa, N. Shimizu, P. Ghosh, S. H. Thakur, F. Rosenstein, T. Tamura, and T. Matsumoto, Phytochemistry, 26, 1693 (1987). CrossRef
- Components and antimicrobial activity of Lamium amplexicaule from Algeria
Chemistry of Natural Compounds
Volume 44, Issue 3 , pp 363-364
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratoire d’Obtention de Substances Therapeutiques (L.O.S.T), Faculte des Sciences, Universite Mentouri-Constantine, Campus Chaabat Ersas, 25000, Constantine, Algerie
- 2. Service de Bacteriologie, CHUC Benbadis, 25000, Constantine, Algerie