Cerebrovascular Events After Discontinuation of Rofecoxib Treatment
- Frank Andersohn
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The pain-relieving nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) exhibit different degrees of selectivity for the isoforms COX-1 and COX-2 which differ substantially in their localization and function. While COX-1 plays an important role in the cytoprotection of the gastric mucosa, in platelet activation, and in other homeostatic processes, COX-2 is thought to largely account for prostaglandin formation at the site of tissue injury . With the objective of treating pain and inflammation without affecting gastric mucosa, COX-2 selective NSAIDs (“Coxibs”) were developed and introduced on the market. The finding of an excess of thrombotic cardiovascular events, primarily of myocardial infarction, in the VIGOR trial  raised concern about the cardiovascular safety of rofecoxib, and also of COX-2 inhibitors in general. The relative risk (RR) of myocardial infarction was 5.00 (95% confidence interval (CI) 1.68–20.13) for patients treated with rofecoxib as compared with naproxen . The p ...
- Fitzgerald GA. Coxibs and cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med 2004;351:1709–11. CrossRef
- Bombardier C, Laine L, Reicin A, Shapiro D, Burgos-Vargas R, Davis B et al. Comparison of upper gastrointestinal toxicity of rofecoxib and naproxen in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. VIGOR Study Group. N Engl J Med 2000;343:1520–8. CrossRef
- Curfman GD, Morrissey S, Drazen JM. Expression of concern: bombardier et al. Comparison of upper gastrointestinal toxicity of rofecoxib and naproxen in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, N Engl J Med 2000;343:1520–8. N Engl J Med 2005;353:2813–4.
- Bresalier RS, Sandler RS, Quan H, Bolognese JA, Oxenius B, Horgan K et al. Cardiovascular events associated with rofecoxib in a colorectal adenoma chemoprevention trial. N Engl J Med 2005;352:1092–102. CrossRef
- FDA—Department of Health and Human Services. Joint meeting of the arthritis advisory committee and the drug safety and risk management advisory committee. http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/05/transcripts/2005-4090T1.pdf. Accessed March 1, 2007.
- Merck. APPROVe Extension Statistical Package. http://www.merck.com/newsroom/vioxx/pdf/APPROVe_Extension_Statistical_Package.pdf. Accessed March 1, 2007.
- McAdam BF, Catella-Lawson F, Mardini IA, Kapoor S, Lawson JA, Fitzgerald GA. Systemic biosynthesis of prostacyclin by cyclooxygenase (COX)-2: the human pharmacology of a selective inhibitor of COX-2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1999;96:272–7. CrossRef
- Kudryashov SA, Tertov VV, Orekhov AN, Geling NG, Smirnov VN. Regression of atherosclerotic manifestations in primary culture of human aortic cells: effects of prostaglandins. Biomed Biochim Acta 1984;43:S284–S286.
- Cheng Y, Austin SC, Rocca B, Koller BH, Coffman TM, Grosser T et al. Role of prostacyclin in the cardiovascular response to thromboxane A2. Science 2002;296:539–41. CrossRef
- Andersohn F, Schade R, Suissa S, Garbe E. Cyclooxygenase-2 selective nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and the risk of ischemic stroke: a nested case-control study. Stroke 2006;37:1725–30. CrossRef
- Fitzgerald GA. COX-2 and beyond: approaches to prostaglandin inhibition in human disease. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2003;2:879–90. CrossRef
- Serebruany VL, Malinin AI, Bhatt DL. Paradoxical rebound platelet activation after painkillers cessation: missing risk for vascular events? Am J Med 2006;119:707 e. 11–6.
- Bogaty P, Brophy JM, Noel M, Boyer L, Simard S, Bertrand F et al. Impact of prolonged cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition on inflammatory markers and endothelial function in patients with ischemic heart disease and raised C-reactive protein: a randomized placebo-controlled study. Circulation 2004;110:934–9. CrossRef
- Fischer LM, Schlienger RG, Matter CM, Jick H, Meier CR. Discontinuation of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug therapy and risk of acute myocardial infarction. Arch Intern Med 2004;164:2472–6. CrossRef
- EMEA—European Medicines Agency. Public CHMP Assessment report for medicinal products containing non-selective non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). http://www.emea.eu.int/pdfs/human/opiniongen/44213006en.pdf. Accessed March 1, 2007.
- Lagakos SW. Time-to-event analyses for long-term treatments—the APPROVe trial. N Engl J Med 2006;355:113–7. CrossRef
- Chen LC, Ashcroft DM. Do selective COX-2 inhibitors increase the risk of cerebrovascular events? A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Clin Pharm Ther 2006;31:565–76. CrossRef
- Kearney PM, Baigent C, Godwin J, Halls H, Emberson JR, Patrono C. Do selective cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors and traditional non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs increase the risk of atherothrombosis? Meta-analysis of randomised trials. BMJ 2006;332:1302–8. CrossRef
- Cerebrovascular Events After Discontinuation of Rofecoxib Treatment
Cardiovascular Drugs and Therapy
Volume 21, Issue 2 , pp 77-79
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Frank Andersohn (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Charité—Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Institute of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Charitéplatz 1, 10117, Berlin, Germany