Tropical endomyocardial fibrosis (Davies’ disease): case report demonstrating the role of magnetic resonance imaging
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Tropical endomyocardial fibrosis (TEMF), a restrictive cardiomyopathy of unclear etiology, is an endemic disease in equatorial Africa, South America and India. The patients are usually young, the onset of the disease and its clinical manifestations insidious, and the prognosis poor. We currently present a 50-year-old Congolese female who was referred with symptoms of progressive right-sided heart failure due to isolated TEMF of the right ventricle. Surgical resection of regional endomyocardial fibrosis was not possible and our patient was referred for cardiac transplantation. Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (CMR) demonstrated the primary and secondary structural and functional abnormalities. CMR seems ideally suited to diagnose this condition and monitor response to medical and/or surgical therapy.
- Williams, AW (1938) Heart disease in the native population of Uganda. Part 1: syphilitic heart disease. East Afr Med J 15: pp. 279
- Davies, JNP (1948) Endomyocardial fibrosis in Africans. East Afr Med J 25: pp. 10
- Connor DH, Somers K, Hutt MSR, et al. Endomyocardial fibrosis in Uganda. (Davies’ Disease) Part 1. Am Heart J 1967; 74: 687.
- Connor DH, Somers K, Hutt MSR, et al. Endomyocardial fibrosis in Uganda. (Davies’ Disease) Part 2. Am Heart J 1968; 75: 107.
- Valiathan MS, Somers K, Chandrasekharan Kartha C editiors. Endomyocardial Fibrosis. Oxford and New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1993; ISBN 0-19-563 2370.
- Andy, JJ (2001) Aetiology of endomyocardial fibrosis. West Afr J Med 20: pp. 199-207
- Oliveira, SA, Pereira-Barreto, AC, Mady, C (1990) Surgical treatment of endomyocardial fibrosis: a new approach. J Am Coll Cardiol 16: pp. 1246-1251 CrossRef
- Chopra, P, Narula, J, Talwar, KK (1990) Histomorpholic characteristics of EMF: an endomyocardial biopsy study.. Human Pathol 21: pp. 613-616
- Goo, HW, Han, NJ, Lim, TH (2001) Endomyocardial fibrosis mimicking right ventricular tumor. Am J Roentol 177: pp. 205-206
- Meuwissen, M, Somsen, GA, Piek, JJ (1999) Neovascularity related to mural thrombus in EMF. Int J Card Imaging 15: pp. 205-207
- Perreira-Barreto, AC, Da Luz, PL, Oliviera, SA (1989) Determinants of survival in endomyocardial fibrosis. Circulation 80: pp. 177-182
- Tropical endomyocardial fibrosis (Davies’ disease): case report demonstrating the role of magnetic resonance imaging
The International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging
Volume 20, Issue 6 , pp 517-522
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- cardiac magnetic resonance imaging
- restrictive cardiomyopathy
- tropical endomyocardial fibrosis
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Cardiology, Maastricht University Hospital, Dr P Debyelaan 25, P.O. Box 5800, 6202 AZ, Maastricht, The Netherlands
- 2. Department of Radiology, Maastricht University Hospital, Dr P Debyelaan 25, P.O. Box 5800, 6202 AZ, Maastricht, The Netherlands