Toward Bayesian uncertainty quantification for forestry models used in the United Kingdom Greenhouse Gas Inventory for land use, land use change, and forestry
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Greenhouse Gas Inventory for the United Kingdom currently uses a simple carbon-flow model, CFLOW, to calculate the emissions and removals associated with forest planting since 1920. Here, we aim to determine whether a more complex process-based model, the BASic FORest (BASFOR) simulator, could be used instead of CFLOW. The use of a more complex approach allows spatial heterogeneity in soils and weather to be accounted for, but places extra demands on uncertainty quantification. We show how Bayesian methods can be used to address this problem.
- Broadmeadow, MSJ, Ray, D, Samuel, CJA (2005) Climate change and the future for broadleaved tree species in Britain. Forestry 78: pp. 145-161 CrossRef
- Bun, R, Hamal, K, Gusti, M (2010) Spatial GHG inventory on regional level: accounting for uncertainty. Clim Change.
- Dewar, RC, Cannell, MGR (1992) Carbon sequestration in the trees, products and soils of forest plantations—an analysis using UK examples. Tree Physiol 11: pp. 49-71
- Galloway, JN The deposition of sulphur and nitrogen from the remote atmosphere. In: Galloway, JN, Charlson, RJ, Andrew, MO eds. (1985) iogeochemical cycling of sulphur and nitrogen in the remote atmosphere. NATO ASI Series D. Reidel, Dordrecht
- Global Soil Data Task (2000) Global gridded surfaces of selected soil characteristics (IGBP-DIS). International Geosphere–Biosphere programme—Data and information services. Available at http://www.daac.ornl.gov
- Hulme M, Jenkins GJ (1998) Climate change scenarios for the United Kingdom: scientific report. KCIP Technical report no 1, Climatic Research Unit, Norwich, 80 pp. Available at http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/link/ukcip/ukcip_report.html
- Joos, F, Bruno, M, Fink, R (1996) An efficient and accurate representation of complex oceanic and biospheric models of anthropogenic carbon uptake. Tellus 48B: pp. 397-416
- Levy, PE, Wendler, R, Oijen, M (2004) The effects of nitrogen enrichment on the carbon sink in coniferous forests: uncertainty and sensitivity analyses of three ecosystem models. Water Air Soil Pollut Focus 4: pp. 67-74 CrossRef
- Monni, S, Peltoniemi, M, Palosuo, T (2007) Uncertainty of forest carbon stock changes—implications to the total uncertainty of GHG inventory of Finland. Clim Change 81: pp. 391-413 CrossRef
- Patenaude, G, Milne, R, Oijen, M (2008) Integrating remote sensing datasets into ecological modelling: a Bayesian approach. Int J Remote Sens 29: pp. 1295-1315 CrossRef
- Peltoniemi, M, Palosuo, T, Monni, S (2006) Factors affecting the uncertainty of sinks and stocks of carbon in Finnish forests soils and vegetation. For Ecol Manag 232: pp. 75-85 CrossRef
- Penman J, Gytarsky M, Hiraishi T et al (eds) (2003) Good practice guidance for land use, land-use change and forestry, IGES/IPCC. Available at http://www.ipcc-nggip.iges.or.jp
- Robert, CP, Casella, G (1999) Monte Carlo statistical methods. Springer, New York,
- Thomson AM, van Oijen M (eds) (2007) Inventory and projections of UK emissions by sources and removals by sinks due to land use, land use change and forestry. Centre for Ecology and Hydrology/DEFRA, London, 197 pp
- Oijen, M, Jandl, R (2004) Nitrogen fluxes in two Norway spruce stands in Austria: an analysis by means of process-based modelling. Austrian J For Sci 12: pp. 167-182
- Oijen, M, Rougier, J, Smith, R (2005) Bayesian calibration of process-based forest models: bridging the gap between models and data. Tree Physiol 25: pp. 915-927
- Oijen, M, Ågren, GI, Chertov, O Application of process-based models to explain and predict changes in European forest growth. In: Kahle, HP, Karjalainen, T, Schuck, A eds. (2008) Causes and consequences of forest growth trends in Europe. Brill, Leiden, pp. 67-80
- Oijen, M, Dauzat, J, Harmand, J-M (2010) Coffee agroforestry systems in Central America: II. Development of a simple process-based model and preliminary results. Agroforest Syst.
- Winiwarter, W, Muik, B (2010) Statistical dependences in input data of national GHG emission inventories: effects on the overall GHG uncertainty and related policy issues. Clim Change.
- Toward Bayesian uncertainty quantification for forestry models used in the United Kingdom Greenhouse Gas Inventory for land use, land use change, and forestry
Volume 103, Issue 1-2 , pp 55-67
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors