Suicidality and Associated Factors in Pregnant Women in Brazil
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Is important to evaluate suicidal potential and related factors during pregnancy among women who have attended public health services. To determine the suicidal potential, question 10 from Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) was used. In this sample (N = 1,334), 8.1% of pregnant women demonstrated suicidal potential. The potential risk factors for suicide in depressed pregnant women were being single, divorced or widowed, thinking about having an abortion, and having anxiety symptoms; in nondepressed pregnant women were lower age, low education level, low socioeconomic class, thoughts about having an abortion and anxiety symptoms.
- Amorim, P. (2000). Mini International Neuropsychiatric Interview (MINI): Validation of a short structured diagnostic psychiatric interview. Revista Brasileira de Psiquiatria, 22, 106–115. CrossRef
- Associação Brasileira de Empresas de Pesquisa [ABEP]. (2008). Critério de Classificação Econômica Brasil. Available: http://www.abep.org/novo/Content.aspx?ContentID=302.
- Botega, N. J., Bio, M. C., Zomignani, M. A., Garcia, C., Jr, & Pereira, W. A. P. (1995). Mood disorders among medical in-patients: A validation study of the hospital anxiety and depression scale (HAD). Revista de Saúde Pública, 29(5), 355–363. CrossRef
- Casey, P. R., Dunn, G., Kelly, B. D., Birkbeck, G., Dalgard, O. S., Lehtinen, V., et al. (2006). Factors associated with suicidal ideation in the general population: Five-centre analysis from the ODIN study. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 189, 410–415. CrossRef
- Cunha, J. A. (2001). Manual da versão em português das Escalas Beck. São Paulo, SP: Casa do Psicólogo.
- Freitas, G. V. S., & Botega, N. J. (2002). Gravidez na adolescência: prevalência de depressão, ansiedade e ideação suicida. Revista da Associação Médica Brasileira, 48(3), 245–249. CrossRef
- Karmaliani, R., Asad, N., Bann, C. M., Moss, N., Mcclure, E. M., Pasha O., et al. (2009). Prevalence of anxiety, depression and associated factors among pregnant women of Hyderabad, Pakistan. International Journal of Social Psychiatry 55(5):414–424 [Epub 2009 Jul 10].
- Lindahl, V., Pearson, J. L., & Colpe, L. (2005). Prevalence of suicidality during pregnancy and the postpartum. Archives of Women’s Mental Health, 8, 77–87. CrossRef
- Manber, R., Blasey, C., & Allen, J. J. B. (2008). Depression symptoms during pregnancy. Archives of Women’s Mental Health, 11, 43–48. CrossRef
- Ministério da Saúde do Brasil. (2000). High risk pregnancy: Technical manual. Edition 3th, Brasília, DF.
- Nasreen, H. E., Kabir, Z. N., Forsell, Y., & Edhborg, M. (2011). Prevalence and associated factors of depressive and anxiety symptoms during pregnancy: A population based study in rural Bangladesh. BMC Womens Health, 2(11), 22. CrossRef
- Newport, D. J., Levey, L. C., Pennell, P. B., Ragan, K., & Stowe, Z. N. (2007). Suicidal ideation in pregnancy: Assessment and clinical implications. Archives of Women’s Mental Health, 10, 181–187. CrossRef
- Norton, P. J., Temple, S. R., & Pettit, J. W. (2008). Suicidal ideation and anxiety disorders: Elevated risk or artifact of comorbid depression? Journal of behavior therapy and experimental psychiatry, 39(4), 515–525. CrossRef
- Pinheiro, R. T., Silva, R. A., Magalhães, P. V. S., Horta, B. L., & Pinheiro, K. A. T. (2008). Two studies on suicidality in the postpartum. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 118, 160–163. CrossRef
- Riordan, D. V., Selvaraj, S., Stark, C., & Gilbert, J. S. E. (2006). Perinatal circumstances and risk of offspring suicide. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 189, 502–507. CrossRef
- Santos, I. S., Matijasevich, A., Tavares, B. F., Barros, A. J. D., Botelho, I. P., Lapolli, C., et al. (2007). Validation of the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) in a sample of mothers from the 2004 Pelotas birth cohort study. Cadernos de Saúde Pública, 23(11), 2577–2588. CrossRef
- Sareen, J., Cox, B. J., Afifi, T. O., de Graaf, R., Asmundson, G. J., ten Have, M., et al. (2005). Anxiety disorders and risk for suicidal ideation and suicide attempts: A population-based longitudinal study of adults.Archives of General Psychiatry, 62(11), 1249–1257. CrossRef
- Sein Anand, J., Chodorowski, Z., Ciechanowicz, R., Klimaszyk, D., & Lukasik-Glebocka, M. (2005). Acute suicidal self-poisonings during pregnancy. Przeglad Lekarski, 62(6), 434–435.
- Silva, R. A. da, Jansen, K., Souza, L. D. de M., Moraes, I. G. da S., Tomasi, E., Silva, G. Del G. da, et al. (2010). Depression during pregnancy in the Brazilian public health care system. Rev Bras Psiquiatr 32(2):139–144.
- Souza, L. D. M., Silva, R. A., Jansen, K., Kuhn, R. P., Horta, B. L., & Pinheiro, R. T. (2010). Suicidal ideation in adolescents aged 11 to 15 years: Prevalence and associated factors. Revista Brasileira de Psiquiatria, 32, 37–41. CrossRef
- Werlang, B. G., & Botega, N. J. (2004). Comportamento Suicida, Artmed, Porto Alegre, RS.
- Whisman, M. A., Davila, J., & Goodman, S. H. (2011). Relationship adjustment, depression, and anxiety during pregnancy and the postpartum period. Journal of Family Psychology, 25(3), 375–383. CrossRef
- Suicidality and Associated Factors in Pregnant Women in Brazil
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 48, Issue 3 , pp 392-395
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Associated factors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Health and Behavior, Catholic University of Pelotas, 1202, Almirante Barroso Street, Pelotas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil