Effects of Eprosartan on Diastolic Function and Neurohormones in Patients with Hypertension and Diastolic Dysfunction
To compare the effects of an angiotensin receptor blocker(ARB)-based regimen versus a non-ARB based regimen on diastolic function and neurohormones in patients with hypertension and diastolic dysfunction.
97 patients with a systolic blood pressure (SBP) ≥140 mmHg, a left ventricular ejection fraction >0.50, and echocardiographic evidence of diastolic dysfunction were randomly assignment to open-label treatment with eprosartan (with other anti-hypertensives; n = 47) or other anti-hypertensives alone (n = 50). Echocardiography, including tissue Doppler imaging (TDI), and neurohormones were done at baseline and after 6 months.
Mean age was 65 (±10) years and 64% was female. During 6 months of treatment, SBP decreased from 157 ± 16 to 145 ± 18 mmHg in the eprosartan group and from 158 ± 17 to 141 ± 18 mmHg in the control group (both p < 0.001; p = ns between groups). Diastolic function was unaffected in both groups and there was no correlation between changes in SBP and changes in mean TDI (r = −0.06; p = 0.58). Aldosterone levels decreased in the eprosartan group, but other neurohormones remained largely unchanged. Change in SBP was however related to the change in NT-proBNP (r = 0.26; p = 0.019).
Lowering blood pressure, either with eprosartan or other anti-hypertensives in hypertensive patients with diastolic dysfunction did not change diastolic function after 6 months of treatment, but was associated with a decrease of NT-proBNP.
- Wang M, Yip G, Yu CM, Zhang Q, Zhang Y, Tse D, et al. Independent and incremental prognostic value of early mitral annulus velocity in patients with impaired left ventricular systolic function. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005;45:272–7. CrossRef
- Klingbeil AU, Schneider M, Martus P, Messerli FH, Schmieder RE. A meta-analysis of the effects of treatment on left ventricular mass in essential hypertension. Am J Med. 2003;115:41–6. CrossRef
- López B, Querejeta R, Varo N, González A, Larman M, Martínez Ubago JL, et al. Usefulness of serum carboxy-terminal propeptide of procollagen type I in assessment of the cardioreparative ability of antihypertensive treatment in hypertensive patients. Circulation. 2001;104:286–91.
- Ciulla MM, Paliotti R, Esposito A, Dìez J, López B, Dahlöf B, et al. Different effects of antihypertensive therapies based on losartan or atenolol on ultrasound and biochemical markers of myocardial fibrosis: results of a randomized trial. Circulation. 2004;110:552–7. CrossRef
- Müller-Brunotte R, Kahan T, López B, Edner M, González A, Díez J, et al. Myocardial fibrosis and diastolic dysfunction in patients with hypertension: results from the Swedish Irbesartan Left Ventricular Hypertrophy Investigation versus Atenolol (SILVHIA). J Hypertens. 2007;25:1958–66. CrossRef
- Müller-Brunotte R, Kahan T, Malmqvist K, Ring M, Edner M. Tissue velocity echocardiography shows early improvement in diastolic function with irbesartan and atenolol therapy in patients with hypertensive left ventricular hypertrophy. Results from the Swedish Irbesartan Left Ventricular Hypertrophy Investigation vs Atenolol (SILVHIA). Am J Hypertens. 2006;19:927–36. CrossRef
- Araujo AQ, Arteaga E, Ianni BM, Buck PC, Rabello R, Mady C. Effect of Losartan on left ventricular diastolic function in patients with nonobstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol. 2005;96:1563–7. CrossRef
- Mattioli AV, Zennaro M, Bonatti S, Bonetti L, Mattioli G. Regression of left ventricular hypertrophy and improvement of diastolic function in hypertensive patients treated with telmisartan. Int J Cardiol. 2004;97:383–8. CrossRef
- Tanaka H, Oki T, Tabata T, Yamada H, Harada K, Kimura E, et al. Losartan improves regional left ventricular systolic and diastolic function in patients with hypertension: accurate evaluation using a newly developed color-coded tissue doppler imaging technique. J Card Fail. 2004;10:412–20. CrossRef
- Futai R, Ito T, Kawanishi Y, Terasaki F, Kitaura Y. Olmesartan ameliorates myocardial function independent of blood pressure control in patients with mild-to-moderate hypertension. Heart Vessels. 2009;24:294–300. CrossRef
- Wachtell K, Bella JN, Rokkedal J, Palmieri V, Papademetriou V, Dahlöf B, et al. Change in diastolic left ventricular filling after one year of antihypertensive treatment: the losartan intervention for endpoint reduction in hypertension (LIFE) study. Circulation. 2002;105:1071–6. CrossRef
- Zakynthinos E, Pierutsakos Ch, Konstantinidis K, Zakynthinos S, Papadogiannis D. Losartan reduces left ventricular hypertrophy proportionally to blood pressure reduction in hypertensives, but does not affect diastolic cardiac function. Angiology. 2004;55:669–78.
- Solomon SD, Janardhanan R, Verma A, Bourgoun M, Daley WL, Purkayastha D, et al. Valsartan in diastolic dysfunction (VALIDD) investigators. Effect of angiotensin receptor blockade and antihypertensive drugs on diastolic function in patients with hypertension and diastolic dysfunction: a randomised trial. Lancet. 2007;369:2079–87. CrossRef
- Nagueh SF, Appleton CP, Gillebert TC, Marino PN, Oh JK, Smiseth OA, et al. Recommendations for the evaluation of left ventricular diastolic function by echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2009;22:107–33. CrossRef
- Smilde TD, van Veldhuisen DJ, Navis G, Voors AA, Hillege HL. Drawbacks and prognostic value of formulas estimating renal function in patients with chronic heart failure and systolic dysfunction. Circulation. 2006;114:1572–80. CrossRef
- Mancia G, De Backer G, Dominiczak A, Cifkova R, Fagard R, Germano G, et al. The task force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension, The task force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology. 2007 Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: The Task Force for the Management of Arterial Hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J. 2007;28:1462–536.
- Yip GW, Wang M, Wang T, Chan S, Fung JW, Yeung L, et al. The Hong Kong diastolic heart failure study: a randomised controlled trial of diuretics, irbesartan and ramipril on quality of life, exercise capacity, left ventricular global and regional function in heart failure with a normal ejection fraction. Heart. 2008;94:573–80. CrossRef
- Okura H, Takada Y, Yamabe A, Kubo T, Asawa K, Ozaki T, et al. Age- and gender-specific changes in the left ventricular relaxation: a Doppler echocardiographic study in healthy individuals. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2009;2:41–6. CrossRef
- Yusuf S, Pfeffer MA, Swedberg K, Granger CB, Held P, McMurray JJ, et al. CHARM investigators and committees. Effects of candesartan in patients with chronic heart failure and preserved left-ventricular ejection fraction: the CHARM-preserved trial. Lancet. 2003;362:777–81. CrossRef
- Massie BM, Carson PE, McMurray JJ, Komajda M, McKelvie R, Zile MR, et al. I-PRESERVE investigators. Irbesartan in patients with heart failure and preserved ejection fraction. N Engl J Med. 2008;359:2456–67. CrossRef
- Cleland JG, Tendera M, Adamus J, Freemantle N, Polonski L, Taylor J, et al. The perindopril in elderly people with chronic heart failure (PEP-CHF) study. Eur Heart J. 2006;27:2338–45. CrossRef
- Van Veldhuisen DJ, Cohen-Solal A, Böhm M, Anker SD, Babalis D, Roughton M, et al. Beta-blockade with nebivolol in elderly heart failure patients with impaired and preserved left ventricular ejection fraction: data from SENIORS. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;53:2150–8. CrossRef
- van de Wal RM, Plokker HW, Lok DJ, Boomsma F, van der Horst FA, van Veldhuisen DJ, et al. Determinants of increased angiotensin II levels in severe chronic heart failure patients despite ACE inhibition. Int J Cardiol. 2006;106:367–72. CrossRef
- Voors AA, de Jong RM. Treating diastolic heart failure. Heart. 2008;94:971–2. CrossRef
- Dickstein K, Cohen-Solal A, Filippatos G, McMurray JJ, Ponikowski P, Poole-Wilson PA, et al. ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2008: the Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2008 of the European Society of Cardiology. Developed in collaboration with the Heart Failure Association of the ESC (HFA) and endorsed by the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine (ESICM). Eur J Heart Fail. 2008;10:933–89. CrossRef
- Hartog JW, Voors AA, Bakker SJ, Smit AJ, van Veldhuisen DJ. Advanced glycation end-products (AGEs) and heart failure: pathophysiology and clinical implications. Eur J Heart Fail. 2007;9:1146–55. CrossRef
- Hartog JW, Voors AA, Schalkwijk CG, Scheijen J, Smilde TD, Damman K, et al. Clinical and prognostic value of advanced glycation end-products in chronic heart failure. Eur Heart J. 2007;28:2879–85. CrossRef
- Little WC, Zile MR, Kitzman DW, Hundley WG, O’Brien TX, Degroof RC. The effect of alagebrium chloride (ALT-711), a novel glucose cross-link breaker, in the treatment of elderly patients with diastolic heart failure. J Card Fail. 2005;11:191–5. CrossRef
- Effects of Eprosartan on Diastolic Function and Neurohormones in Patients with Hypertension and Diastolic Dysfunction
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Cardiovascular Drugs and Therapy
Volume 24, Issue 1 , pp 33-40
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Heart failure
- Blood pressure
- Diastolic function
- Tissue doppler
- Natriuretic peptides
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Cardiology, University Medical Centre Groningen, PO Box 30.001, 9700, RB, Groningen, The Netherlands
- 2. St. Antonius Hospital Nieuwegein, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
- 3. Refaja Hospital Stadskanaal, Stadskanaal, The Netherlands