Reading Place: Bodies and Spaces in Québécois Adolescent Literature
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper examines two Canadian (Québécois) novels for young adults, translated from French to English in Canada: The Road to Chlifa by Michèle Marineau, and Pieces of Me by Charlotte Gingras. We examine the representation of adolescent bodies in space and movement, and how these coming of age narratives play out in relation to discourses about nationality and citizenship. This paper suggests that there are subtle differences in sensibilities in works published in French by Québécois writers and publishers, and that there is evidence of a lingering solitude in relation to young adult literature in Canada. We argue that we need to understand and continue to explicate the complex set of cultural readings and re-readings engendered by these and other coming of age novels that cross real and imagined boundaries of federation and language; that is, we encourage educators to examine representations of adolescent protagonists in relation to the production and reception of literary works that travel within and across our borders.
- Alberta Education. (2005). Learning and Teaching Resources Branch: English Language Arts Authorized Novels and Nonfiction List Grades 4 to 12. Edmonton: Alberta Education, Learning and Teaching Resources Branch.
- Aldana, Patsy. (2001, November/December). Crossing the Money Boundary. Horn Book Magazine, 77(6), 675–682. Accessed May 25, 2010, from http://archive.hbook.com/magazine/articles/2001/nov01_aldana.asp.
- Amazon.ca. (n.d.). La Route de Chlifa. Accessed October 14, 2012, from http://www.amazon.ca/Road-Chlifa-Michele-Marineau/dp/0889951292/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340914148&sr=8-1.
- Anna. (2009, July 1). Pieces of Me by Charlotte Gingras [Web log post]. Accessed August 10, 2011, from http://evaperrymockprintz.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/pieces-of-me-by-charlotte-gingras/.
- Bradford, Clare. (2007). Unsettling Narratives: Postcolonial Readings of Children’s Literature. Waterloo, ON: Wilfrid Laurier University Press.
- Brooks, Martha. (2007). Mistik Lake. Toronto: Groundwood Books.
- Canada Council for the Arts. (2009). Governor General’s Literary Awards. Accessed August 5, 2011, from http://www.canadacouncil.ca/prizes/ggla/.
- Challenging the Bookworm Blog. (2009, September 25). Pieces of Me by Charlotte Gingras [Web log post]. Accessed August 11, 2011, from http://challengingthebookworm.wordpress.com/2009/09/25/pieces-of-me-by-charlotte-gingras/.
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada. (2008). Canadian Multiculturalism: An Inclusive Citizenship. Accessed January 31, 2012, from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/multiculturalism/citizenship.asp.
- Cobban, Michelle. (2006). Bridging the Two Solitudes: Translated French-Canadian Children’s Literature from 1900 to 2004. Master’s thesis, University of British Columbia. Accessed August 11, 2011, from http://circle.ubc.ca/handle/2429/17922.
- Dobson, Kit. (2006). Transnational Canadas: Anglo-Canadian Literature and Globalization. Waterloo, ON: Wilfrid Laurier University Press.
- Egoff, Sheila, and Saltman, Judith. (1990). The New Republic of Childhood: A Critical Guide to Canadian Children’s Literature in English. Toronto: Oxford University Press.
- Ellis, Sarah. (1996). News from the North. Horn Book Magazine, 12(1), 117–121.
- Gagnon, André. (1987). Translation of Children’s Books in Canada. CCL/LCJ, 45, 14–53.
- Gallaway, Beth. (2009, July 1). Pieces of Me by Charlotte Gingras [Web log post]. Accessed April 20, 2010, from http://hiplibrariansbookblog.blog-city.com/piecesofme.htm.
- Gingras, Charlotte. (1998). La Liberté? Connais Pas… Montréal: La Courte Échelle.
- Gingras, Charlotte. (2009). Pieces of Me (Susan Ouriou, Trans.). Toronto: Kids Can Press.
- Gingras, Charlotte. (2010, March 29). “Projet de Recherche—La Liberté? Connais Pas…” Message to the authors. Email.
- Google Books. (2003). The Road To Chlifa. Accessed October 15, 2012, from http://books.google.ca/books/about/Road_to_Chlifa.html?id=Kf4pNAAACAAJ.
- Guérette, Charlotte. (1998). Au Coeur de la Littérature d’Enfance et de Jeunesse. Sainte-Foy: Éditions La Liberté.
- Juby, Susan. (2007). Another Kind of Cowboy. Toronto: HarperTrophyCanada.
- Kids Can Press. (n.d.). Pieces of Me. Accessed October 17, 2012, from http://www.kidscanpress.com/us/Pieces-of-Me-P3096.aspx.
- Kirk, Heather. (1995, October). Young Adult Books—Getting to the Roots. Books in Canada. Accessed August 11, 2011, from http://www.booksincanada.com/article_view.asp?id=1339.
- Koustas, Jane. (2000/2001). Translations. University of Toronto Quarterly, 70(1), 271–287.
- La Courte Échelle. (2010). La Liberté? Connais Pas… Accessed October 15, 2012, from http://www.courteechelle.com/la-liberte-connais-pas.
- Landreville, Ginette. (2003). La Table Ronde des Créateurs: Propos Transcrits et Mis en Forme. Lurelu, 26(3), 5–11.
- Lepage, Françoise. (2000). Histoire de la Littérature pour la Jeunesse: Québec et Francophonies du Canada. Orléans, ON: Éditions David.
- Library and Archives Canada (2002). La Liberté? Connais Pas… Accessed October 17, 2012, from http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/read-up-on-it/015020-2067-e.html.
- Library and Archives Canada (2005). La Route De Chlifa. Accessed October 14, 2012, from http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/read-up-on-it/015020-053059-e.html.
- Madore, Edith. (1994). Littérature pour la Jeunesse au Québec. Montréal: Boréal.
- Marineau, Michèle. (1991). La Route de Chlifa. Montréal: Québec Amérique.
- Marineau, Michèle. (1995). The Road to Chlifa (Susan Ouriou, Trans.). Red Deer: Red Deer Press.
- Marineau, Michèle. (2010, March 17). Questionnaire Auteurs. Message to the author. Email.
- Marshall, Joan. (2009, May). Pieces of Me. CM Magazine XV(18). Accessed August 2, 2011, from http://umanitoba.ca/outreach/cm/vol15/no18/piecesofme.html.
- Nanji, Shenaz. (2008). Child of Dandelions. Toronto: Second Story Press.
- Nodelman, Perry. (2003). Of Solitudes and Borders: Double-Focalized Canadian Books for Children. CCL, 109–110, 58–86.
- Nodelman, Perry. (2004). A Monochromatic Mosaic: Class, Race, and Culture in Double-Focalized Canadian Novels for Young People. CCL, 115–116, 32–60.
- Ouriou, Susan. (2010, April 5). “Re: UBC—Research Project—The Road to Chlifa and Pieces of Me.” Message to the authors. Email.
- Perren, Susan. (1996, May 11). Facing Traumas from the Past, the Present, and the Future Children’s Books. The Globe and Mail, p. C25.
- Poulin, Andrée. (2002). Les Auteurs Canadiens-Anglais en Traduction. Lurelu, 25(2), 5–10.
- Pouliot, Suzanne. (2004). Children’s Literature in Québec and French-Speaking Canada. In Peter Hunt (Ed.), International Companion Encyclopedia of Children’s Literature, Vol. 2 (2nd ed., pp. 1019–1024). New York: Routledge.
- Québec Amérique-a. (n.d.). La Route De Chlifa. Accessed October 18, 2012, from http://www.quebec-amerique.com/livre-details-jeunesse.php?id=440.
- Québec Amérique-b. (n.d.). La Route De Chlifa. Accessed October 18, 2012, from http://www.quebec-amerique.com/livre-details-jeunesse.php?id=1199.
- Reimer, Mavis. (2004). Canadian Children’s Literature in English. In Peter Hunt (Ed.), International Companion Encyclopedia of Children’s Literature, vol. 2 (2nd ed., pp. 1011–1019). New York: Routledge.
- Reimer, Mavis. (2008). Discourses of Home in Canadian Children’s Literature. In Mavis Reimer (Ed.), Home Words: Discourses of Children’s Literature in Canada (pp. xi–xx). Waterloo, ON: Wilfrid Laurier University Press.
- Rogers, Theresa. (1998). Reading Gatsby/Performing Jazz: On Voice, Race, and Resistance. English Quarterly, 31(1), 48–59.
- Rogers, Theresa, and Soter, Anna O. (1997). Reading Across Cultures: Teaching Literature in a Diverse Society. New York: Teacher College Press.
- Rogers, Theresa, et al. (2010). Looking for Canada: Places and Cultural Spaces in Recent Fiction for Adolescents. Jeunesse, 2(1), 188–202.
- Said, Edward W. (1983). The World, the Text, and the Critic. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Tamaki, Mariko, and Tamaki, Jillian. (2008). Skim. Toronto: Groundwood Books/House of Anansi Press.
- Trites, Seelinger, and Roberta, (2000). Disturbing the Universe: Power and Repression in Adolescent Literature. Iowa City: University of Iowa Press.
- Wandal, Deborah. (2003, August). Children’s Books. Books in Canada. Accessed January 30, 2012, from http://www.booksincanada.com/article_view.asp?id=3617.
- Whitfield, Agnes. (2002/2003). Translations/Traductions. University of Toronto Quarterly, 72, 291–307.
- Zeytinoglu, Cem. (2010). Multiculturalism. In Ronald Jackson and Michael A. Hogg (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Identity. (pp. 480–485). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. Accessed May 3, 2012, from SAGE Reference Online.
- Reading Place: Bodies and Spaces in Québécois Adolescent Literature
Children's Literature in Education
Volume 44, Issue 2 , pp 140-155
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Adolescent literature
- Representation of bodies in space and movement
- Canadian (Québécois) literature