Adenosine-induced caspase-3 activation by tuning Bcl-XL/DIABLO/IAP expression in HuH-7 human hepatoma cells
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Extracellular adenosine disrupted mitochondrial membrane potentials in HuH-7 cells, a Fas-deficient human hepatoma cell line, and the effect was inhibited by the adenosine transporter inhibitor dipyridamole or by overexpressing Bcl-XL. Adenosine downregulated the expression of mRNAs and proteins for Bcl-XL and inhibitor of apoptosis protein 2 (IAP2) to directly inhibit caspase-3, -7, and -9, but it otherwise upregulated the expression of mRNA and protein for DIABLO, an inhibitor of IAPs. Those adenosine effects were attenuated by dipyridamole. Caspase-3 and -8 were implicated in adenosine-induced HuH-7 cell death, and adenosine actually activated caspase-3 without caspase-9 activation. The caspase-3 activation was inhibited by overexpressing Bcl-XL or IAP2. Taken together, the results of the present study indicate that intracellularly transported adenosine activates caspase-3 by neutralizing caspase-3 inhibition due to IAP as a result of decreased IAP2 expression and reduced IAP activity in response to increased DIABLO expression and perhaps DIABLO release from damaged mitochondria, in addition to caspase-8 activation. This represents further insight into adenosine-induced HuH-7 cell apoptotic pathway.
- Barry CP, Lind SE. Adenosine-mediated killing of cultured epithelial cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2000;60:1887–94.
- Bar-Yehuda S, Stemmer SM, Madi L, Castel D, Ochaion A, Cohen S, et al. The A3 adenosine receptor agonist CF102 induces apoptosis of hepatocellular carcinoma via de-regulation of the Wnt and NF-κB signal transduction pathways. Int J Oncol. 2008;33:287–95.
- Chen L, Smith L, Wang Z, Smith JB. Preservation of caspase-3 subunits from degradation contributes to apoptosis evoked by lactacystin: any single lysine or lysine pair of the small subunit is sufficient for ubiquitination. Mol Pharmacol. 2003;64:334–45. CrossRef
- Cory S, Adams JM. The Bcl2 family: regulators of the cellular life-or-death switch. Nat Rev Cancer. 2002;2:647–56. CrossRef
- Du C, Fang M, Li Y, Li L, Wang X. Smac, a mitochondrial protein that promotes cytochrome c-dependent caspase activation by eliminating IAP inhibition. Cell. 2000;102:33–42. CrossRef
- Earnshaw WC, Martins LM, Kaufmann SH. Mammalian caspases: structure, activation, substrates, and functions during apoptosis. Annu Rev Biochem. 1999;68:383–424. CrossRef
- Gao Z, Tian Y, Wang J, Yin Q, Wu H, Li YM, et al. A dimeric Smac/diablo peptide directly relieves caspase-3 inhibition by XIAP. Dynamic and cooperative regulation of XIAP by Smac/Diablo. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30718–27. CrossRef
- Grbovic O, Jovic Y, Ruzdijic S, Pejanovic V, Rakic L, Kanazir S. 8-Cl-cAMP affects glioma cell-cycle kinetics and selectively induces apoptosis. Cancer Invest. 2002;20:972–82. CrossRef
- Green DR, Reed JC. Mitochondria and apoptosis. Science. 1998;281:1309–12. CrossRef
- Irmler M, Thome M, Hahne M, Schneider P, Hofmann K, Steiner V, et al. Inhibition of death receptor signals by cellular FLIP. Nature. 1997;388:190–5. CrossRef
- Kroemer G. The proto-oncogene Bcl-2 and its role in regulating apoptosis. Nat Med. 1997;3:614–20. CrossRef
- Krueger A, Baumann S, Krammer PH, Kirchhoff S. FLICE-inhibitory proteins: regulators of death receptor-mediated apoptosis. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:8247–54. CrossRef
- Li LY, Luo X, Wang X. Endonuclease G is an apoptotic DNase when released from mitochondria. Nature. 2001;412:95–9. CrossRef
- Li P, Nijhawan D, Budihardjo I, Srinivasula SM, Ahmad M, Alnemri ES, et al. Cytochrome c and dATP-dependent formation of Apaf-1/caspase-9 complex initiates an apoptotic protease cascade. Cell. 1997;91:479–89. CrossRef
- Loeffler M, Kroemer G. The mitochondrion in cell death control: certainties and incognita. Exp Cell Res. 2000;256:19–26. CrossRef
- Peyot ML, Gadeau AP, Dandre F, Belloc I, Dupuch F, Desgranges C. Extracellular adenosine induces apoptosis of human arterial smooth muscle cells via A2b-purinoceptor. Circ Res. 2000;86:76–85.
- Sai K, Yang D, Yamamoto H, Fujikawa H, Yamamoto S, Nagata T, et al. A1 adenosine receptor signal and AMPK involving caspase-9/-3 activation are responsible for adenosine-induced RCR-1 astrocytoma cell death. Neurotoxicology. 2006;27:458–67. CrossRef
- Saitoh M, Nagai K, Nakagawa K, Yamamura T, Yamamoto S, Nishizaki T. Adenosine induces apoptosis in the human gastric cancer cells via an intrinsic pathway relevant to activation of AMP-activated protein kinase. Biochem Pharmacol. 2004;67:2005–11. CrossRef
- Salvesen GS, Duckett CS. IAP proteins: blocking the road to death's door. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2002;3:401–10. CrossRef
- Scaffidi C, Fulda S, Srinivasan A, Friesen C, Li F, Tomaselli KJ, et al. Two CD95 (APO-1/Fas) signaling pathways. EMBO J. 1998;17:1675–87. CrossRef
- Sun XM, Bratton SB, Butterworth M, MacFarlane M, Cohen GM. Bcl-2 and Bcl-xL inhibit CD95-mediated apoptosis by preventing mitochondrial release of Smac/DIABLO and subsequent inactivation of X-linked inhibitor-of-apoptosis protein. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:11345–51. CrossRef
- Susin SA, Lorenzo HK, Zamzami N, Marzo I, Snow BE, Brothers GM, et al. Molecular characterization of mitochondrial apoptosis-inducing factor. Nature. 1999;7:441–6.
- Verhagen AM, Ekert PG, Pakusch M, Silke J, Connolly LM, Reid GE, et al. Identification of DIABLO, a mammalian protein that promotes apoptosis by binding to and antagonizing IAP proteins. Cell. 2000;102:43–53. CrossRef
- Verhagen AM, Silke J, Ekert PG, Pakusch M, Kaufmann H, Connolly LM, et al. HtrA2 promotes cell death through its serine protease activity and its ability to antagonize inhibitor of apoptosis proteins. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:445–54. CrossRef
- Wang X. The expanding role of mitochondria in apoptosis. Genes Dev. 2001;15:2922–33.
- Wen LT, Knowles AF. Extracellular ATP and adenosine induce cell apoptosis of human hepatoma Li-7A cells via the A3 adenosine receptor. Br J Pharmacol. 2003;140:1009–18. CrossRef
- Yang D, Yaguchi T, Yamamoto H, Nishizaki T. Intracellularly transported adenosine induces apoptosis in HuH-7 human hepatoma cells by downregulating c-FLIP expression causing caspase-3/-8 activation. Biochem Pharmacol. 2007;73:1665–75. CrossRef
- Yasuda Y, Saito M, Yamamura T, Yaguchi T, Nishizaki T. Extracellular adenosine induces apoptosis in Caco-2 human colonic cancer cells by activating caspase-9/-3 via A2a adenosine receptors. J Gastroenterol. 2009;44:56–65. CrossRef
- Zou H, Li Y, Liu X, Wang X. An APAF-1. Cytochrome c multimeric complex is a functional apoptosome that activates procaspase-9. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:11549–56. CrossRef
- Adenosine-induced caspase-3 activation by tuning Bcl-XL/DIABLO/IAP expression in HuH-7 human hepatoma cells
Cell Biology and Toxicology
Volume 26, Issue 4 , pp 319-330
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- HuH-7 cell
- Inhibitor of apoptosis protein
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Bioinformation, Department of Physiology, Hyogo College of Medicine, 1-1 Mukogawa-cho, Nishinomiya, 663-8501, Japan
- 2. Department of Thoracic Oncology, Hyogo College of Medicine, 1-1 Mukogawa-cho, Nishinomiya, 663-8501, Japan