Experimental investigation of gasless detonation in metal-sulfur compositions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Samples of zinc-sulfur and manganese-sulfur mixtures are shocked using an explosive pentolite charge to investigate if a shock-initiated reaction is able to support continued shock wave propagation. Samples of two different nominal densities (62 and 86% of theoretical maximum density) are prepared as weakly confined cylinders 50 mm in diameter and are instrumented along their length (⩽280 mm) with sensitive piezoelectric pins. Experimental results showed that the shock wave transmitted into the sample by the explosive rapidly decays to an acoustic wave in all four sample types. Furthermore, in denser samples, the part of the sample farthest from the explosive is recovered intact and unreacted, which clearly indicates that the wave is unable to trigger reactions after 100 mm of travel along the sample. Thus, it is concluded that insufficient reaction energy is transmitted forward to the shock wave to prevent its decay as it travels along the sample.
- M. B. Boslough, “A thermochemical model for shock-induced reactions (heat detonations) in solids,” J. Chem. Phys., 92, No. 3, 1839–1848 (1990). CrossRef
- L. S. Bennett and Y. Horie, “Shock-induced inorganic reactions and condensed phase detonations,” Shock Waves, 4, 127–136 (1994). CrossRef
- W. Fickett and W. C. Davis, Detonation: Theory and Experiment, University of California Press (1979).
- A. G. Merzhanov, Yu. A. Gordopolov, and V. S. Trofimov, “On the possibility of gasless detonation in condensed systems,” Shock Waves, 4, 157–159 (1996). CrossRef
- N. N. Thadhani, “Shock-induced and shock-assisted solid-state chemical reactions in powder mixtures,” J. Appl. Phys., 76, No. 4, 2129–2138 (1994). CrossRef
- J. Jiang, S. Goroshin, and J. H. S. Lee, “Shock wave induced chemical reaction in Mn + S mixture,” in: Proc. of the APS Shock Compression of Condensed Matter (1997), pp. 655–658.
- J. H. S. Lee, S. Goroshin, A. Yoshinaka, M. Romano, J. Jiang, I. Hooton, and F. Zhang, “Attempts to initiate detonations in metal-sulphur mixtures,” in: Proc. of the APS Shock Compression of Condensed Matter (1999), pp. 775–778.
- D. L. Gurév, Yu. A. Gordopolov, and S. S. Batsanov, “Solid-state synthesis of ZnTe in shock waves,” Combust., Expl., Shock Waves, 42, No. 1, 116–124 (2006). CrossRef
- S. S. Batsanov and Yu. A. Gordopolov, “Solid-state detonation velocity limits,” Combust., Expl., Shock Waves, 43, No. 5, 587–589 (2007). CrossRef
- L. G. Bolkhovitinov and S. S. Batsanov, “Theory of solid-state detonation,” Combust., Expl., Shock Waves, 43, No. 2, 219–221 (2007). CrossRef
- D. L. Gur’ev, Yu. A. Gordopolov, S. S. Batsanov, A. G. Merzhanov, and V. E. Fortov, “Solid-state detonation in the zinc-sulfur system,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 88, 024102-1–024102-3 (2006).
- S. S. Batsanov, “An additive method for calculation of the sound velocity in porous materials,” Inorg. Mater., 43, No. 10, 1070–1072 (2007). CrossRef
- A. Yu. Dolgoborodov, M. N. Makhov, I. V. Kolbanev, A. N. Streletskii, and V. E. Fortov, “Detonation in an aluminum-Teflon mixture,” JETP Lett., 81, No. 7, 311–314 (2005). CrossRef
- W. Mock (Jr.) and W. H. Holt, “Impact initiation of rods of pressed polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) and aluminum powders,” in: Proc. of the APS Shock Compression of Condensed Matter (2005), pp. 1097–1100.
- F. X. Jetté, S. Goroshin, and A. J. Higgins, “Shock reactivity of non-porous mixtures of manganese and sulfur,” in: Proc. of the APS Shock Compression of Condensed Matter (2007), pp. 1033–1036.
- G. Asch, Les Capteurs en Instrumentation Industrielle, Dunod (1982).
- M. L. Oelze, W. D. O’Brien (Jr.), and R. G. Darmody, “Measurement of attenuation and speed of sound in soils,” Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 66, 788–796 (2002). CrossRef
- S. S. Batsanov, Effects of Explosions on Materials, Springer-Verlag (1994).
- F. X. Jetté, S. Goroshin, and A. J. Higgins, “Timeresolved temperature measurements of shock initiation in a manganese-sulfur mixture,” in: Proc. of the APS Shock Compression of Condensed Matter (2007), pp. 1037–1040.
- Experimental investigation of gasless detonation in metal-sulfur compositions
Combustion, Explosion, and Shock Waves
Volume 45, Issue 2 , pp 211-217
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- gasless detonation
- shock wave
- zinc-sulfur mixture
- manganese-sulfur mixture