The Service-Dominant Logic of Marketing and Marketing Ethics
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Abela and Murphy (J Acad Mark Sci 36(1):39–53, 2007) examined Service-Dominant (S-D) logic (Vargo and Lusch, J Mark 68(1):1–17, 2004) from the viewpoint of Marketing Ethics and concluded that whilst S-D logic does not have explicit ethical content, the Foundational Premises (FPs) of S-D logic do have implicit ethical content. They also conclude that what may be needed to make the implicit more explicit is the addition of another FP. The aim of this article is to explore whether S-D logic needs to be modified, if one wishes to construct a theoretical framework for analysis of Marketing that has ethical considerations fully integrated. We critically evaluate the claim that the FPs are inherently ethical and conclude that S-D logic should be modified. We offer an additional FP for consideration that relates to the role of personal and societal values in the co-creation of value. This FP is necessary because of the role that the ethical positions of actors play in exchange behaviour. However, it should be pointed out that whilst the article explores the ethical potential of S-D logic it does not privilege any particular ethical position or code. These concerns will be addressed in subsequent articles: the aim here is to establish the underlying rationale for including an explicit commitment to ethics in S-D logic.
- Abela, A. V., and P. E. Murphy: 2007, ‘Marketing with Integrity: Ethics and the Service-Dominant Logic for Marketing’, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 36(1), 39–53. doi:10.1007/s11747-007-0062-0.
- Aitken, R., D. Ballantyne, P. Osborne, J. Williams (2006) Introduction to the special issue on the service-dominant logic of marketing: insights from The Otago Forum. Marketing Theory 6(3):275. CrossRef
- Amit, R., and P.J. H. Shoemaker. 1993. Strategic assets and organizational rent. Strategic Management Journal 14, no. 1: 33-46. CrossRef
- Barney, Jay B. 1991. Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage. Journal of Management 17, no. 1: 99-120. CrossRef
- Barney, Jay B. 1992. Integrating Organizational Behavior and Strategy Formulation Research: A Resource-based Analysis. In Advances in Strategic Management, ed. P Shrivivasta, A. S. Hugg, and J. E. Dutton, 39-61. Greenwich, CN: JAI Press.
- Bastiat, Frédérick. 1860. Harmonies of Political Economy. London: J. Murray.
- Beatty, Sharon, Lynn Kahle, Pamela Homer, and Shekar Misra. 1985. Alternative Measurement Approaches to Consumer Values: The List of Values and the Rokeach Value Survey. Psychology and Marketing 2: 192. CrossRef
- Carroll, Archie B, Ann K. Buchholtz (2006) Business and Society: Ethics and Stakeholder Management. 6th ed Thomson.
- Conner, K.R., and C.K. Prahalad. 1996. A Resource-Based Theory of the Firm: Knowledge versus Opportunism. Organization Science 7, no. 5: 477-501. CrossRef
- Constantin, James A., and Robert F. Lusch. 1994. Understanding Resource Management. Oxford, OH: The Planning Forum.
- Crane, A., and J. Desmond. 2002. Social Marketing and Morality. European Journal of Marketing 36, no. 5: 548 - 560. CrossRef
- Donaldson, Thomas, and Thomas W. Dunfee. 1999. Ties That Bind: A Social Contracts Approach to Business Ethics. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.
- Durgee, J. F., G. Colarelli O’Connor, and R. Veryzer. 1996. Observations: Translating Values Into Product Wants. Journal of Advertising Research 36, no. 6: 90–99.
- Freeman, R. Edward. 1984. Strategic Management: A Stakeholder Approach. Boston: Pitman.
- Friedman, M.: 1970, ‘A Friedman Doctrine: The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase Its Profits’, New York Times Magazine.
- Gummeson, Evert. 2006. Many-to-Many Marketing as Grand Theory: A Nordic School Contribution. In The Service-dominant Logic of Marketing: Dialog, Debate, And Directions, ed. Robert F. Lusch and Stephen L. Vargo, 339-353. Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe.
- Hunt, Shelby D. 1986. A General Theory of Marketing Ethics. Journal of Macromarketing 6: 5-16. CrossRef
- Hunt, Shelby D 1999. The strategic imperative and sustainable competitive advantage: Public policy implications of resource-advantage theory. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 27, no. 2: 144-159. CrossRef
- Hunt, S. D. 2000. A General Theory of Competition. In N. K. Malhotra (Ed) Marketing for a New Century. Thousand Oaks: Sage
- Ip, Po-Keung. 2010. Business Ethics and the Well-Being of Nations-Is There a Connection? Journal of Business Ethics 95: 97-110. CrossRef
- Kamakura, Wagner A., and Thomas P. Novak. 1992. Value-System Segmentation: Exploring the Meaning of LOV. The Journal of Consumer Research 19, no. 1 (June): 119-132. CrossRef
- Kotler, Philip. 1976. Marketing Management: Analysis, Planning, and Control. 3rd ed. London: Prentice-Hall.
- Kotler, Philip, Linden Brown, Sue Burton, Ken Deans, and Gary Armstrong. 2010. Marketing. 8th ed. Frenchs Forest: Pearson.
- Kotler, Philip, and S. J. Levy. 1969. Broadening the concept of marketing. Journal of Marketing 33, no. 1: 10-15. CrossRef
- Laczniak, Gene R. 2006. Some societal and ethical dimensions of the service-dominant logic perspective of marketing. In The Service-dominant Logic of Marketing: Dialog, Debate, And Directions, ed. Robert F. Lusch and Stephen L. Vargo, 279 - 285. Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe.
- Laczniak, Gene R., and Patrick E. Murphy. 1993. Ethical Marketing Decisions. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Laczniak, Gene R., and Patrick E. Murphy. 2006. Normative Perspectives for Ethical and Socially Responsible Marketing. Journal of Macromarketing 26 2: 154. CrossRef
- Lusch, Robert F. 2006. The Small and Long View. Journal of Macromarketing 26, no. 2 (December 1): 240 -244. doi:10.1177/0276146706291045. CrossRef
- Lusch, Robert F., and Stephen L. Vargo. 2006a. Service-dominant logic: reactions, reflections and refinements. Marketing Theory 6(3):281. CrossRef
- Lusch, Robert F., and Stephen L. Vargo. 2006b. Service-Dominant Logic as a Foundation for a General Theory. In The Service-Dominant Logic of Marketing. Dialog, Debate, and Directions, Armonk/London, ed. Robert F. Lusch and Stephen L. Vargo, 406-420. Armonk: M. E. Sharpe.
- Lusch, Robert F., and Stephen L. Vargo. 2006c. The Service-Dominant Logic of Marketing: Dialog, Debate, and Directions. Armonk, New York: M. E. Sharpe.
- Lusch, Robert F., Stephen L. Vargo, and M. O’Brien. 2007. Competing through service: Insights from service-dominant logic. Journal of Retailing 83, no. 1: 5-18. CrossRef
- Normann, Richard, and Rafael Ramírez. 1993. From Value Chain to Value Constellation. Designing Interactive Strategy. Harvard Business Review 71: 65-77.
- Penrose, Edith Tilton. 1959. The Theory of the Growth of the Firm. Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
- Ramírez, Rafael. 1999. Value Co-Production: Intellectual Origins and Implications for Practice and Research. Strategic Management Journal 20: 49-65. CrossRef
- Rokeach, Milton J. 1973. The Nature of Human Values. New York: The Free Press.
- Schlegelmilch, Bodo. 1998. Marketing Ethics: An International Perspective. London: Thomson.
- Schwartz, Shalom H. 1992. Universals in the Content and Structure of Values: Theoretical Advances and Empirical Tests in 20 Countries. In aesp, ed. Mark P. Zanna. Vol. 25. San Diego: Academic Press.
- Smith, N. Craig, and John A. Quelch. 1987. Ethics in Marketing. Harvard: Harvard University Press.
- Vargo, Stephen L. 2007. Paradigms, Pluralisms, and Peripheries: On the Assessment of the S-D Logic. Australasian Marketing Journal (AMJ) 15(1): 105-108. doi:10.1016/S1441-3582(07)70037-X. CrossRef
- Vargo, Stephen L. 2008. Customer Integration and Value Creation: Paradigmatic Traps and Perspectives. Journal of Service Research 11(2): 211-215. doi:10.1177/1094670508324260. CrossRef
- Vargo, S. L. and R. F. Lusch: 2004, ‘Evolving to a New Dominant Logic for Marketing’, Journal of Marketing 68(1), 1–17. doi:10.1509/jmkg.220.127.116.1136.
- Vargo, Stephen L., and Robert F. Lusch. 2008. Service-dominant logic: continuing the evolution. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 36(1): 1-10. doi:10.1007/s11747-007-0069-6, (March 1). CrossRef
- Vargo, Stephen L., Paul P. Maglio, and Melissa Archpru Akaka. 2008. On value and value co-creation: A service systems approach. European Management Journal 26: 145-152. CrossRef
- Wernerfelt, B. 1984. A resource-based view of the firm. Strategic Management Journal 5: 171-180. CrossRef
- The Service-Dominant Logic of Marketing and Marketing Ethics
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 102, Issue 3 , pp 439-454
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- S-D logic
- Resource-Advantage theory
- co-creation of value
- Industry Sectors