A probe-based method for measuring the transport coefficient in the tokamak edge region
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A new method for measuring the diffusion coefficient in the edge plasma of fusion devices is presented. The method is based on studying the decay of the plasma fluctuation spectrum inside a small ceramic tube having its mouth flush with a magnetic surface and its axis aligned along the radial direction. The plasma fluctuations are detected by an electrode, radially movable inside the tube.
In the experiment described herein, which was performed in the edge region of the CASTOR tokamak, the electrode measured the floating potential. The experimental arrangement is the same used for the direct plasma potential measurements according to the “Ball-pen probe” , the design of which is based on the Katsumata probe principle.
When the electrode protrudes from the tube, the measured signal shows the floating potential fluctuations of the plasma. Retracting the electrode into the tube, the signal power spectrum displays a decay. This decay is different for different frequencies, and is exponential. Assuming a mainly diffusive behaviour of the plasma inside the tube, the spectrum decay length can be used to derive a value of the diffusion coefficient.
The measurement were performed at different radial positions in the CASTOR edge region, so that a radial profile of the diffusion coefficient was obtained. Typical values ofD are of (2–3) m2/s, consistent with expectations from the global particle balance. The radial profile shows a tendency of the diffusion coefficient to increase going deeper into the plasma.
- J. Adámek, J. Stöckel, M. Hron, J. Ryszawy, M. Tichý, R. Schrittwieser, C. Ionita, P. Balan, E. Martines, and G. Van Oost: Czech. J. Phys.54, Suppl. C, (2004) C95.
- Adámek, J., Stöckel, J., Ďuran, I., Hron, M., Pánek, R., Tichý, M., Schrittwieser, R., Ionita, C., Balan, P., Martines, E., Oost, G. (2005) Czech. J. Phys. 55: pp. 235-235 CrossRef
- J.S. Bendat and A.G. Piersol:Random Data, Analysis and Measurement Procedures, 2nd Edition, John Wiley and Sons, 1986.
- Boedo, J.A. (2003) Phys. Plasmas 10: pp. 1670-1670 CrossRef
- Devynck, P., Brotankova, J., Peleman, P., Spolaore, M., Figueiredo, H., Hron, M., Kirnev, G., Martines, E., Stockel, J., Oost, G., Weinzettl, V. (2006) Phys. Plasmas 13: pp. 102505-102505 CrossRef
- A probe-based method for measuring the transport coefficient in the tokamak edge region
Czechoslovak Journal of Physics
Volume 56, Issue 12 , pp 1321-1327
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- toroidal plasma
- plasma diagnostics
- plasma probes
- power spectra
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Plasma Physics, Association EURATOM/IPP.CR, Acad. Sci. CR, Za Slovankou 3, Praha 8, Czech Republic
- 2. Consorzio RFX, Associazione EURATOM/ENEA sulla Fusione, Padova, Italy
- 3. Association EURATOM/MEdC, Faculty of Physics, Al.I. Cuza University, Iasi, Romania
- 4. Association EURATOM/ÖAW, Institute for Ion Physics and Applied Physics, Leopold-Franzens University Innsbruck, Austria
- 5. Department of Applied Physics, Ghent University, Belgium
- 6. Hogeschool Rotterdam, Rotterdam, Netherlands