Pharmacotherapy of Acute Coronary Syndromes: Medical Economics with an Emphasis on Clopidogrel
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Acute coronary syndromes account worldwide for a significant burden of hospital- and societal costs. Pharmacotherapy of acute coronary syndromes consists of a combined antithrombotic therapy. Remarkable therapeutic advances have been made with the introduction of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor inhibitors, low molecular weight heparins and thienopyridines, such as clopidogrel. Based on positive clinical data of large randomized trials numerous cost studies have been undertaken to analyse the cost-effectiveness of these new drugs. Most of them are showing an acceptable level of cost-effectiveness for the new treatments. Taking all available cost-studies into account, we conclude that new antithrombotic treatments are cost-effective as long as their use is limited to selected patient populations.
- Yeghiazarians Y, Braunstein JB, Askari A, Stone PH. Unstable angina pectoris. N Engl J Med 2000;342:101–114. CrossRef
- Corti R, Farkouh ME, Badimon JJ. The vulnerable plaque and acute coronary syndromes. Am J Med 2002;113:668–680. CrossRef
- Charles ED, Wayne JB, Oberman A, et al. Costs and benefits associated with treatment for coronary artery disease. Circulation 1982;66:III87–III90.
- Wittels EH, Hay JW, Gotto AM Jr. Medical costs of coronary artery disease in the United States. Am J Cardiol 1990;65:432–440. CrossRef
- Russell MW, Huse DM, Drowns S, Hamel EC, Hartz SC. Direct medical costs of coronary artery disease in the United States. Am J Cardiol 1998;81:1110–1115. CrossRef
- Sagmeister M, Gessner U, Oggier W, Horisberger B, Gutzwilller F. An economic analysis of ischaemic heart disease in Switzerland. Eur Heart J 1997;18:1102–1109.
- Brown RE, Henderson RA, Koster D, Hutton J, Simoons ML. Cost effectiveness of eptifibatide in acute coronary syndromes; an economic analysis of Western European patients enrolled in the PURSUIT trial. The Platelet IIa/IIb in unstable Angina: Receptor Suppression Using Integrilin Therapy. Eur Heart J 2002;23:50–58. CrossRef
- Braunwald E, Antman EM, Beasley JW, et al. ACC/AHA 2002 guideline update for the management of patients with unstable angina and non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction–summary article: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines (Committee on the Management of Patients With Unstable Angina). J Am Coll Cardiol 2002;40:1366–1374. CrossRef
- Collaborative meta-analysis of randomised trials of antiplatelet therapy for prevention of death, myocardial infarction, and stroke in high risk patients. Bmj 2002;324:71–86.
- Gaspoz JM, Coxson PG, Goldman PA, et al. Cost effectiveness of aspirin, clopidogrel, or both for secondary prevention of coronary heart disease. N Engl J Med 2002;346:1800–1806. CrossRef
- Use of a monoclonal antibody directed against the platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor in high-risk coronary angioplasty. The EPIC Investigation. N Engl J Med 1994;330:956–961.
- Platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor blockade and low-dose heparin during percutaneous coronary revascularization. The EPILOG Investigators. N Engl J Med 1997;336:1689–1696.
- Randomised placebo-controlled trial of abciximab before and during coronary intervention in refractory unstable angina: The CAPTURE Study. Lancet. 1997;349:1429–1435.
- Randomised placebo-controlled trial of effect of eptifibatide on complications of percutaneous coronary intervention: IMPACT-II. Integrilin to Minimise Platelet Aggregation and Coronary Thrombosis-II. Lancet. 1997;349:1422–1428.
- Effects of platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa blockade with tirofiban on adverse cardiac events in patients with unstable angina or acute myocardial infarction undergoing coronary angioplasty. The RESTORE Investigators. Randomized Efficacy Study of Tirofiban for Outcomes and REstenosis. Circulation. 1997;96:1445–1453.
- Inhibition of platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa with eptifibatide in patients with acute coronary syndromes. The PURSUIT Trial Investigators. Platelet Glycoprotein IIb/IIIa in Unstable Angina: Receptor Suppression Using Integrilin Therapy. N Engl J Med. 1998;339:436–443.
- International, randomized, controlled trial of lamifiban (a platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitor), heparin, or both in unstable angina. The PARAGON Investigators. Platelet IIb/IIIa Antagonism for the Reduction of Acute coronary syndrome events in a Global Organization Network. Circulation. 1998;97:2386–2395.
- A comparison of aspirin plus tirofiban with aspirin plus heparin for unstable angina. Platelet Receptor Inhibition in Ischemic Syndrome Management (PRISM) Study Investigators. N Engl J Med. 1998;338:1498–1505.
- Inhibition of the platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor with tirofiban in unstable angina and non-Q-wave myocardial infarction. Platelet Receptor Inhibition in Ischemic Syndrome Management in Patients Limited by Unstable Signs and Symptoms (PRISM-PLUS) Study Investigators. N Engl J Med 1998;338:1488–1497.
- Hillegass WB, Newman AR, Raco DL. Economic issues in glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor therapy. Am Heart J 1999;138:S24–S32. CrossRef
- Mark DB, Harrington RA, Lincoff AM, et al. Cost-effectiveness of platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibition with eptifibatide in patients with non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes. Circulation. 2000;101:366–371.
- McElwee NE, Johnson ER. Potential economic impact of glycoprotein IIb-IIIa inhibitors in improving outcomes of patients with acute ischemic coronary syndromes. Am J Cardiol 1997;80:39B–43B.
- Bell DM. Analysis of number needed to treat and cost of platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitors in percutaneous coronary interventions and acute coronary syndromes. Pharmacotherapy 1999;19:1086–1093.
- Szucs TD, Meyer BJ, Kiowski W. Economic assessment of tirofiban in the management of acute coronary syndromes in the hospital setting: An analysis based on the PRISM PLUS trial. Eur Heart J 1999;20:1253–1260. CrossRef
- Szucs TD, Schwenkglenks M, Berger K, Karsch K. [Costs and cost-effectiveness of Eptifibatide in the treatment of coronary ischemic syndromes. An analysis based on the PURSUIT study]. Z Kardiol 2003;92:236–244. CrossRef
- Antman EM, McCabe CH, Gurfinkel EP, et al. Radley D, Premmereur J, Braunwald E. Enoxaparin prevents death and cardiac ischemic events in unstable angina/non-Q-wave myocardial infarction. Results of the thrombolysis in myocardial infarction (TIMI) 11B trial. Circulation 1999;100:1593–1601.
- Cohen M, Demers C, Gurfinkel EP, et al. A comparison of low-molecular-weight heparin with unfractionated heparin for unstable coronary artery disease. Efficacy and Safety of Subcutaneous Enoxaparin in Non-Q-Wave Coronary Events Study Group. N Engl J Med 1997;337:447–452.
- Brosa M, Rubio-Terres C, Farr I, Nadipelli V, Froufe J. Cost-effectiveness analysis of enoxaparin versus unfractionated heparin in the secondary prevention of acute coronary syndrome. Pharmacoeconomics 2002;20:979–987.
- Mark DB, Cowper PA, Berkowitz SD, et al. Economic assessment of low-molecular-weight heparin (enoxaparin) versus unfractionated heparin in acute coronary syndrome patients: Results from the ESSENCE randomized trial. Efficacy and Safety of Subcutaneous Enoxaparin in Non-Q wave Coronary Events [unstable angina or non-Q-wave myocardial infarction]. Circulation 1998;97:1702–1707.
- O'Brien BJ, Willan A, Blackhouse G, Goeree R, Cohen M, Goodman S. Will the use of low-molecular-weight heparin (enoxaparin) in patients with acute coronary syndrome save costs in Canada? Am Heart J 2000;139:423–429. CrossRef
- Detournay B, Huet X, Fagnani F, Montalescot G. Economic evaluation of enoxaparin sodium versus heparin in unstable angina. A French sub-study of the ESSENCE trial. Pharmacoeconomics 2000;18:83–89.
- Yusuf S, Zhao F, Mehta SR, Chrolavicius S, Tognoni G, Fox KK. Effects of clopidogrel in addition to aspirin in patients with acute coronary syndromes without ST-segment elevation. N Engl J Med 2001;345:494–502.
- Schleinitz MD, Heidenreich PA. A cost-effectiveness analysis of combination antiplatelet therapy for high-risk acute coronary syndromes: clopidogrel plus aspirin versus aspirin alone. Ann Intern Med 2005;142:251–259.
- Lamy A, Jonsson B, Weintraub WS, et al. The cost-effectiveness of the use of clopidogrel in acute coronary syndromes in five countries based upon the CURE study. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 2004;11:460–465.
- Lindgren P, Jonsson B, Yusuf S. Cost-effectiveness of clopidogrel in acute coronary syndromes in Sweden: A long-term model based on the CURE trial. J Intern Med 2004;255:562–570. CrossRef
- Latour-Perez J, Navarro-Ruiz A, Ridao-Lopez M, Cervera-Montes M. Using clopidogrel in non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome patients: a cost-utility analysis in Spain. Value Health 2004;7:52–60. CrossRef
- Frei A, Lindgren P, Meier B. Cost-effectiveness of clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndrome in Switzerland. Kardiovaskuläre Medizin 2004;7:174–180.
- Brueggenjuergen B, Ehlken B, Willich SN. Cost-effectiveness of clopidogrel in addition to acetylsalicylic acid vs. acetylsalicylic acid in Germany based on the CURE trial. Pharmacoeconomics-German Research 2003;1:29–38.
- Schwarz B, Lindgren P, Nanz S. Long-term cost-effectiveness of clopidogrel plus acetylsalicylic acid in patients with acute coronary syndrome without ST-segment elevation in Austria. Pharmacoeconomics-German Research 2004;2:31–41.
- A randomised, blinded, trial of clopidogrel versus aspirin in patients at risk of ischaemic events (CAPRIE). CAPRIE Steering Committee. Lancet 1996;348:1329–1339.
- Ringleb PA, Bhatt DL, Hirsch AT, Topol EJ, Hacke W. Benefit of clopidogrel over aspirin is amplified in patients with a history of ischemic events. Stroke 2004;35:528–532. CrossRef
- Haldemann R, Luscher TF, Szucs TD. [Cost effectiveness of clopidogrel in secondary cardiovascular prevention: A cost-effectiveness analysis based on the Caprie Study]. Schweiz Rundsch Med Prax 2001;90:539–545.
- Schleinitz MD, Weiss JP, Owens DK. Clopidogrel versus aspirin for secondary prophylaxis of vascular events: A cost-effectiveness analysis. Am J Med 2004;116:797–806. CrossRef
- Eriksson P. Creative cost-effectiveness analysis of CAPRIE data-dust in our eyes. Am J Med 2005;118:199–200. CrossRef
- Pharmacotherapy of Acute Coronary Syndromes: Medical Economics with an Emphasis on Clopidogrel
Cardiovascular Drugs and Therapy
Volume 19, Issue 4 , pp 291-299
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- acute coronary syndrome
- acetyl salicylic acid
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Internal Medicine, Medical Policlinic, University Hospital, Gloriastrasse 18A, Zurich, CH-8006, Switzerland
- 2. Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
- 3. Institute for Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Zurich, Gloriastrasse 18A, Zurich, CH-8006, Switzerland