The Ethics of Global Supply Chains in China – Convergences of East and West
- David A. Krueger
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper addresses ethical issues surrounding global supply chains of multinational companies in developing countries. In particular, it considers the development and application of industry-wide ethical standards and codes of conduct for multinational supply chains in China. We describe and analyze the ethical norms and compliance components of such industry-wide regimes in the toy, textile, and consumer electronics industries. We argue that this development represents an positive attempt to institutionalize emergent international ethical standards and practices into this component of the Chinese economy.
- CSC9000T (China Social Compliance for Textile & Apparel Industry), China National Textile and Apparel Council, 2005 (http://www.csrchina.net/page-566.html)
- DeGeorge R.: 1993, Competing with Integrity in International Business. (Oxford University Press, Oxford).
- Electronics Industry Code of Conduct: 2005. (http://www.eicc.info/EICCversion2.0-Oct.10,2005.pdf)
- Hart S.: 2005. Capitalism at the Crossroads: The Unlimited Business Opportunities in Solving the World’s Most Difficult Problems (Wharton School Publishing: New Jersey).
- International Council of Toy Industries: 2001, Code of Business Practices. (http://www.toy-icti.org/info/ code.htm)
- International Council of Toy Industries: 2006, International Council of Toy Industries Care Process (http://www.toy-icti.org/info/care_process.pdf)
- Ngai, P: 2004, “Globalized Factory Regimes and ‚Re-organized Moralism’: Transnational Corporate Codes of Conduct and Labor Politics in China” (working paper) (http://www.cwwn.org/download/GlobalizedFactoryRegimesandRe-organizedMoralism. doc)
- Pomfret J. 2006. Five Classmates and the Story of the New China (Henry Holt & Co:New York).
- Simon J.,C. Powers, and J. Gunnemann: 1986, ‹The Responsibilities of Corporations and Their Owners’, in T. Beauchamp and N. Bowie (eds.), Ethical Theory and Business, 2nd edition. (Prentice-Hall, New York).
- Strategy XXI New York. “Ethical Manufacturing in China,” (http://www.strategy-xxi.com/toyindustry.html)
- The Ethics of Global Supply Chains in China – Convergences of East and West
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 79, Issue 1-2 , pp 113-120
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- global supply chains
- business ethics in China
- business ethics and globalization
- international business ethics
- Industry Sectors
- David A. Krueger (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Business Administration, Baldwin-Wallace College, 275 Eastland Rd., Berea, OH, 44017, U.S.A.