Protective action of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum) seed polyphenols against alcohol-induced protein and lipid damage in rat liver
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The study investigates the effect of fenugreek seed polyphenol extract (FPEt) on ethanol-induced damage in rat liver. Chronic ethanol administration (6 g kg−1 day−1 × 60 days) caused liver damage that was manifested by excessive formation of thiobarbituric-acid-reactive substances, lipid hydroperoxides, and conjugated dienes, the end products of lipid peroxidation, and significant elevation of protein carbonyl groups and diminution of sulfhydryl groups, a marker of protein oxidation. Decreased activities of enzymic and non-enzymic antioxidant levels and decreased levels of thiol groups (both non-protein and protein) were observed in ethanol-treated rats. Further, ethanol significantly increased the accumulation of 4-hydroxynonenal protein adducts, nitrated and oxidized proteins in liver which was evidenced by immunohistochemistry. Administration of FPEt to ethanol-fed rats (200 mg kg−1 day−1) significantly reduced the levels of lipid peroxidation products and protein carbonyl content, increased the activities of antioxidant enzymes, and restored the levels of thiol groups. The effects of FPEt were comparable with those of a positive control, silymarin. These findings show that FPEt ameliorates the pathological liver changes induced by chronic ethanol feeding.
- Ando Y, Nyhlin N, Suhr O, Holmgren G, Uchida K, El Sahly M, et al. Oxidative stress is found in amyloid deposits in systemic amyloidosis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1997;232:497–502. CrossRef
- Baker H, Frank O, De Angelis B, Feingold S. Plasma tocopherol in man at various times after ingesting free or acetylated tocopherol. Nutr Rep Int 1980;21:531–6.
- Beal MF. Oxidatively modified proteins in aging and disease. Free Radic Biol Med 2002;32:797–803. CrossRef
- Cederbaum AI. Introduction—serial review: alcohol, oxidative stress and cell injury. Free Radic Biol Med 2001;31:1524–6. CrossRef
- Cohn JA, Tsai L, Friguet B, Szweda LI. Chemical characterization of a protein-4-hydroxy-2-nonenal cross-link: immunochemical detection in mitochondria exposed to oxidative stress. Arch Biochem Biophys 1996;328:158–64. CrossRef
- Dixit P, Ghaskadbi S, Mohan H, Devasagayam TP. Antioxidant properties of germinated fenugreek seeds. Phytother Res 2005;19:977–83. CrossRef
- Ellman GL. Tissue sulphydryl groups. Arch Biochem Biophys 1959;82:70–7. CrossRef
- Greenacre SA, Ischiropoulos H. Tyrosine nitration: localization, quantification, consequences for protein function and signal transduction. Free Radic Res 2001;34:541–81. CrossRef
- Gupta R, Nair S. Antioxidant flavonoids in common Indian diet. South Asian J Prev Cardiol 1999;3:83–94.
- Harborne JB, Williams CA. Advances in flavonoid research since 1992. Phytochemistry 2000;55:481–504. CrossRef
- Horn HD, Burns FH. Assay of glutathione reductase activity. In: Bergmeyer HV, editor. Methods of enzymatic analysis. New York: Academic Press; 1978. p. 142.
- Ischiropoulos H, Zhu L, Chen J, Tsai M, Martin JC, Smith CD, et al. Peroxynitrite-mediated tyrosine nitration catalyzed by superoxide dismutase. Arch Biochem Biophys 1992;298:431–7. CrossRef
- Jiang ZY, Hunt JV, Wolf SP. Detection of lipid hydroperoxides using the FOX method. Anal Biochem 1999;202:384–9. CrossRef
- Kakkar P, Das B, Viswanathan PN. A modified spectrophotometric assay of superoxide dismutase. Ind J Biochem Biophys 1984;21:130–2.
- Kaviarasan S, Anuradha CV. Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum) seed polyphenols protect liver from alcohol toxicity: a role on hepatic detoxification system and apoptosis. Die Pharm 2007;62:299–304.
- Kaviarasan S, Vijayalakshmi K, Anuradha CV. Polyphenol-rich extract of fenugreek seeds protect erythrocytes from oxidative damage. Plant Food Hum Nutr 2004;59:143–7. CrossRef
- Kaviarasan S, Ramamurty N, Gunasekaran P, Varalakshmi E, Anuradha CV. Fenugreek seed extract prevents ethanol-induced toxicity and apoptosis in Chang liver cells. Alcohol 2006;41:267–73.
- Kaviarasan S, Naik GH, Gangabhagirathi R, Anuradha CV, Priyadarsini KI. In vitro studies on antiradical and antioxidant activities of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum) seeds. Food Chem 2007a;103:31–37. CrossRef
- Kaviarasan S, Viswanathan P, Anuradha CV. Fenugreek seed (Trigonella foenum graecum) polyphenols inhibit ethanol-induced collagen and lipid accumulation in rat liver. Cell Biol Toxicol 2007b;23:373–83. CrossRef
- Levine RL. Carbonyl modified proteins in cellular regulation, aging and disease. Free Radic Biol Med 2002;32:790–6. CrossRef
- Levine RL, Garland D, Oliver CN, et al. Determination of carbonyl content of oxidatively modified proteins. Methods in enzymology, vol. 186. Florida: Academic; 1990. p. 464–78.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. Protein measurement with the Folin’s-Phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 1951;193:265–75.
- Mato JM, Camara J, Fernandez de Paz J, Caballeria L, Coll S, Caballero A, et al. S-adenosylmethionine in alcoholic liver cirrhosis: a randomized placebo-controlled, double blind, multicentre clinical trial. J Hepatol 1999;30:1081–9. CrossRef
- Niehaus WG, Samuelsson B. Formation of malondialdehyde from phospholipids arachidonate during microsomal lipid peroxidation. Eur J Biochem 1968;6:126–30. CrossRef
- Ohhira M, Ohtake T, Matsumoto A, Saito H, Ikuta K, Fujimoto Y, et al. Immunohistochemical detection of 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal-modified-protein adducts in human alcoholic liver diseases. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 1998;22:145–9. CrossRef
- Omaye ST, Tarnbull JD, Sauberlich HE. Selected methods for the determination of ascorbic acid in animal cells, tissues and fluids. Method Enzymol 1991;62:1–11.
- Paradis V, Kollinger M, Fabre M, Holstege A, Poynard T, Bedossa P. In situ detection of lipid peroxidation by products in chronic liver disease. Hepatology 1997;26:135–42. CrossRef
- Pares A, Planas R, Torres M, Caballeria J, Viver JM, Acero D, et al. Effects of silymarin in alcoholic patients with cirrhosis of the liver: results of a controlled, double-blind, randomized and multicenter trial. J Hepatol 1998;28:615–21. CrossRef
- Rao KS, Recknagel RO. Early onset of lipoperoxidation in rat liver after carbon tetrachloride administration. Exp Mol Pathol 1968;9:271–8. CrossRef
- Rolla R, Vay D, Mottaran E, Parodi M, Traverso N, Arico S, et al. Detection of circulating antibodies against malondialdehyde-acetaldehyde adducts in patients with alcohol-induced liver disease. Hepatology 2000;31:878–84. CrossRef
- Rotruck JT, Pope AL, Ganther HE, Swanson AB, Hafeman DG, Hoekstra WG. Selenium: biochemical role as a component of glutathione peroxidase. Science 1973;179:588–90. CrossRef
- Sedlack I, Lindsay RH. Estimation of total protein sulfhydryl groups in tissues with Ellman’s reagent. Anal Biochem 1968;25:192–205. CrossRef
- Shang M, Cai S, Han J, Li J, Zhao Y, Zheng J, et al. Studies on flavonoids from fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum L). Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 1998a;23:614–6.
- Shang M, Cai S, Wang X. Analysis of amino acids in Trigonella foenum graecum seeds. Zhong Yao Cai 1998b;21:188–90.
- Sharma RD. Effect of fenugreek seeds and leaves on blood glucose and serum insulin responses in human subjects. Nutr Res 1986;6:1353–64. CrossRef
- Sharma RD, Sarkar A, Hazra DK, Misra B. Hypolipidaemic effect of fenugreek seeds: a chronic study in non-insulin dependent diabetic patients. Phytother Res 1996;10:332–4. CrossRef
- Singleton SL, Rossi JA. Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic—phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Vitic 1965;16:144–58.
- Sinha AK. Colorimetric assay of catalase. Anal Biochem 1972;47:389–94. CrossRef
- Suja Pandian R, Anuradha CV, Viswanathan P. Gastroprotective effect of fenugreek seeds (Trigonella foenum graecum) on experimental gastric ulcer in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2002;81:393–7. CrossRef
- Sur P, Das M, Gomes A, Vedasiromoni JR, Sahu NP, Banerjee S, et al. Trigonella foenum graecum (Fenugreek) seed extract as an antineoplastic agent. Phytother Res 2001;15:257–9. CrossRef
- Thirunavukkarasu V, Anuradha CV, Viswanathan P. Protective effect of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum) seeds in experimental ethanol toxicity. Phytother Res 2003;17:737–43. CrossRef
- Toyokuni S, Uchida K, Okamoto K, Hattori-Nakakuki Y, Hiai H, Stadtman ER. Formation of 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal-modified proteins in the renal proximal tubules of rats treated with a renal carcinogen, ferric nitrilotriacetate. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1994;91:2616–20. CrossRef
- Tsukamoto H, Lu SC. Current concepts in the pathogenesis of alcoholic liver injury. FASEB J 2001;15:1335–49. CrossRef
- Xia J, Allenbrand B, Sun GY. Dietary supplementation of grape polyphenols and chronic ethanol administration on LDL oxidation and platelet function in rats. Life Sci 1998;63:383–90. CrossRef
- Yoritaka A, Hattori N, Uchida K, Tanaka M, Stadtman ER, Mizuno Y. Immunohistochemical detection of 4-hydroxynonenal protein adducts in Parkinson disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1996;93:2696–2701. CrossRef
- Protective action of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum) seed polyphenols against alcohol-induced protein and lipid damage in rat liver
Cell Biology and Toxicology
Volume 24, Issue 5 , pp 391-400
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Lipid peroxidation
- Protein oxidation
- Fenugreek seed polyphenols
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of science, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, 608 002, India
- 2. Department of Pathology, Dr. ALM PG Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Chennai, India