An Exploratory Factor Analysis of the Burden Assessment Scale with a Sample of African-American Families
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
It remains unclear if the factor structures of commonly used caregiver burden scales normed on white samples are similar with samples from different ethnic communities. Our study tests the factor structure of the Burden Assessment Scale (BAS) using Exploratory Factor Analysis (EFA) with data from low-income, African American families caring for a family member with schizophrenia. The EFA solution included a 2 factor structure of subjective burden and objective burden with strong loadings demonstrating a clear differentiation between the factors. Our results suggest that low income, African American families appear to experience caregiving burden as one major or broad component in their lives similar to other areas that demand ongoing coping and adaptation. Likewise, the factor structure found with this sample as compared to the factor structure found with white samples suggests differences in the perception of and/or the reporting of burden. Study limitations as well as implications for practice are provided.
- Awad, A. G., & Voruganti, L. N. P. (2008). The burden of schizophrenia on caregivers: A review. Pharmacoeconomics, 26(2), 149–162. CrossRef
- Baronet, A. (1999). Factors associated with caregiver burden in mental illness: A critical review of the research literature. Clinical Psychology Review, 19(7), 819–841. CrossRef
- Bauml, J., Frobose, T., Kraemer, S., Rentrop, M., & Pitschel-Walz, G. (2006). Psychoeducation: A basic psychotherapeutic intervention for patients with schizophrenia and their families. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 32(Suppl 1), S1–S9. CrossRef
- Berglund, N., Vahlne, J. O., & Edman, A. (2003). Family intervention in schizophrenia: Impact on family burden and attitude. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 38, 116–121. CrossRef
- Biegel, D. E., Milligan, S. E., Putnam, P. L., & Song, L.-Y. (1994). Predictors of burden among lower socioeconomic status caregivers of persons with chronic mental illness. Community Mental Health Journal, 30(5), 473–494. CrossRef
- Bradley, G. M., Couchman, G. M., Perlesz, A., Nguyen, A. T., Singh, B., & Riess, C. (2006). Multiple-family group treatment for English- and Vietnamese-specking families living with schizophrenia. Psychiatric Services, 57(4), 521–530. CrossRef
- Caqueo-Urizar, A., & Gutierrez-Maldonado, J. (2006). Burden of care in families of patients with schizophrenia. Quality of Life Research, 15, 719–724. CrossRef
- Chien, W. T., Chan, S. W. C., & Morrissey, J. (2007). The perceived burden among Chinese family caregivers of people with schizophrenia. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 16, 1151–1161. CrossRef
- Choppelas, J., & Wilson, C. (2006). Caregiver burden and stress in African American, Asian, Hispanic and Caucasian American caregivers of older family members. Dissertation Abstracts, 66, 9-B.
- Connery, L., & Brekke, J. (1999). A home-based family intervention for ethnic minorities with a mentally ill member. Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly, 17(1/2), 149–167. CrossRef
- Cook, J. A., Lefley, H. P., Pickett, S. A., & Cohler, B. J. (1994). Age and family burden among patients of offspring with severe mental illness. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 64(3), 435–447. CrossRef
- DeVellis, R. F. (1991). Scale development: Theory & applications. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Foldemo, A., Gullberg, M., Ghristina, E. K., & Bogren, L. (2005). Quality of life and burden in parents of outpatients with schizophrenia. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 40, 133–138. CrossRef
- Guarnaccia, P. J., & Parra, P. (1996). Ethnicity, social status, and families’ experiences of caring for a mentally ill family member. Community Mental Health Journal, 32(3), 243–260. CrossRef
- Hines, P. M., & Boyd-Franklin, N. (2005). African-American families. In M. McGoldrick, J. Giordano, & N. Garcia-Preto (Eds.), Ethnicity and family therapy (3rd ed., pp. 87–100). New York, NY: Guildford Press.
- Horwitz, A. V., & Reinhard, S. C. (1995). Ethnic differences in caregiving duties and burden among parents and siblings of persons with severe mental illnesses. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 36(2), 138–150. CrossRef
- Ivarsson, A.-B., Sidenvall, B., & Carlsson, M. (2004). The factor structure of the Burden Assessment Scale and the perceived burden of caregivers for individuals with severe mental disorders. Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, 18, 396–401. CrossRef
- Kealey, E. M. (2005). Variations in the experience of schizophrenia: A cross-cultural review. Journal of Social Work Research and Evaluation, 6(1), 47–56.
- Kung, W. W. (2003). The illness, stigma, culture, or immigration? Burdens on Chinese American caregivers of patients with schizophrenia. Families in Society: The Journal of Contemporary Human Services, 84(4), 547–557.
- Lauber, C., Eichenberger, A., Luginbuhl, P., Keller, C., & Rossler, W. (2003). Determinants of burden in caregivers of patients with exacerbating schizophrenia. European Psychiatry, 18, 285–289. CrossRef
- Magliano, L., Fiorillo, A., De Rosa, C., Malangone, C., & Maj, M. (2005). Family burden in long-term diseases: A comparative study in schizophrenia vs. physical disorders. Social Science and Medicine, 61, 313–322. CrossRef
- Magliano, L., Fiorillo, A., De Rosa, C., & N. M. H. P. W. Group. (2006). Family burden and social network in schizophrenia vs. physical diseases: Preliminary results from an Italian national study. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 113(Suppl. 429), 60–63. CrossRef
- Matias-Carrelo, L. E., Chavez, L. M., Negron, G., Canino, G., Aguilar-Gaxiola, S., & Hoppe, S. (2003). The Spanish translation and cultural adaptation of five mental health outcome measures. Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry, 27, 291–313. CrossRef
- Mechanic, D. (2008). Mental health and social policy: Beyond managed care (5th ed.). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Mueser, K. T., Sengupta, A., Schooler, N. R., Bellack, A. S., Xie, H., Glick, I. D., et al. (2001). Family treatment and medication dosage reduction in schizophrenia: Effects on patient social functioning, family attitudes, and burden. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 69(1), 3–12. CrossRef
- NAMI. (2003). Family to family: Recent studies of family-to-family. Retrieved 12/22/2006, from http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=Family-to-Family&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=36366.
- NIMH. (2008). National Institute of Mental Health Strategic Plan. District of Columbia: National Institute of Mental Healtho. Document Number.
- Pearlin, L., Aneshensel, C., & LeBlanc, A. (1997). The forms and mechanisms of stress proliferation: The case of AIDS caregivers. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 38(3), 223–236. CrossRef
- Pearlin, L., Mullan, J., Semple, S., & Skaff, M. (1990). Caregiving and the stress process: An overview of concepts and their measures. The Gerontologist, 30, 538–594.
- Perlick, D. A., Rosenheck, R. A., Kaczynski, R., Swartz, M. S., Canive, J. M., & Lieberman, J. A. (2006). Components and correlates of family burden in schizophrenia. Psychiatric Services, 57, 1117–1125. CrossRef
- Pickett, S. A., Vraniak, D. A., Cook, J. A., & Cohler, B. J. (1993). Strength in adversity: Blacks bear burden better than whites. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 24(4), 460–467. CrossRef
- Reinhard, S. C., Gubman, G. D., Horwitz, A. V., & Minsky, S. (1994). Burden Assessment Scale for families of the seriously mentally ill. Evaluation and program planning, 17(3), 261–269. CrossRef
- Rosenfarb, I., Bellack, A., & Aziz, N. (2006a). Family interactions and the course of schizophrenia in African American and White patients. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 115(1), 112–120. CrossRef
- Rosenfarb, I., Bellack, A., & Aziz, N. (2006b). A sociocultural stress, appraisal, and coping model of subjective burden and family attitudes toward patients with schizophrenia. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 115(1), 157–165. CrossRef
- Song, L., Biegel, D. E., & Milligan, S. E. (1997). Predictors of depressive symptomatology among lower social class caregivers of persons with chronic mental illness. Community Mental Health Journal, 33(4), 269–286. CrossRef
- Stueve, A., Vine, P., & Struening, E. L. (1997). Perceived burden among caregivers of adults with serious mental illness: Comparison of black, hispanic, and white families. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 67(2), 199–209. CrossRef
- Thornton, M. C. (1998). Indigenous resources and strategies of resistance: Informal caregiving and racial socialization in black communities. In H. I. McCubbin, E. A. Thompson, A. I. Thompson, & J. A. Futrell (Eds.), Resiliency in ethnic minority families: African-American families (Vol. 3, pp. 49–66). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- USDHHS. (2001). Mental health: Culture, race, and ethnicity-a supplement to mental health: A report of the surgeon general. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Mental Health Services.
- Williams, D. R., & Fenton, D. T. (1999). The mental health of African Americans: Findings, questions, and directions. In I. L. Livingston (Ed.), Handbook of black American health—the mosaic of conditions, issues, policies, and prospects (pp. 253–268). Westport, CN: Greenwood Press.
- Wolthaus, J. E. D., Dingemans, P. M. A. J., Schene, A. H., Linszen, D. H., Wiersma, D., Van Den Bosch, R. J., et al. (2002). Caregiver burden in recent-onset schizophrenia and spectrum disorders: The influence of symptoms and personality traits. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 190(4), 241–247. CrossRef
- An Exploratory Factor Analysis of the Burden Assessment Scale with a Sample of African-American Families
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 47, Issue 2 , pp 233-242
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Burden Assessment Scale
- African Americana families
- Psychometric properties
- Caregiver burden
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Ohio State University, College of Social Work, 1947 College Road, 325G Stillman Hall, Columbus, OH, 43210, USA
- 2. University of Southern California, School of Social Work, Montgomery Ross Fisher Building, Los Angeles, CA, 90089-0411, USA