Lymphohematopoietic Cancers in the United Farm Workers of America (UFW), 1988–2001
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Agricultural risk factors for lymphohematopoeitic cancers (LHC) in Hispanic farm workers in California were examined in a nested case–control study embedded in a cohort of 139,000 ever members of a farm worker labor union in California.
Crop and pesticide exposures were estimated by linking county/month and crop specific job history information from union records with California Department of Pesticide Regulation pesticide use reports during the 20-year period prior to cancer diagnosis.
A total of 131 LHC diagnosed in California between 1988 and 2001 were included in the analysis. Analyses were conducted by gender and subtype of non-Hodgkins lymphoma (nodal, extra nodal) and by leukemia histology (lymphocytic, granulocytic). Odds ratios were calculated by stratification and by unconditional logistic regression. Risk for all LHC was elevated in workers cultivating vegetables (OR = 1.67, 95% CI = 1.12–2.48). Risk of leukemia was associated with exposure to the pesticides mancozeb (OR = 2.35, 95% CI = 1.12–4.95) and toxaphene (OR = 2.20, 95% CI = 1.04–4.65) while NHL risk was increased in association with 2,4-D (OR = 3.80, 95% CI=1.85–7.81). Risk of leukemia was particularly elevated among female workers and for granulocytic versus lymphocytic leukemia for several chemicals. No associations were noted for multiple myeloma.
California farm workers employed where mancozeb and toxaphene were used had an increased risk of leukemia compared to farm workers employed elsewhere. Employment in farms using 2,4-D was associated with an increased risk of NHL.
- Blair, A, Zahm, SH (1995) Agricultural exposures and cancer. Environ Health Perspect 103: pp. 205-208
- Colt, J, Stallones, L, Cameron, L, Dosemeci, M, Zahm, SH (2001) Proportionate mortality among U.S. migrant and seasonal farm workers in twenty-four states. Am J Indust Med 40: pp. 604-611 CrossRef
- Stubbs, A, Harris, J, Spear, R (1984) A proportionate mortality analysis of California agricultural workers, 1978–1979. Am J IndustMed 6: pp. 305-320
- Mason TJ, McKay FW, Hoover R, et al. (1975) Atlas of Cancer Mortality in U.S. Counties, 1950–1969. DHEW (NIH) Pub. No. 76–1204. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office
- Zahm, SK, Ward, MH, Blair, A (1997) Pesticides and Cancer. Occup Med: Sta Art Rev 12: pp. 269-289
- Hardell, L, Eriksson, M, Lenner, P (1981) Malignant lymphoma and exposure to chemicals especially organic solvents, chlorophenols and phenoxy acids: A case–control study. Br J Cancer 43: pp. 169-176
- Hoar, SK, Blair, A, Holmes, FF (1986) Agricultural herbicides use and risk of lymphoma and soft-tissue sarcoma. JAMA 256: pp. 1141-1147 CrossRef
- Zahm, SH, Weisenburger, DD, Babbitt, P (1990) A case–control study of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and the herbicide 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) in eastern Nebraska. Epidemiology 1: pp. 349-356
- Cantor, KP, Blair, A, Everett, G (1992) Pesticides and other agricultural risk factors for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma among men in Iowa and Minnesota. Cancer Res 52: pp. 2447-2455
- DeRoos, AC, Zahm, SH, Cantor, KP (2003) Integrative assessment of multiple pesticides as risk factors for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma among men. Occup Environ Med 60: pp. E11 CrossRef
- Mills, PK, Kwong, S (2001) Cancer Incidence in the United Farm workers of America (UFW), 1987–1997. Am J Ind Med 40: pp. 596-603 CrossRef
- Morris C, Cohen R, Perkins C, et al. (1999) Cancer in California, 1988–1996. Sacramento, CA: California Health Department Of Health Services, Cancer Surveillance Section
- Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program (1986) Summary Staging Guide for the Cancer Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Reporting (SEER) Program. Bethesda, MD; U.S. Public Health Services, National Institute of Health
- Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program (1992) SEER Extent of Disease - 1988 Coding Instructions, Second Edition. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute. NIH Pub. No. 92–2313
- Jaro, MA (1995) Probabilistic record linkages of large public health databases. Stat Med 14: pp. 491-498
- California Department of Pesticide Regulation (2000) Pesticide use reporting: an overview of California’s unique full reporting system. Sacramento, CA: California Department of Pesticide Regulation
- Mantel, N, Haenszel, W (1959) Statistical aspects of the analysis of data from retrospective studies of disease. J Natl Cancer Inst 22: pp. 719-748
- Mantel, N (1963) Chi square tests with one degree of freedom: extensions of the Mantel-Haenszel procedure. J Am Stat Assoc 58: pp. 690-700
- Breslow, NE, Day, NE (1980) Statistical Methods in Cancer Research, Vol. 1. The analysis of case control studies. International Agency for Research, Lyon, France
- Statistical Package for the Social Sciences, Version 11.2001. Chicago, IL. 20. SPSS.
- USDA (1997) Census of Agriculture, 1997, Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, National Agricultural Statistics Service.
- California Department of Pesticide Regulation (2001) Website available at :http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/pur/pur98rep/ tables04.htm
- Kristensen, P, Andersen, A, Irgens, LM, Laake, P, Bye, AS (1996) Incidence and risk factors of cancer in Norwegian agriculture. Scand J Work Environ Health 22: pp. 14-26
- Cerhan, JR, Cantor, KP, Williamson, K, Lynch, CF, Torner, JC, Burmeister, LF (1998) Cancer mortality among Iowa farmers: recent results, time trends, and lifestyle factors (United States). Cancer Causes Control 9: pp. 311-319 CrossRef
- Donham, KJ, Berg, J, Sawin, RS (1980) Epidemiologic relationships of the bovine population and human leukemia in Iowa. Am J Epidemiol 112: pp. 80-92
- Blair, A, White, DW (1985) Leukemia cell types and agricultural practices in Nebraska. Arch Environ Health 40: pp. 211-214
- Brown, LM, Blair, A, Gibson, R (1990) Pesticide exposures and other agricultural risk factors for leukemia among men in Iowa and Minnesota. Cancer Res 50: pp. 6585-6591
- Sperati, A, Rapiti, E, Settimi, L, Quercia, A, Terenzoni, B, Forastierie, F (1999) Mortality among male licensed pesticide users and their wives. Am J Indust Med 36: pp. 142-146 CrossRef
- Pearce, NE, Sheppard, RA, Howard, JK (1986) Leukemia among New Zealand Agricultural workers. A cancer registry-based study. Am J Epidemiol 124: pp. 402-409
- Nanni, O, Amadori, D, Lugaresi, C (1996) Chronic lymphocyte leukemias and non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas by histologic type in farming-animal breeding workers: a population case–control study based on a priori exposure matrices. Occup Environ Med 53: pp. 652-657
- Blair, A, Zahm, SH (1991) Cancer among farmers. Occup Med 3: pp. 335-354
- Schroeder, JC, Olshan, AF, Baric, R (2001) Agricultural risk factors for t(14;18) subtypes of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Epidemiology 12: pp. 701-709 CrossRef
- United States Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Pesticide Programs, Health Effects Division, Science Information Management Branch (2004) Chemicals Evaluated for Carcinogenic Potential. July 2004
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) (2002) Agricultural Bulletin Board on Data Collection, Dissemination, and Quality of Statistics. URL available at:http://apps. fao.org/page/collection?subset=agriculture
- Ronco, G, Costa, G, Lynge, E (1992) Cancer risk among Danish and Italian farmers. Br J Ind Med 49: pp. 220-225
- Settimi, L, Comba, P, Carrieri, P (1999) Cancer risk among female agricultural workers: A multi-center case–control study. Am J Indust Med 36: pp. 135-141 CrossRef
- Folsom, A, Zhang, S, Sellers, T, Zheng, W, Kushi, L, Cerhan, J (1996) Cancer incidence among women living on farms: findings from the Iowa Women’s Health Study. J Occup Environ Med 38: pp. 1171-1176 CrossRef
- Rothman KJ, Greenland S (1998) Ecologic Studies. In: Modern Epidemiology. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott-Raven Publishers
- Lymphohematopoietic Cancers in the United Farm Workers of America (UFW), 1988–2001
Cancer Causes & Control
Volume 16, Issue 7 , pp 823-830
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- farm workers
- Industry Sectors