Suicidality and Associated Factors in Pregnant Women in Brazil
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Is important to evaluate suicidal potential and related factors during pregnancy among women who have attended public health services. To determine the suicidal potential, question 10 from Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) was used. In this sample (N = 1,334), 8.1% of pregnant women demonstrated suicidal potential. The potential risk factors for suicide in depressed pregnant women were being single, divorced or widowed, thinking about having an abortion, and having anxiety symptoms; in nondepressed pregnant women were lower age, low education level, low socioeconomic class, thoughts about having an abortion and anxiety symptoms.
- Amorim, P (2000) Mini International Neuropsychiatric Interview (MINI): Validation of a short structured diagnostic psychiatric interview. Revista Brasileira de Psiquiatria 22: pp. 106-115 CrossRef
- Associação Brasileira de Empresas de Pesquisa [ABEP]. (2008). Critério de Classificação Econômica Brasil. Available: http://www.abep.org/novo/Content.aspx?ContentID=302.
- Botega, NJ, Bio, MC, Zomignani, MA, Garcia, C, Pereira, WAP (1995) Mood disorders among medical in-patients: A validation study of the hospital anxiety and depression scale (HAD). Revista de Saúde Pública 29: pp. 355-363 CrossRef
- Casey, PR, Dunn, G, Kelly, BD, Birkbeck, G, Dalgard, OS, Lehtinen, V, Britta, S, Ayuso-Mateos, JL, Dowrick, C (2006) Factors associated with suicidal ideation in the general population: Five-centre analysis from the ODIN study. The British Journal of Psychiatry 189: pp. 410-415 CrossRef
- Cunha, JA (2001) Manual da versão em português das Escalas Beck. Casa do Psicólogo, São Paulo, SP
- Freitas, GVS, Botega, NJ (2002) Gravidez na adolescência: prevalência de depressão, ansiedade e ideação suicida. Revista da Associação Médica Brasileira 48: pp. 245-249 CrossRef
- Karmaliani, R., Asad, N., Bann, C. M., Moss, N., Mcclure, E. M., Pasha O., et al. (2009). Prevalence of anxiety, depression and associated factors among pregnant women of Hyderabad, Pakistan. International Journal of Social Psychiatry 55(5):414–424 [Epub 2009 Jul 10].
- Lindahl, V, Pearson, JL, Colpe, L (2005) Prevalence of suicidality during pregnancy and the postpartum. Archives of Women’s Mental Health 8: pp. 77-87 CrossRef
- Manber, R, Blasey, C, Allen, JJB (2008) Depression symptoms during pregnancy. Archives of Women’s Mental Health 11: pp. 43-48 CrossRef
- Ministério da Saúde do Brasil. (2000). High risk pregnancy: Technical manual. Edition 3th, Brasília, DF.
- Nasreen, HE, Kabir, ZN, Forsell, Y, Edhborg, M (2011) Prevalence and associated factors of depressive and anxiety symptoms during pregnancy: A population based study in rural Bangladesh. BMC Womens Health 2: pp. 22 CrossRef
- Newport, DJ, Levey, LC, Pennell, PB, Ragan, K, Stowe, ZN (2007) Suicidal ideation in pregnancy: Assessment and clinical implications. Archives of Women’s Mental Health 10: pp. 181-187 CrossRef
- Norton, PJ, Temple, SR, Pettit, JW (2008) Suicidal ideation and anxiety disorders: Elevated risk or artifact of comorbid depression?. Journal of behavior therapy and experimental psychiatry 39: pp. 515-525 CrossRef
- Pinheiro, RT, Silva, RA, Magalhães, PVS, Horta, BL, Pinheiro, KAT (2008) Two studies on suicidality in the postpartum. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 118: pp. 160-163 CrossRef
- Riordan, DV, Selvaraj, S, Stark, C, Gilbert, JSE (2006) Perinatal circumstances and risk of offspring suicide. The British Journal of Psychiatry 189: pp. 502-507 CrossRef
- Santos, IS, Matijasevich, A, Tavares, BF, Barros, AJD, Botelho, IP, Lapolli, C, Magalhães, PVS, Barbosa, APPN, Barros, FC (2007) Validation of the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) in a sample of mothers from the 2004 Pelotas birth cohort study. Cadernos de Saúde Pública 23: pp. 2577-2588 CrossRef
- Sareen, J, Cox, BJ, Afifi, TO, Graaf, R, Asmundson, GJ, Have, M (2005) Anxiety disorders and risk for suicidal ideation and suicide attempts: A population-based longitudinal study of adults. Archives of General Psychiatry 62: pp. 1249-1257 CrossRef
- Sein Anand, J, Chodorowski, Z, Ciechanowicz, R, Klimaszyk, D, Lukasik-Glebocka, M (2005) Acute suicidal self-poisonings during pregnancy. Przeglad Lekarski 62: pp. 434-435
- Silva, R. A. da, Jansen, K., Souza, L. D. de M., Moraes, I. G. da S., Tomasi, E., Silva, G. Del G. da, et al. (2010). Depression during pregnancy in the Brazilian public health care system. Rev Bras Psiquiatr 32(2):139–144.
- Souza, LDM, Silva, RA, Jansen, K, Kuhn, RP, Horta, BL, Pinheiro, RT (2010) Suicidal ideation in adolescents aged 11 to 15 years: Prevalence and associated factors. Revista Brasileira de Psiquiatria 32: pp. 37-41 CrossRef
- Werlang, B. G., & Botega, N. J. (2004). Comportamento Suicida, Artmed, Porto Alegre, RS.
- Whisman, MA, Davila, J, Goodman, SH (2011) Relationship adjustment, depression, and anxiety during pregnancy and the postpartum period. Journal of Family Psychology 25: pp. 375-383 CrossRef
- Suicidality and Associated Factors in Pregnant Women in Brazil
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 48, Issue 3 , pp 392-395
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Associated factors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Health and Behavior, Catholic University of Pelotas, 1202, Almirante Barroso Street, Pelotas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil